diy solar

diy solar

Need suggestions for keeping car battery charged

@ 400bird - I have a real volt meter, a digital multi meter by RadioShack (remember them?) catalog # 2200813.

The car has been sitting since 5am today when I returned from. I went out w/ my multi meter to test the voltage.

Current outside temperature is 55 deg. Its pretty cool out.

Before opening the car door, I looked through the window to read the battery monitor at 12.00 volts. When I measured it with the multi meter, it read 12.09 volts. Now, after opening the door, the cigar battery monitor now reads 11.91 volts. But I am sure the car will start. Now, I've got to go to work as I am late. Will write back any updates later.

@ 400bird - I have a real volt meter, a digital multi meter by RadioShack (remember them?) catalog # 2200813.

The car has been sitting since 5am today when I returned from. I went out w/ my multi meter to test the voltage.

Current outside temperature is 55 deg. Its pretty cool out.

Before opening the car door, I looked through the window to read the battery monitor at 12.00 volts. When I measured it with the multi meter, it read 12.09 volts. Now, after opening the door, the cigar battery monitor now reads 11.91 volts. But I am sure the car will start. Now, I've got to go to work as I am late. Will write back any updates later.
Those volt displays should not be left plugged in... they will drain the battery.
What voltage does it display while you are driving?

The voltage varies while driving. If the battery is pretty low like in the above mentioned posts, the battery monitor will show between 14.20 up to 14.55v. And as it gets charged, it slowly drops down to 13.4x, give or take. But that range depends on how long I drive or have the car on.

I like the battery monitor because it shows me where the charging state is while the car is on, so I have an idea of how long I have before it reaches its final charging status.

The voltage varies while driving. If the battery is pretty low like in the above mentioned posts, the battery monitor will show between 14.20 up to 14.55v. And as it gets charged, it slowly drops down to 13.4x, give or take. But that range depends on how long I drive or have the car on.

I like the battery monitor because it shows me where the charging state is while the car is on, so I have an idea of how long I have before it reaches its final charging status.
If the monitor that is off a half a volt, dropps to 13.4ish... it is dropping below charging voltage...
Sounds like a weak alternator with a regulator that is failing.

Get a second opinion on the alternator.

@ supervstech - can you give me a better alternative to testing for voltage that you can help me fine-tune the issue, be it the battery or alternator?

I want to determine if I have a possible issue and then take it for another opinion. But I want to be sure there is an issue--based on a better test(s) that I run--in order to warrant my going that auto shop route. I don't mean to sound cheap. But I just spent all my savings on recent repairs: $1k for water pump repair (was dripping/pouring coolant) and $400 for my break line that popped when I pressed very hard and fast on the break peddle last week.

I am broke and suffering because of those two major repairs.

I hope all that made sense to you.

After driving a while and the voltage has dropped, get out, while the car is running, check the voltage. It needs to be over 13.5 to charge at all.
Should be over 14V.
You could try spraying down the alternator with decreaser, and some contact cleaner.
It can help a weak voltage regulator and slip ri g set produce voltage longer

Schumacher SC1281 6/12V Fully Automatic Battery Charger, Engine Starter, Boost Maintainer and Auto Desulfator with Advanced Diagnostic Testing- 100 Amp/30 Amp, 6V/12V

Amazon has this at good price and it works well. Easy to use and reliable. Can start a dead battery too.

I currently drive my 1997 toyota corolla around alternator less. As in the field signal is on a switch. The switch is located on the dash and I can turn in on when I need to. During day light driving the alternator is off. sometimes at night I turn it on depending on how far I need to drive. Ive been doing this for about a year now. I charge the battery up when I get home with a victron 12vdc/ 30amp charger. I also bought a 100ah FLA for the car. In all honesty I don't drive more than 40 minutes-60 minutes between recharging the battery.

Works just fine.

I have two cars in the garage, both with AGM batteries which are very intolerant to sitting at a low state of charge. The Mercedes gets driven once or twice a week, the Jaguar sits for weeks at a time. Both are connected to a battery tender and I’ve had no problems.

BatteryMINDer 1510: 12 Volt-1.5 Amp Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Battery Desulfator – Designed for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATV, Boats, RV https://a.co/d/9GfWKAe

Hi. I have a small problem with my car's battery not keeping its charge because I am not driving the car as much, plus, since my place of employment is closer to my house I only drive 1 mile each way. So, I am guessing that the car is not on long enough to keep the battery charged for long. I used to drive 22 minutes to work, now I drive about 5 minutes or less.

To help me keep track of my battery voltage, I use a cigar plugin battery monitor that keeps me constantly informed of the car's battery status, which is currently showing around 12.03 volts. But it fluctuates depending on how long I drive the car. If I drive 20 minutes or more, when I shut off the car, it will show around 12.4 volts.

