diy solar

diy solar

new all electric sailing catamaran

gowger

Hi All,

I'd like to introduce my project which might be interesting due to some novel aspects and it's complexity.

Currently being built it's a sailing catamaran with two 30kw (25kw continuous) water cooled electric propulsion motors that will also generate while sailing and the boats motion turns the propellers. There will also be a solar array of at least 3kw , an 18kw diesel generator as an emergency range extender, and two victron quattro charger/inverters.

The main battery banks will be 48V, about 100KWh total, configured as 3 x 16S banks each side. Most of the high load components are 48V apart from fridge /freezer There are also requirements for 12V and 24V circuits for some of the onboard instrumentation. Probably we will use an independent 12V battery bank for some of the critical systems, in fact I think it may even be a regulatory requirement for the VHF radio.

We are still in the design phase of the power circuits, and trying to select the right BMS. The BMS I had initially selected has major supply chain issues and is no longer taking new orders, so I'm on the look again for a BMS that can meet the brief.

The reasons I liked the first provider was as follows:
  • Victron compatible CAN BUS data stream, as well as multiple others
  • Highly configurable, allowing flexible configurations for various battery chemistry, potentially new ones in future.
  • Non mosfet switching, allowing triggering external relays of whatever rating that is needed. High current loads for propulsion makes MOSFET switching inappropriate.
  • Master slave architecture, for scalability

I particularly like open source designs because that allows easier integration with other systems such as the signalk server which can generate very insightful dashboards of data among many many other features that are hard to live without once you have them.

I'm currently considering the ENNOID-BMS , JKBMS and Orion BMSs.

I'd love to hear the opinions of some people here who are certainly more experienced than I with these systems.

Back