diy solar

diy solar

New Delta Pro Ultra and Smart Panel 2

Is it me of the SHP2 looks like a step back in certain aspects? It looks like the generator input is controlled with something like an interlock? If that’s the case that won’t be allowed in Canada.

If anyone is looking for "1 spot" for most of all of the up to date info one of the members from the FB groups has a great website detailing a lot of good information:

Edit: funny enough there's more info here than on EcoFlows website?

So the Delta Pro Ultra is launched at $5799.00. I have seen discount codes for up to $1000.00 off, however they sold coupons for $300.00 that only gives $1500.00 off which is effectively $1200.00. Wondering if anyone knows if the coupon be applied along with the discount code?

If I go ALL-IN-ONE, it is looking like either the APOLLO split phase (+2 expansion batteries) or the ULTRA. Help me out.

This unit would be placed remotely at an off-grid cabin (320 SF heated space, 1 hr away) visited 1-2X/month. Initial expandability might be to 1200 square foot metal building. Not afraid to get additional units.

Loads at cabin would be bare bones, refrigerator, HVAC to maintain above freezing, modest comfort during seasonal visits. Utility power could be had. Solar exposure, wind exposure at land very good.

My main goals (in order) are:

1) Reliability
2) Customer service, tech support
3) Price per unit energy
4) Autonomy
5) Communications
6) Redundancy
7) Expandability

Positives of Apollo:
1) autonomous start on solar
2) lighter individual parts
3) more robust communications
4) 4400W/500V solar
5) cabling is straightforward
6) lighter unit parts

Positives of DPU:
1) Larger inverter 7.2W
2) Larger capacity 6 kWh
3) Dual hi/lo voltage solar
4) 450V solar on hi volts
5) single paired unit for 240V
6) cheaper per KW/kWh(?)

Currently have 12Vx235W (37.4VOC/8.3A Isc) unused at home. Could throw them on to either unit, get additional power as needed, topping off with generator. Location even has significant wind possibility.

I don't need 240 on my little building on the land but could see needing a well pump powered.

I could see needing 120V redundancy at home (1 hr) so splitting the Apollo would is a plus.

64 & capable, but the Ultra battery is over my physical lift, rolling okay.

I'm surprised they're already coming out with new versions of these. It was just announced an hour ago. Thoughts?

This is all the info available at the moment:

1. DELTA Pro Ultra is a whole-home backup
solution that offers unwavering emergency
backup and energy independence. A single
unit comes with unrivaled capacity and
output that run your entire home, and back
up even longer with Smart Home Panel 2.
It's ever so flexible that it can expand, stack
up, and move to meet ever-changing needs.​

I'm surprised they're already coming out with new versions of these. It was just announced an hour ago. Thoughts?

Last edited:
An interesting exchange seen on the EcoFlow Facebook page. The company spokesperson is claiming a 12W self consumption rate.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 5.03.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 5.03.27 PM.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 12
An interesting exchange seen on the EcoFlow Facebook page. The company spokesperson is claiming a 12W self consumption rate.
That's with the inverters off and DC outputs off, just the unit on. They either didn't understand the question or are taking advantage of the question being vague enough to answer it in an exciting way. There are tons of YouTube tests of this already from Hobotech, jasonoid, etc. Jasonoids test ended up with 7% battery usage in 12 hours with Inverter on, at least 35W, and pretty much all power stations are known to under report when running only the inverter and/or very small loads. I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 50W.

The EcoFlow Delta Pro Ultra has far too low of a peak power capacity for my home's inductive loads.

The market for these things should be limited to jobsites. They have found a new home with offgrid/preppers who don't speak ohm.
The Delta pro ultra is basically two Delta 2 pros in a single unit. So for those running off grid on two of them, it would simplify things to go with the ultra. And then if you need, a second stack.