--> https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0

I am looking for ways to maintain the battery in my car, but because I live in an apt complex, I can't run an electric cord from my window to my car.. plus, it is not allowed.

So, I did some searching on the web and came across this battery maintainer:

--> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Tender-JR-High-Efficiency-800mA-Battery-Charger/782270305

I was thinking of using my Bluetti EB3A (300w) or my Pecron E600 LFP (600w) power station with this device and keeping the unit in my car during the day (I work the night shift), while it charges and/or maintains or gives me the extra boost in the battery. I don't need any jump-starts. I just need to have the battery fully charged. Maybe every day or every other day or so.

If solar is suggested, I did try one of the small panel solar maintainers for car batteries, but they did not charge the battery at all, even though the voltage coming from the solar panel says 18 volts or higher on my external all-purpose digital meter that I use to officially test more accurately the voltage source. Note: this solar panel is from 12 years ago. So maybe it is no longer working properly. I don't know. I did hook it up to my Bluetti EB3A but it did not charge it all all. Instead, the charging "Input" indicator would just flash or blink constantly on it.

I would like to know what do you guys think about that item(s) above? ..or do you have other/better suggestions?
Or, I am open to trying other ideas, TIA.
OP. Short distance driving is a real issue.

Here are comments from my experiences.

1. A fully charged, healthy automotive battery will read 12.85 to 13+ volts after you turn the car off. Once it starts reading 12.5 ish after a full charge, it’s time to replace. Also very cold temps cause voltage to go down…talking below freezing.
2. The alternator alternates voltage. The more electrical demand the higher the voltage. Think mid 14’s for high demand to mid 13’s for low demand. If your alternator won’t put out 14+ have it checked.
3. High demand can be from needing to charge a partially or fully depleted battery, cranking the audio up to 11, having the aircon on high, using the headlights, etc. Think mid 14’s voltage output
4. Low demand would be battery fully charged, no audio, no ac, headlights off. Think mid 13’s voltage output.

From my experience, it takes a good 45 minutes of driving on a regular basis to keep the battery fully charged. My batteries will read more than 13 v right after turning the motor off. This is a surface charge and will decrease to the actual charge voltage as the battery sits. Batteries will read very high 12’s (like 12.8+) after sitting overnight. This is before turning the car on.

The best solution would be to fully charge your battery with a high quality unit that will do a “reconditioning” charge. This can take more than 24 hours. I use Victron chargers. They cost money.

After reconditioning use the charger at least once a week on its normal charge mode for your battery type.

If you are cash challenged, go for a long drive once a week. On your drives to work keep the radio and the ac off. Headlights too if possible.

Solar panels put out somewhat constant voltage. The amps vary depending on how much sun they are getting. Full sun will produce rated voltage and amps. Full sun is when the sun is high in the sky and when panels are pointed directly at the sun.

Solar maintainers add a pwm charge controller. They will put amps into your battery. Amps will vary, voltage will be somewhat constant.

Solar maintainers. Check amps out when connected to your depleted battery. Check all connections. You should see amperage output when in full sun and connected to the battery.

Maintainers will output full rated Amps when pointed straight into the sun. They’ll lose 5-10% when behind glass. As the temp rises inside the car you lose even more. At 150 F you’ll lose 25%. That’s 0.35% for each degree above 77F.

Behind the windshield, in full sun, on a hot day you can expect to lose 1/3 of rated output.

Mounting the solar maintainer outside of the vehicle will work best. With high mid-day sun, mounting on the roof will work. With lower sun (winter months), mounting to the outside of the windshield will work. Point windshield to noon day sun.

If your battery discharged from a full charge overnight, suspect the alternator. A failed diode will cause battery current to travel through the alternator to ground, draining the battery.

Another simple thing. Clean and tighten all battery connections. Take cable ends off battery. Clean the battery posts and inside of battery clamps with a brass brush. Remove any corrosion. Reinstall to proper torque…meaning tight without stripping any threads.

Repeat this process with the positive wire to the alternator and the starter. Find the ground strap. Remove one end, clean and freshen up the connecting surfaces. Do this on both ends. Reinstall.

If you found any wires or connectors that are worn or frayed, replace them.

You can do the above yourself if you are handy. The money saved will likely allow you to buy a quality charger like a Victron, and maybe a torque wrench?

Best of luck. Report back to let us know if you found a workable solution, or if you have issues and seek advice.

As mentioned above, most current DC-DC charging is mostly 100-120W, but I learned that some companies are already upgrading to around 300W input, because the 100W input of car chargers is indeed too slow and cannot be satisfied user needs. ecoflow’s technology is good, but it’s really expensive...

Back