diy solar

diy solar

Are lithium ion batteries better than lead acid?

There are good solutions that would allow starting and better protect the cells battery.

You could run the charging and regular loads through the BMS and bypass it with just the starter wiring.
You could run a contactor based BMS
You could run a BMS with a shunt trip breaker
Looks like you aren't monitoring cell voltages, an improvement would be to have something showing the individual cell voltages.

There are good solutions that would allow starting and better protect the cells battery.

You could run the charging and regular loads through the BMS and bypass it with just the starter wiring.
You could run a contactor based BMS
You could run a BMS with a shunt trip breaker
Looks like you aren't monitoring cell voltages, an improvement would be to have something showing the individual cell voltages.

Yeah but you can't argue with 9 years. ?

Yeah, I can't argue with luck.

Look at the reports here of bloated cells from charging without a BMS...

Yeah, I can't argue with luck.

Look at the reports here of bloated cells from charging without a BMS...

Nine years isn't luck... This guy is an outlier:

"Electronic engineer for 40 years but now retired and enjoying travelling."

His results are NOT typical or to be expected in the vast majority of cases.

Given the timeframe, I expect he paid a hefty premium for top notch cells, and his OCD ensures cells are within operating range.

:)

As mentioned earlier I occasionally measure cell voltages to ensure runaway is not occurring.
No OCDc. I live with the cells very close and keep an eye on things. The battery monitors help.

The 9 year old 4 cell 300Ah Sinopoly LiFePO4 battery shows no physical signs of bulging and still looks brand new. US$1500 in 2014 here in NZ.
Don't tell anyone but it is mounted on its side with the cells horizontal to fit the stairwell space.

About a year ago I paralleled a 4 cell 280Ah EVE pack just because I could.
As mentioned earlier I perform an annual C/10 capacity test. Converted to Ah it has now reduced from the original 2014 test of 315 to a miserly 299 last November. Should I be concerned? :giggle:

Here is a recent test without a cell balancing check for at least a year forcing the usual 100% SOC bulk 14.1V to 14.5V. About 20 seconds worth at 30A.

Click to enlarge

Attachments

• 47641- Sinopoly Balance.jpg
    47641- Sinopoly Balance.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
The question was asked about my set up.

I've got an unfinished basement and my flooded batteries are sitting on a make shift table made of 2x6 wood (to keep them off the concrete basement floor).

I've got 5 active panels (3 in the shed, waiting for spring to be added to the set up).
Everything is wired to the basement.
I have this EAsun mttp controller.

It's plugged into the 5 batteries, in parallel (red to red to red & black to black to black).

They're plugged into the 2000watt sine inverter.
I've got a power bar plugged into the inverter, which branches out to via pig tail cord to a couple outlets in the kitchen+ extension cord to the washing machine+ kitchen fridge.

It's not as beautifully symmetrical as I've seen on YouTube videos where people have a set up in their shed.
They're small batteries (the size of car batteries).
My inverter has a wired remote (via a telephone cord) wired into the kitchen, so I can press the button to turn it on or off.

I'll take pictures if you want.

My biggest self consciousness is, is the controller set up properly to maximize efficiency.

In humility, I'll admit, when I hear a lot of the terms used (the solar set up lingo), I get intimidated.

I know everyone has the same set up.
Panels into the controller, controller into the batteries, batteries into the inverter.

I'm just learning and want to maximize my efficiency.
I pretty much added one battery at a time.
Every time I did, I haven't noticed a strong enough power endurance.
I keep asking myself...how many batteries do I need to add fridge full time (not just during the day) + my tv + my furnace etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230424_153027.jpg
    Screenshot_20230424_153027.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1705792965238.jpg
    1705792965238.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back