So the Delta Pro Ultra is launched at $5799.00. I have seen discount codes for up to $1000.00 off, however they sold coupons for $300.00 that only gives $1500.00 off which is effectively $1200.00. Wondering if anyone knows if the coupon be applied along with the discount code?
No you cannot stack coupon codes. Total price for DPU (1X inverter and 1x battery) after the pre-order coupon is $4,299 before tax.

HAVE HAD OFF-GRID FLOODED LEAD ACID BATTERIES SINCE 2012. ... My goal is baseline secure power for heat, refrigeration, lights. I have that with my 48V 840AH FLA system. I have 240V available but all of my loads are 120V.

What I don't have is portability.

Bottom line? I like the EcoFlow Delta Pro (pairing) system for the name brand reliability, the redundancy & "splitability" between the home and my land but the DPU does look impressive.

I'm in a good position where money is not the key factor. My system was "tens of thousands" 12 years ago and now you can get the same thing in a box for $6,000, "blood guts and feathers."

I don't mind learning, might even do a DIY system later, just want redundancy now. Trying to time things to avoid "infant mortality," avoid FOMO, while getting the best bang for the buck.

So: would I be best off with the Delta Pro pair, the DPU, or even the Hysolis Apollo 2X pairing option? IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE OUT THERE THAT I'M MISSING?

Looking for a recommendation to create redundancy, expandability at home, also to take something (semi) portable an hour away so the roller cart looks good. The ability to charge my batteries through an existing 50 amp generator connection makes the DPU attractive.

1. Have they worked out all or most of the bugs of the DPU?
2. If, as someone said, the DPU is just a "Delta Pro pairing in one box," is the DPU worth the risk of lacking redundancy between the pair?
3. Is there anything else on the market that people like?
4. Is Eco-Flow reliability, name branding, customer service as good or better than anybody else's?

Things are evolving so quickly with these portable power stations, light years since I did my FLA system, that it is kind of becoming a blur, even for a retired marine engineer.

There is the growth in the industry, the efficiencies, the add-on values like communications, expandability.

Last edited:
HAVE HAD OFF-GRID FLOODED LEAD ACID BATTERIES SINCE 2012. ... My goal is baseline secure power for heat, refrigeration, lights. I have that with my 48V 840AH FLA system. I have 240V available but all of my loads are 120V.

<SNIP>

1. Have they worked out all or most of the bugs of the DPU?
2. If, as someone said, the DPU is just a "Delta Pro pairing in one box," is the DPU worth the risk of lacking redundancy between the pair?
3. Is there anything else on the market that people like?
4. Is Eco-Flow reliability, name branding, customer service as good or better than anybody else's?

Things are evolving so quickly with these portable power stations, light years since I did my FLA system, that it is kind of becoming a blur, even for a retired marine engineer.

There is the growth in the industry, the efficiencies, the add-on values like communications, expandability.
Hey Mike,

I'll just post a link for you here (see below). My experience with EcoFlow was overall not a good one. The bottom line is that I returned almost everything I purchased (>$20k) and ended up just keeping a single EcoFlow Delta Pro (as a backup in my RV) and several 400W portable panels. I did have some isolated good customer service experiences (mainly when I had to turn to one of there higher up online representative when the normal customer service shenanigans left me hanging), but I wouldn't trust EcoFlow at all, given my experiences, for anything of great importance (e.g., like running your house electrical). I had the same idea of using my DP's for my RV when on the road and them hauling them inside to support my home, but I never even got that far, as the DP's continually stopped working

Here's a thread of my experience of about a year ago or so.

Things may have changed I seemed to be an outlier in terms of the problems I had, but simply the (lack of) customer service is enough to keep me from never buying from them again. I have chatted about this (a little too late, as it was after the fact / during the latter part of the debacle) with an Uncle-in-Law of mine, a master electrician who has been in charge of installing entire building systems with high electrical demands (e.g., for the local Tesla dealership). He said he refuses to work on anything where EcoFlow was / is involved.

-S

P.S. I know it sucks to hear that b/c their system(s) seems awesome! I had a hard time giving up on them b/c of the utility of what they offer, but eventually, the mayhem and time spent was simply too much.

Back