diy solar

diy solar

New Delta Pro Ultra and Smart Panel 2

ddeatrich

I'm surprised they're already coming out with new versions of these. It was just announced an hour ago. Thoughts?

This is all the info available at the moment:

1. DELTA Pro Ultra is a whole-home backup
solution that offers unwavering emergency
backup and energy independence. A single
unit comes with unrivaled capacity and
output that run your entire home, and back
up even longer with Smart Home Panel 2.
It's ever so flexible that it can expand, stack
up, and move to meet ever-changing needs.​

There's some more info here. 6kWh stackable batteries, 7.2kWh output (not sure if you need two battery modules for that number), no more horizontal space wasting cables from base to expansion units. Can stack up to five of the 6kWh for a 30kWh stack.

Screenshot_20231020_112326_Chrome.jpg

Here is my take on some pros/cons on what I call extreme DIY friendly platforms like Ecoflow solar generators (inverter, battery, charge controller in a chassis) all in ones as opposed to their big brothers like Sol-Ark inverters + server rack batteries which are NOT DIY friendly and much more complex. From personal experience, I'm happy with my Delta Pro's and SHP 1.0. I wont upgrade though when the ultra platform is available. In my view If I had to do it all over again I would invest in either EG4 18K or my biased pick, the Sol-Ark 15K inverters + EG4 LLv2 battery platform for home backup. I think the ROI is greater for the dedicated inverter/battery system platforms and you cant beat the expandability potential for solar input, battery amp hour expandability, etc., Sol-Ark or from my research on the EG4 18K's can deliver for whole home backup power/power shaving or completely off grid.
In terms of the comprehensive DIY systems/solar generator all in ones for whole house backup?
I can only speak to the Ecoflow whole house DP's system setup with smart home panel since as a DIYer, it is what got me into solar and was the the first thing I did for my home in terms of backup solar systems as a DIY project. I had no experience at all when I started with solar installations.
I love the fact that the Delta pros are extremely DIY friendly and you can use one of the delta pros as a gas can if you own an EV. Also other utilitarian applications are for SHTF or worksite power, because of the easy portability. I don't see any wheels on the research I have done so far for the Delta Pro ultra platform. The Zendure V superbase platform not only has wheels, they are motorized.
1697890030521.png
Ecoflow makes a great product in the delta pro platform. They address software issues frequently and like Tesla, improve their products over time via OTA updates. I can only speak to the delta pros plus the available smart home panel and not the other products they are bringing to market, which is a ton lately. I'm still looking forward to learning more about the ultra though. The specs look pretty good:
- 6kWh-90kWh Capacity, 120V & 240V, 7.2kW-21.6kW Output
A peeve I do have with Ecoflow is, I think that advertising in terms of battery backup discharge capacity and it can be deceptive to solar newbies. You probably can last on battery backup for a while, however it certainly wont last long powering up a 5 ton AC even with 90 kwh in hot summer heat more than 2/3 days and I am being generous. Ecoflow sent a debut email for the ultra platform without asterisk on battery discharge capacity yesterday:

- "Month-long power security.
One unit, all appliances
covered."

I'm not blasting them and I just learned that this was even coming to market in November 2023 yesterday via email from the vendor as a customer of theirs with opt in advertising.

Last edited:
I would strongly advise against anyone buying Zendure products. The Superbase V promised a lot but has proven to be buggy and easily bricked. Many, including myself, have been left with a monstrosity that can't output AC because it was bricked by a bad firmware update. What's worse, Zendure is now saying that because I have had the product for more than 30 days, I can niether get a refund or replacement. See their response below.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 08-05-16 Mail - JTV JTV - Outlook.png

Here is my take on some pros/cons on what I call extreme DIY friendly platforms like Ecoflow solar generators (inverter, battery, charge controller in a chassis) all in ones or their big brothers like Sol-Ark inverters + server rack batteries. From personal experience, I'm happy with my Delta Pro's and SHP 1.0. I wont upgrade though when the ultra platform is available. In my view If I had to do it all over again I would invest in either EG4 18K or my biased pick, the Sol-Ark 15K inverters + EG4 LLv2 battery platform for home backup. I think the ROI is greater for the dedicated inverter/battery system platforms and you cant beat the expandability potential for solar input, battery amp hour expandability, etc., Sol-Ark or from my research on the EG4 18K's can deliver for whole home backup power/power shaving or completely off grid.
In terms of the comprehensive DIY systems/solar generator all in ones for whole house backup?
I can only speak to the Ecoflow whole house DP's system setup with smart home panel since as a DIYer, it is what got me into solar and was the the first thing I did for my home in terms of backup solar systems as a DIY project. I had no experience at all when I started with solar installations.
I love the fact that the Delta pros are extremely DIY friendly and you can use one of the delta pros as a gas can if you own an EV. Also other utilitarian applications are for SHTF or worksite power, because of the easy portability. I don't see any wheels on the research I have done so far for the Delta Pro ultra platform. The Zendure V superbase platform not only has wheels, they are motorized.
View attachment 173386
Ecoflow makes a great product in the delta pro platform. They address software issues frequently and like Tesla, improve their products over time via OTA updates. I can only speak to the delta pros plus the available smart home panel and not the other products they are bringing to market, which is a ton lately. I'm still looking forward to learning more about the ultra though. The specs look pretty good:
- 6kWh-90kWh Capacity, 120V & 240V, 7.2kW-21.6kW Output
A peeve I do have with Ecoflow is, I think that advertising in terms of battery backup discharge capacity and it can be deceptive to solar newbies. You probably can last on battery backup for a while, however it certainly wont last long powering up a 5 ton AC even with 90 kwh in hot summer heat more than 2/3 days and I am being generous. Ecoflow sent a debut email for the ultra platform without asterisk on battery discharge capacity yesterday:

- "Month-long power security.
One unit, all appliances
covered."

