diy solar

diy solar

Need suggestions for keeping car battery charged

JohnLM

Hi. I have a small problem with my car's battery not keeping its charge because I am not driving the car as much, plus, since my place of employment is closer to my house I only drive 1 mile each way. So, I am guessing that the car is not on long enough to keep the battery charged for long. I used to drive 22 minutes to work, now I drive about 5 minutes or less.

To help me keep track of my battery voltage, I use a cigar plugin battery monitor that keeps me constantly informed of the car's battery status, which is currently showing around 12.03 volts. But it fluctuates depending on how long I drive the car. If I drive 20 minutes or more, when I shut off the car, it will show around 12.4 volts.

--> https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0

I am looking for ways to maintain the battery in my car, but because I live in an apt complex, I can't run an electric cord from my window to my car.. plus, it is not allowed.

So, I did some searching on the web and came across this battery maintainer:

--> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Tender-JR-High-Efficiency-800mA-Battery-Charger/782270305

I was thinking of using my Bluetti EB3A (300w) or my Pecron E600 LFP (600w) power station with this device and keeping the unit in my car during the day (I work the night shift), while it charges and/or maintains or gives me the extra boost in the battery. I don't need any jump-starts. I just need to have the battery fully charged. Maybe every day or every other day or so.

If solar is suggested, I did try one of the small panel solar maintainers for car batteries, but they did not charge the battery at all, even though the voltage coming from the solar panel says 18 volts or higher on my external all-purpose digital meter that I use to officially test more accurately the voltage source. Note: this solar panel is from 12 years ago. So maybe it is no longer working properly. I don't know. I did hook it up to my Bluetti EB3A but it did not charge it all all. Instead, the charging "Input" indicator would just flash or blink constantly on it.

I would like to know what do you guys think about that item(s) above? ..or do you have other/better suggestions?
Or, I am open to trying other ideas, TIA.

Last edited:
The trickle chargers do a good job keeping a full battery full... if there isn't much drain on it.

They will not be able to bring a battery that is as deeply discharged as yours is up.

Did you put the solar charger on top of your car or inside it?

What kind of battery and how old is it? Could be that it needs to be replaced.

I would still suggest a solar battery trickle charger. After all, the one you tried was from 12 years ago. A small 10-25W panel should do the trick. If I was doing this myself, I'd just get a small 12v glass panel (not a flex panel) with aluminum frame, put it on the dashboard and wire it directly to the battery. Don't even need a charge controller.

Could always bring the battery inside to charge and walk the mile to work?
Otherwise, agreed with others, just use a solar trickle charger.

If the battery is already damaged from being undercharged it may be time to replace the battery, an auto parts store should test it for free.

Hi. I have a small problem with my car's battery not keeping its charge because I am not driving the car as much, plus, since my place of employment is closer to my house I only drive 1 mile each way. So, I am guessing that the car is not on long enough to keep the battery charged for long. I used to drive 22 minutes to work, now I drive about 5 minutes or less.

To help me keep track of my battery voltage, I use a cigar plugin battery monitor that keeps me constantly informed of the car's battery status, which is currently showing around 12.03 volts. But it fluctuates depending on how long I drive the car. If I drive 20 minutes or more, when I shut off the car, it will show around 12.4 volts.

--> https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0

I am looking for ways to maintain the battery in my car, but because I live in an apt complex, I can't run an electric cord from my window to my car.. plus, it is not allowed.

So, I did some searching on the web and came across this battery maintainer:

--> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Tender-JR-High-Efficiency-800mA-Battery-Charger/782270305

I was thinking of using my Bluetti EB3A (300w) or my Pecron E600 LFP (600w) power station with this device and keeping the unit in my car during the day (I work the night shift), while it charges and/or maintains or gives me the extra boost in the battery. I don't need any jump-starts. I just need to have the battery fully charged. Maybe every day or every other day or so.

If solar is suggested, I did try one of the small panel solar maintainers for car batteries, but they did not charge the battery at all, even though the voltage coming from the solar panel says 18 volts or higher on my external all-purpose digital meter that I use to officially test more accurately the voltage source. Note: this solar panel is from 12 years ago. So maybe it is no longer working properly. I don't know. I did hook it up to my Bluetti EB3A but it did not charge it all all. Instead, the charging "Input" indicator would just flash or blink constantly on it.

I would like to know what do you guys think about that item(s) above? ..or do you have other/better suggestions?
Or, I am open to trying other ideas, TIA.
I had a similar problem to you. Except the vehicle has an electrical drain on it which depleted the battery charge, versus short commute runs in your case. Solution was a river 2 (similar to you eb3a), and a Victron IP22 12/30A charger. Have to keep it at 15A output to avoid going beyond the 300W max output on the river 2. Those battery maintainers/trickle chargers you linked cant achieve a full charge of a big boy battery, only maintain what's already charged up.

You could potentially have the eb3a inside the cabin and then run the AC cable thru the window to the charger that's secured under the hood? If your work parking is secure enough for that setup. Also assuming say 200Wh of effective capacity, that's not a whole lot going into potentially a 80Ah battery. I use 12V 100Ah mini LFP batteries into the solar charge port of my river 2 as an extended battery to allow for a full charge and float.

Screenshot_20231024_174727_Gallery.jpg

Get a 30W solar panel...
Bolt it to a magnet, and slap it on the roof of your car.
Wire in a 10A pwm cheapo charge controller, and let it trickle all day at work...
Put in trunk when you head home.

