diy solar

diy solar

Converting my Catamaran to electric motors

patrickza

A quick introduction here to myself and my upcoming project. I'm Patrick, originally from South Africa, but moving to Croatia soon where I've bought a modified 1976 Catalac 9M catamaran:
1.gr.jpg
This is a 4 year old picture, the boat isn't anywhere near as clean and shiny at the moment, but it'll get back to that.

The previous owner, a German engineer, did a lot of work I quite liked and would have done anyway if I bought a standard boat. The front cabins have been joined to make a king sized cabin, there's now full standing headroom in the salon, and a hardtop over the cockpit with a decent enclosure. He also did a couple of things that need to be undone, primarily moving the backstays from the rear arch back to the original attachment points, and cleaning up the wiring spaghetti!

When I bought it it had twin 30HP Perkins diesels onboard. They're supposed to be really great engines, though completely overpowered for this boat. Sadly I married a woman with the worlds worst superpower. She has the sense of smell of a bloodhound, and either the diesels had to go or I'd need to find a new wife. Fortunately I'm a huge fan of electric propulsion, and have built quite a few different electric vehicles, so the wife got to stay. It'll also be much easier for me maintaining the electric setup rather than learning how to be a diesel mechanic.

The Perkins will both hopefully get sold when I get back to Croatia in April, and then I'll have a bit of cash to pay for the electric motors. I was planning on installing a pair of electric outboards, but now I'm leaning more towards electric inboards since it's already a shaft driven boat.

Then in terms of battery I'm hoping for 16 300AH lifepo4 cells for a total of around 15kWH in a 48v pack. If anyone knows of a trustworthy supplier who can deliver to Croatia, please let me know! I see Amy from Luyuan comes very highly recommended, but if there's more suppliers with decent 300ah cells at a a fair price I'll consider other offers.

To keep it all charged I'm planning on 8 x Sunpower Maxeon 3 400w panels, for a total of 3.2kW.

Anyway, hope to get a lot of advice on the bits and pieces here, as while I've build EVs before, this is my first build using solar.

Here's a few more pictures for you. Again they're all old. The boat still looked good, but there was obviously a lot of wear and tear and sun damage that needs to be sorted out:

16 Cockpit6 Anonymous.jpg
145593-scaled.jpg
841687-scaled.jpg
42108-scaled.jpg

Hello Patrick.
I envy you for this beautiful boat. I have the same plans as you. But I am still looking for a similar catamaran.
I have had very good experience with this supplier. Delivery to Croatia should also not be a problem.
I recommend these cells.
If you are looking for a project partner and part owner of the boat I would be happy if you contact me.
I have experience with electric drives, batteries and solar technology.

Kind regards from Austria, Reini

Make the bottom super smooth and use the Diesel. Learn to Fly the spinaker you be all right. You don't need waste money on batteries, it's called sailing for a reason. Dump the Wife in the Horse Latitudes

Last edited:
Hello Patrick.
I envy you for this beautiful boat. I have the same plans as you. But I am still looking for a similar catamaran.
I have had very good experience with this supplier. Delivery to Croatia should also not be a problem.
I recommend these cells.
If you are looking for a project partner and part owner of the boat I would be happy if you contact me.
I have experience with electric drives, batteries and solar technology.

Kind regards from Austria, Reini
Thanks Reini. It needs a fair amount of work to look that good again, but I'm happy to put in the effort. And thanks for the recommendation on the supplier. I'm happy for all the technical help I can get, but I'm planning to live aboard, so I'm not looking to share ownership.

Make the bottom super smooth and use the Diesel. Learn to Fly the spinaker you be all right. You don't need waste money on batteries, it's called sailing for a reason. Dump the Wife in the Horse Latitudes
I've grown quite fond of my wife, so I think I'll keep her :)

I suspect over the long term the diesels would cost more than the batteries will. I'm willing to take the chance on that.

Great idea. Maybe... keep a "spare" battery - in the sense that you charge it, but keep it disconnected from the motors - for.. safety, you know.
You wouldn't want to be caught in a crowded situation with wind and all, and have the engines run out of power, would you? ;·)

I'm also curious how you plan to fit 8 square metres of panels on the boat. Have you considered a couple of wind generators?
-

Great idea. Maybe... keep a "spare" battery - in the sense that you charge it, but keep it disconnected from the motors - for.. safety, you know.
You wouldn't want to be caught in a crowded situation with wind and all, and have the engines run out of power, would you? ;·)

I'm also curious how you plan to fit 8 square metres of panels on the boat. Have you considered a couple of wind generators?
-
I may have a backup petrol outboard as a last resort...

As for the panels, it's 8 panels, but nearly 14.2 square meters of panels!

Here's how that looks:
SolarPlan.JPG

Interesting, light, high quality modules with good performance has the company „DAS Energie„ in Austria. This makes you more flexible in the construction and saves some weight

I think it would be good to divide the modules into as many individually controlled units as possible in order to still achieve many strings with a high yield in the case of partial shading, which can hardly be avoided on the boat.
As a controller I find the Victron Smartsolar MPPT 100/20 very good. This can charge batteries from 12- 60 volts, is small, light and easy to setup per Smartphone

I think it would be good to divide the modules into as many individually controlled units as possible in order to still achieve many strings with a high yield in the case of partial shading, which can hardly be avoided on the boat.
As a controller I find the Victron Smartsolar MPPT 100/20 very good. This can charge batteries from 12- 60 volts, is small, light and easy to setup per Smartphone
We think alike. I'm planning on using 4 victron 100/20 mppt's 1 for every 2 panels.

Back