diy solar

diy solar

Need info on a Charger for Gand Design travel Trailer 2800BH

Golferpaul

Hello everyone, first post here. I am planning on adding a Lithium battery 100AH which I just purchased to replace two AGM batteries. Now what I need to know is what charger do I need to charge lithium battery? ( I have 30 amp trailer) I know I will need to change out. I will be adding solar in my next step.
Thanks For your input.
Paul

Welcome to the forum.

What converter do you currently have in your trailer?

Hello everyone, first post here. I am planning on adding a Lithium battery 100AH which I just purchased to replace two AGM batteries. Now what I need to know is what charger do I need to charge lithium battery? ( I have 30 amp trailer) I know I will need to change out. I will be adding solar in my next step.
Thanks For your input.
Paul
What do you have to change out?
Do you have a ac2dc charger for you lead acid batteries?
If yes it may work.
Please tell us the make and model.
a WF-8955 PEC -B which is a standard converter

I'm assuming lifepo4.
That is a 3 stage charge

Its usable.
Pages 6 and 7 of https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/8900-Series-Manual-Updated.pdf describe the charge profile.
44 hours at 13.6 volts is a bit high for my taste but forum wisdom says its "ok".
However, for shore power the best and easiest solution is an ul-458 list inverter/charger.
So would not have to change out? That would be great.
The battery i purchased was a

Relion RB100 Lithium Battery Group 31 100 AH Deep Cycle​

So would not have to change out?
Do you already have an inverter?

You do not have to change out the converter, but you will probably have to address the neutral/ground bond issue.
Also you will have to ensure that you don't have a power loop between the inverter and the converter.
If that is all Greek just holler.
The battery i purchased was a

Relion RB100 Lithium Battery Group 31 100 AH Deep Cycle​

Hope that wasn't too expensive.

You do not have to change out the converter, but you will probably have to address the neutral/ground bond issue.
Also you will have to ensure that you don't have a power loop between the inverter and the converter.

Greek to me, My Trailer is a 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH, I will be adding solar at a later date. Thanks for your help

Greek to me, My Trailer is a 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH, I will be adding solar at a later date. Thanks for your help
Hi Golfer,

I mean no offense, but I have two recommendations for you:
  • Start researching now and learn all about these topics on YouTube, etc OR
  • Find a place that will do it for you
I own a 2018 Imagine 2800BH and I've spent the last 9 months researching things off an on and just now feel confident to do this myself. And I am a technical person and have prior experience with electronics and electrical work. One example of a company who does these kind of installation is http://boundless-ps.com . If you live near Ohio, they might be a great place to check out.

There is also a TON of information in the resources section of this forum. It's also a great place to start.

Hi Golfer,

I mean no offense, but I have two recommendations for you:
  • Start researching now and learn all about these topics on YouTube, etc OR
  • Find a place that will do it for you
I own a 2018 Imagine 2800BH and I've spent the last 9 months researching things off an on and just now feel confident to do this myself. And I am a technical person and have prior experience with electronics and electrical work. One example of a company who does these kind of installation is http://boundless-ps.com . If you live near Ohio, they might be a great place to check out.

There is also a TON of information in the resources section of this forum. It's also a great place to start.
No offense I'm in California, I'm a mechanical Quality Engineer I make the Big Drones that shoot missiles . Any way I'm not a electrical guy and I'm learning the new technology. I do have solar on my home and have a zero electric bill. I want to upgrade to lithium battery that's why I'm here now. I would like a suggestion on what Solar panel I should put on it? I purchased a

Zamp Solar Zs-30a 30 Amp Controller - 30a for $40 brand new I was going to try and find a place to install this for me.

Thanks for any help you could give me

No offense I'm in California, I'm a mechanical Quality Engineer I make the Big Drones that shoot missiles . Any way I'm not a electrical guy and I'm learning the new technology. I do have solar on my home and have a zero electric bill. I want to upgrade to lithium battery that's why I'm here now. I would like a suggestion on what Solar panel I should put on it? I purchased a

Zamp Solar Zs-30a 30 Amp Controller - 30a for $40 brand new I was going to try and find a place to install this for me.

Thanks for any help you could give me

In Cali you probably have a number of placed that specialize in mobile or marine solar.

Will has a bunch of recommendations on his website here: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com . Scroll down to the bottom of the home page and you'll see links to his recommendations for specific components. And he has a ton of good info on his YouTube channel.

$200 used charged twice

No offense I'm in California,
There are a LOT of big cheap panels on craigslist. If you're in northern california I can provide more options than craigslist.
I was think one panel 100 watts? maybe two?
Are you charging a couple phones or trying to power an RV?
Do you have any idea how many watt hours you use in a day? Or more importantly, how many you'd like to use?

> New to solar and looking to size your system. What do you want to power and for how long? Energy Audit.

Your battery will store 12.8v x 100ah = 1280wh
A 100w panel would take several days to charge the battery without even using the battery.

This will give you an idea of how many solar hours you get in your location:
How many "solar hours" of sun do I get per day throughout the entire day at a city near me?

There are a LOT of big cheap panels on craigslist. If you're in northern california I can provide more options than craigslist.

Are you charging a couple phones or trying to power an RV?
Do you have any idea how many watt hours you use in a day? Or more importantly, how many you'd like to use?

> New to solar and looking to size your system. What do you want to power and for how long? Energy Audit.

Your battery will store 12.8v x 100ah = 1280wh
A 100w panel would take several days to charge the battery without even using the battery.

This will give you an idea of how many solar hours you get in your location:
How many "solar hours" of sun do I get per day throughout the entire day at a city near me?
I'm in So California Charge Phones 12v TV? LED lights So a bigger watt panel? Lot of sun down here most days.

diy solar

diy solar
Back