diy solar

diy solar

Need some direction - Solar noob purchased new/used 15kW system

STxFarmer

Live in extreme South Texas and just purchased a used/new system ($4,500 for everything) and need some guidance. Was told that the system was installed but never activated due to the company that did the install went out of business. System consist of 39 - JA Solar 385w panels, 39 IQ8+ Enphase invertors, Enphase IQ Combiner 4, and Eaton cutoff switch. Have reached out to Greenlancer to do my permit drawings unless someone has a better idea. Since I know nothing about solar systems was wondering how this system can be monitored if I install it as a grid tied system. Does this system have to be tied back to Enphase to be monitored? Otherwise I think things are pretty straightforward. Get installed and tied to the grid and start producing power. Had a local company do a solar proposal for my house/consumption and they said that an 11.34 kW system was 115% of my current consumption so I am guessing a 15kW system should cover any increase we have due to adding PV and using more power to cool our house better. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I start down this path to add solar to my house.

Sounds like a super good deal. The Enphase IQ Combiner 4 should have a communication gateway built in.

You will probably need to fill out an application with the local electric utility for the grid interconnect premission in addition to the building permit process. In some cases they may limit the size of your system based on historic consumption. You may be able to get the oversized system approved if you can demonstrate future increased electrical demand such as a workshop with power tools or a pool.

Sounds like a super good deal. The Enphase IQ Combiner 4 should have a communication gateway built in.

You will probably need to fill out an application with the local electric utility for the grid interconnect premission in addition to the building permit process. In some cases they may limit the size of your system based on historic consumption. You may be able to get the oversized system approved if you can demonstrate future increased electrical demand such as a workshop with power tools or a pool.
So who does the Combiner communicate with? Do I monitor it on a app or website? Does the system need to me registered with Enphase at all?

The communication interface is for a web access. Enphase maintains a monitoring website: Enlighten.EnphaseEnergy.com. I believe one of the complaints with Enphase is that they require the microinverters to have an internet connection for the warranty to be valid. It may be worth your time to call Enphase and find out how you may be able to transfer the warranty and what the requirements are.

The gateway also allows qualified installers to commission a new system and/or change the region codes or set up the microinverters for off-grid profiles. I started taking the Enphase installer classes online but never finished so am not 100% up to speed on the newest generation IQ8 systems. I'm using, ancient M250 microinverters and an Envoy.

Back