diy solar

diy solar

Lithium Battery vs. old charger

Bill108

I am installing a solar system with a new LiFePO4 lithium battery into my 2018 travel trailer. I am not sure but I suppose that the battery charger in the trailer is an old conventional type. If I plug into electricity at an RV park, I think I will be charging the new battery with an old charger. Everything I read about lithium batteries says that you run the risk of harming the new battery with the old type charger. The battery I purchased has an overcharge protection device on it so am I overthinking this? Should I just go with what I have or install some sort of a switch to isolate the battery when plugged in? Thanks for any help you can provide.

You are correct that LifePo4 batteries are not the same as lead-acid and require a different type of charge cycle to properly fill them. I would suggest digging in to see what kind of charger you have and potentially replacing it with the correct equipment.

This might give you some good insight into your situation.

I'm not endorsing a vendor, but this is right in the wheelhouse for Victron. They make lots of electrical/solar components for RV/Marine applications and would be a good vendor to look at when you determine what you need.

MaikaiLife, thanks for your response. I think my solar panels will keep my battery charged; however, I just didn't want to fry the battery when plugged in to an electric source. Are you saying that I run the risk of harming my battery if I plug into an outside source?

MaikaiLife, thanks for your response. I think my solar panels will keep my battery charged; however, I just didn't want to fry the battery when plugged in to an electric source. Are you saying that I run the risk of harming my battery if I plug into an outside source?
Plugging into an outside source doesn't harm the batteries assuming the device connected to an outside source is set for your battery chemistry. Please read the article I posted, it will explain everything.

I run the risk of harming my battery if I plug into an outside source?
There is no risk, the charger / power supply, ( converter), in your trailer is designed for 12v lead acid batteries and to power 12v appliances. A common converter is the WFCO 9865, this will have float, absorbtion and charge voltages of 13.2, 13.6, 14.4. These voltages are compatable with a lithium battery.
You could check the specification of your converter, but it should not be much different to the 9865.

Back