diy solar

diy solar

Need off grid power for my barn

rtshinn

Newbie here!
The background:
My friend in Florida had his solar panels taken down to put on a new roof. The installers slow-walked reinstalling the panels (they had agreed to do it). In the meantime he sold the house, and I ended up buying his whole system, hardware and all for $2000. He brought it all up to my place in Ohio when coming up for a visit. I had little time to do much research. The system was installed in 2017 for ~ $17,000

The equipment:

14 Hanwha Q-cell panels (tied in 2 strings in series at the Florida locale): 290w - 39.2/31.96 open/max volts - 9.63 amps
1 Sunny Boy 3.8-US Grid Tied Inverter: Max 600v input
https://d3g1qce46u5dao.cloudfront.net/data_sheet/proof_sbxx_us_ds_en_30.pdf
1 Iron Ridge railing & mounting hardware for system
1 Electrical boxes, switches, wire, conduit, & breaker (for main?)

I ALSO HAVE:
Allpowers R4000 'Solar Generator Battery' 3600w (6000 peak). Charging Accepts 150vdc 2kw solar, and 120VAC 2kw etc. concurrently as well as EV stations charging, etc. Supposedly can be connected with up to 5 more R4000's for more capacity (I don't think I can use that to get 240v though)
https://iallpowers.com/products/allpowers-r4000-power-station

My installation needs:
Off Grid power for my Barn (it's about 600 ft from the house, no other power anywhere nearby)
120v would be fine, 240v would be better, of course
I have partial and variable sun on a heavily wooded lot, though I will be having some trees harvested soon. I probably get full sun for maybe 3-4 hours a day at this point. Of course, it's Ohio, so....
I'll use the electricity for lighting and regular power tools, not heating. All on an intermittent basis. Don't really need 240v at this point

What are my best cost-effective and practical options, in your viewpoint?

Last edited:
Great you've got your hands on some panels and racking , it's a good start..

But the problem with grid tie inverters like your sunny boys is they are only really any use when you have grid...

you could get a sunny island & batteries, that should work with your sunny boy for an off grid system , they are about $2,500 secondhand + price of batteries

Other than that you have 2 good options:

An AIO (all in one) , like MPP solar ect. And batteries

Or a system with separate components , mppt solar charge controller, batteries, an inverter

Great you've got your hands on some panels and racking , it's a good start..

But the problem with grid tie inverters like your sunny boys is they are only really any use when you have grid...

you could get a sunny island & batteries, that should work with your sunny boy for an off grid system , they are about $2,500 secondhand + price of batteries

Other than that you have 2 good options:

An AIO (all in one) , like MPP solar ect. And batteries

Or a system with separate components , mppt solar charge controller, batteries, an inverter
Yes, the AIO option looks interesting. Someone else mentioned this in another thread, for someone who want to go from off-grid to grid.
Right now on sale for $2,587, includes a 5.1kw battery
I'm looking at it now, to see if it can be totally off-grid. Also, I still have the problem with partial shading of my solar panels, reducing the output of each string. So, it's either micro-inverters, or optmizers.

Last edited:
So, it's either micro-inverters, or optmizers.

Or lots of little strings in parallel

2 or 3 panels in each series depending on your minimum mppt start up voltage

Probably 3 minimum if you're going 48v batteries , 2s makes 60v which is getting a little low for charging 48v battery

Or lots of little strings in parallel

2 or 3 panels in each series depending on your minimum mppt start up voltage

Probably 3 minimum if you're going 48v batteries , 2s makes 60v which is getting a little low for charging 48v battery
Ahhh.. Hadn't thought of that. I'll buy you a Tetley's Bitters next time I'm out that way.?

Looks like startup voltage is 80, if I'm reading the specs correctly. So three panels minimum, in my case. Which ain't too bad...

Do you know if it would be possible to do a string of 4 in series, paralleled to a string of 4 in series (90 and 120), for the inverter input. That doesn't seem like it would work?

Last edited:
Yes, the AIO option looks interesting. Someone else mentioned this in another thread, for someone who want to go from off-grid to grid.
Right now on sale for $2,587, includes a 5.1kw battery
I'm looking at it now, to see if it can be totally off-grid. Also, I still have the problem with partial shading of my solar panels, reducing the output of each string. So, it's either micro-inverters, or optmizers.
I'd pick up 1 or 2 of these... https://ss.currentconnected.com/product/mpp-solar-lv6548-all-in-one/ they will have a higher input voltage than the SGP you linked.
Then build your own batteries or order the batteries separate from SGP.

Edit same input voltage, likely same inverter inside. I'd still go with the 6548(s) from current connected and build the batteries.

Last edited:
Ahhh.. Hadn't thought of that. I'll buy you a Tetley's Bitters next time I'm out that way.?

Looks like startup voltage is 80, if I'm reading the specs correctly. So three panels minimum, in my case. Which ain't too bad

Haha sounds good to me .Tetley's is ok , but there's finer ales than that , have a try of theakstons old peculiar if you can ever get your hands on it , that's a proper ale.

So you've got 4kw of panels , in summer, south facing no shade , they will make average 20kwh a day .

Not sure about winter production it depends how far south you are

Last edited:
Haha sounds good to me .Tetley's is ok , but there's finer ales than that , have a try of theakstons old peculiar if you can ever get your hands on it , that's a proper ale.

So you've got 4kw of panels , in summer, south facing no shade , they will make average 20kwh a day .

Not sure about winter production it depends how far south you are
I believe I had Old Peculiar in a pub in Ohio. In fact I know I did. More than once, so I must have liked it.

Back