diy solar

diy solar

Need urgent advice about my charge controller!

claudebuildsavan

Hey guys I have another question for you. I have my 12 volt system setup with cables connected to my victron smart Solar charge controller. I don’t have my solar panels set up just yet so it’s only connected to the battery. I thought it would still turn on and my battery has nearly 13 volts but the charge controller doesn’t seem to have power and I can’t find it on Bluetooth either. My system is a closed loop so i didn’t bother grounding the charge controller but maybe I need to connect the ground to the battery? Don’t think this would effect it and any help would be appreciated.

Negative and positive would need to be connected, ground/earth should be connected to a grounding/earthing rod not the battery. But going off your name maybe a buried rod wouldn't be ideal if your setup is on a moving vehicle

Also if your system is to be fitted to a van be careful to make sure your panels aren't grounded they can fry electronics in the van, do a Google search there's plenty of forum posts and literature about best practices when installing on vans.

It should turn on with batt+ and batt- connected, ground is irrelevant to just booting up.

If you don't get a light at all then controller may be smoked.

DON'T REVERSE POLARITY ON THE BATTERY TERMINALS. INSTANT SMOKE.

Pics?

It should turn on with batt+ and batt- connected, ground is irrelevant to just booting up.

If you don't get a light at all then controller may be smoked.

DON'T REVERSE POLARITY ON THE BATTERY TERMINALS. INSTANT SMOKE.

Pics?
I will take some pics soon when I get home, is properly connected to battery terminals, hopefully I can find my receipt aha

I'm pretty sure 9v is minimum to power it.

Unless battery is depleted it should at least light up and start blinking blue.

Just realize you posted the 'I just blew up my battery' post.

Same battery?

Try the controller with any 12v working battery to see if it lights up. Even a small motorsports battery will do for testing

FYI prob best not to repeatedly ask the same q in separate threads.

Forum etiquette and all.

Last edited:

Same battery?

Try the controller with any 12v working battery to see if it lights up. Even a small motorsports battery will do for testing

Forum etiquette and all.

Hey mate, I re made the post and tried to delete the old one but failed to ahah, I know it’s a bad look :(. I will post some photos now , I have the battery hooked up to multiple 12 v control boards and an inverter which are running fine.

Attachments

• IMG_4622.jpeg
    IMG_4622.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4621.jpeg
    IMG_4621.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4620.jpeg
    IMG_4620.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 17

Same battery?

Forum etiquette and all.

Also I know my wiring is quite messy but I made sure not to short it out when connecting.

Is that inline fuse good?

I would Def test another 12v battery with separate feeds to the controller than what you have now just to rule out fuses, shorts, bad cables.

Hey mate, I re made the post and tried to delete the old one but failed to ahah, I know it’s a bad look :(. I will post some photos now , I have the battery hooked up to multiple 12 v control boards and an inverter which are running fine.
I bet you forgot to add a fuse to that inline fuse holder on the positive to the controller :)

Last edited:
I can guarantee there is absolutely a fuse on there but I will double check it tho aha
I run into that all the time where people buy the inline fuse bundles and forget they don't come with fuses normally.

Easy fix adding the missing fuse to the holder.

I run into that all the time where people buy the inline fuse bundles and forget they don't come with fuses normally.

Easy fix adding the missing fuse to the holder.
Yeah I can imagine, I had a question for ya , do I need to ground the mppt since it’s in a van on a closed circuit? Cheers. :)

A multimeter directly on the MPPT terminals will tell all.

Double check polarity.

Red and black sometimes get confusing.

Yeah I can imagine, I had a question for ya , do I need to ground the mppt since it’s in a van on a closed circuit? Cheers. :)

According the the manual for your controller :

Chassis grounding (only for the 30A model)

A separate ground path for the chassis ground is permitted because the chassis is isolated from the positive and the negative terminals.

---

That said I don't see it being needed really and its not going to effect it powering up so its not causing the problem your having.

Back