Hi to the Moderators -- FYI: I have not received any notifications for this topic that any multiple were made.

I have a 2000 olds sih minivan. It is from Texas, I believe. I purchased it about 4 years ago, 178k miles, now 187.5k miles. I don't go very far with it. I was going to build it out into a camper van, but with all the problems, I decided not to. Anyway.

1. @ Supervstech - the only drain I have (that I can tell) is the alarm.

* There is a blinking read light in the radio console, is prob the alarm.
* There is also a red light in the VCR unit. I don't use it, never had, yet.
* I work the night shift. I sleep during the day until 2pm.

2. I am not able to run wires outside my window. It is against policy.

3. @ MiSh - I don't know what type of battery it is, but it is still young, I purchased it 2 1/2 years ago.

* also, I have noticed that now that it is getting colder, especially at night, the battery gets a littler lower in the readings. It just depends on how long I have the car running. Sometimes I let it run for 10 minutes at my job site before I walk into work.

4. the 12-year old solar panel (from k-mart) i mentioned is one of those small 12"x4" and made of glass and heavy, and comes with a controler affixed to it. The controler model # PV-LH0803. It came with a cigar plug and aligator clips. I tried both, and also outside in the sun on the roof.

* note, I do like the solar option best. I just had/have a bad experience with the above one that I currently own.

Hi to the Moderators -- FYI: I have not received any notifications for this topic that any multiple were made.
Scroll to the top, hit watch. It's not broken you just aren't signed up for notifications.
I have a 2000 olds sih minivan. It is from Texas, I believe. I purchased it about 4 years ago, 178k miles, now 187.5k miles. I don't go very far with it. I was going to build it out into a camper van, but with all the problems, I decided not to. Anyway.

1. @ Supervstech - the only drain I have (that I can tell) is the alarm.
Measuring the key off drain would be a better idea than looking for blinking lights.
3. @ MiSh - I don't know what type of battery it is, but it is still young, I purchased it 2 1/2 years ago.
Age doesn't equate to battery health. If it's died multiple times, that severely degrades a battery.

@ 400bird - so far the battery has never died on me. I know as I've been through it before. And in my experience, if the battery dies (I assume you mean, that a person leaves the headlights or fog lights on for instance, then the battery has died in those situations) the battery becomes that much weaker and/or cuts the longevity in half. I had that happen to me just before I got the current battery, where with my previous battery it had died twice in one year, and when the cold weather came, the car would no longer start. I knew it was time to get a new battery. That happened two-plus years ago. I learned that if you kill your battery twice, then it is finished. So far, my current battery has not died on me because I am being more careful/mindful about it now.

..Also, during this past summer, I took it to a local shop and then ran some quick tests on it and the alternator and they found no faults. When I showed them the battery monitor I was using to test and monitor the voltage, the mechanic said don't use those cheap things--they don't work!
But I still use it because its the best and affordable monitor I have at the moment.

This is the bane of anyone who drives 15 minutes or less each day. Every time you start the car, it drains the battery a bit. Too many starts over too long a period of time with not enough charging will kill your battery over time. You can try to revive it with proper charging (a trickle charger won’t cut it) but I’ve mostly found it a waste of time. If your battery is more than 2 years old being treated like this, then just go get a new battery and a 15A/2A charger. Set it for 15A once every 7-14 days, overnight. Use a Bluetti or such to power the charger. Then for the daily driving, get one of the solar powered trickle chargers to add a bit of charge while at work.

If this sounds like a PITA, then just plan on buying a new battery every two years or so. A properly maintained battery can last 5-8 years, or longer if you live someplace not especially hot or cold.

Scroll to the top, hit watch. It's not broken you just aren't signed up for notifications.
he’s the OP, he shouldn’t need to click watch unless as you point out his settings are off. But by default on the settings any reply to a post should in theory generate the notifications to activity on said thread.
It always has for me

he’s the OP, he shouldn’t need to click watch unless as you point out his settings are off. But by default on the settings any reply to a post should in theory generate the notifications to activity on said thread.
It always has for me
Maybe by notifications he means email notices. I believe those are turned off by default. Or maybe he has some sort of “internet security” on his device that messes with or blocks cookies.

I don't understand how this is happening to me now. Well, this low battery issue started over this past summer. I have a tenant in my building who drives to work every day and his job is even closer, and he never has this problem. What am I missing ?

I don't understand how this is happening to me now. Well, this low battery issue started over this past summer. I have a tenant in my building who drives to work every day and his job is even closer, and he never has this problem. What am I missing ?

Apples to oranges. You’d have to dissect a lot of technical data to get to the bottom of that answer. Some guesses:

Your neighbor has an engine that is smaller than yours, or newer (you mentioned yours has 187k miles) or a generally more efficient design, more efficient starter or a better/smarter alternator and thus it takes a fraction of the energy as it takes yours to turn over the engine. Or maybe he puts it on a charger while at work or simply drives more than you or he think he does.

@ tommthum62 - it is working now.
If you have a good relationship with a mechanic, drive to their shop and see if they’ll let you leave it over night on their super fancy big battery charger. Then get one those solar trickle chargers and use it every single day. It will help.

If the battery has never died but the Amazon meter only shows 12.4 after 20 minutes of driving, can you get a voltage measurement with a real volt meter to compare? It may be that the mechanic was right and your little plug in gizmo is inaccurate.

In my current daily, the previous owner installed a USB adaptor with integrated volt meter, it reads at least a volt low compared to actual battery voltage.

Back