I'm not blasting them and I just learned that this was even coming to market in November 2023 yesterday via email from the vendor as a customer of theirs with opt in advertising.
I wouldn't say a Sol-Ark and server rack batteries are "extreme diy friendly". That would be saying any system is extreme diy friendly then, because they're all very similar. I've installed both ecoflow products and Sol-Ark + server batteries for my own home. The sol-ark install took way more work and effort to get set up. Worth it, but requires tons of research to do, rather than the plug and play ecoflows.

I would strongly advise against anyone buying Zendure products. The Superbase V promised a lot but has proven to be buggy and easily bricked. Many, including myself, have been left with a monstrosity that can't output AC because it was bricked by a bad firmware update. What's worse, Zendure is now saying that because I have had the product for more than 30 days, I can niether get a refund or replacement. See their response below.

View attachment 173387
That sucks. I am glad I dodged that landmine. I almost got Zendure. That response was blaming the customer for not reading the after sales support arrangement. Apparently they are saying anyone living in a remote area is not covered. I would not call the HI islands a remote area, if that is where you live? Not defending them, because that policy stinks. I wonder how they would treat customers in the lower 48 states with similar issues? I know Ecoflow, at least for my location comes through and has helped in the past for hardware issues even after a year of ownership. Better company and support structure then Zendure for sure, currently based on your feedback.

I wouldn't say a Sol-Ark and server rack batteries are "extreme diy friendly". That would be saying any system is extreme diy friendly then, because they're all very similar. I've installed both ecoflow products and Sol-Ark + server batteries for my own home. The sol-ark install took way more work and effort to get set up. Worth it, but requires tons of research to do, rather than the plug and play ecoflows.
Maybe how a presented it was not clear. I meant and will edit if necessary that the ecoflows were extreme diy and their big brothers were NOT.

Fixed

Apparently they are saying anyone living in a remote area is not covered. I would not call the HI islands a remote area, if that is where you live? Not defending them, because that policy stinks.
Actually I have been messaging back and forth for months, and that policy was ammended because I told them I'm not in the USA. They had already accepted liability and made all sorts of offers including a refund of $1750.00. Then someone else basically said, forget what we offered, you're getting diddly squat.Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 12-35-16 Mail - JTV JTV - Outlook.pngScreenshot 2023-10-21 at 12-31-48 Mail - JTV JTV - Outlook.png

Last edited:
Actually I have been messaging back and forth for months, and that policy was ammended because I told them I'm not in the USA. They had already accepted liability and made all sorts of offers including a refund of $1750.00. Then someone else basically said, forget what we offered, you're getting diddly squat.View attachment 173419View attachment 173420
Are you in Hawaii? I don't see how that's not part of the USA, plus their email talks about remote islands without freight services, while clearly HI does.

Not sure how this is relevant, but it was bought on kickstarter, and shipped to a US freight forwarder. I had communicated that in an email to them months before the item was even ready for shipment. Additionally, it was only after the device was bricked by their own faulty firmware update and they realized that I was not in the US that they amended their policy to state the warranty doesn't cover shipping to remote islands. So you know, this has been ongoing since August and they have made lots of promises which I can publish showing that they were willing to refund or replace. Zendure is simply a shady company with a bad product for which they accept no responsibility.

Not sure how this is relevant, but it was bought on kickstarter, and shipped to a US freight forwarder. I had communicated that in an email to them months before the item was even ready for shipment. Additionally, it was only after the device was bricked by their own faulty firmware update and they realized that I was not in the US that they amended their policy to state the warranty doesn't cover shipping to remote islands. So you know, this has been ongoing since August and they have made lots of promises which I can publish showing that they were willing to refund or replace. Zendure is simply a shady company with a bad product for which they accept no responsibility.
It seems to be common for shoddy companies to decline refunds to those outside the US banking system and legislative perview. Basically they'll refund those within the US and those outside that territory are told to go pound sand. Disgraceful behaviour.

Maybe @Will Prowse can apply some pressure or make a super quick video bemoaning lack of support.

It seems to be common for shoddy companies to decline refunds to those outside the US banking system and legislative perview. Basically they'll refund those within the US and those outside that territory are told to go pound sand. Disgraceful behaviour.

Maybe @Will Prowse can apply some pressure or make a super quick video bemoaning lack of support.
I don't have a unit to make video on, but I'll keep this in mind if I do mention them. Or maybe someone can send me a unit with problems that I care share in a video.

Agree
Yeah, should have taken Will's advice about these companies charging us to be beta testers.
Agreed, FWIW, I even posted a while ago about Zendure superbase V on this platform and even did an impulse buy putting 23k on my credit card getting the full kit LIPO version with smart home panel. Thank God I was able to cancel and get refunded fully. I did see in Will's youtube content where he stated (paraphrasing) established companies using kickstarter to fund a product, is somewhat suspect and to stay away. I did take his advice. I have had limited success with kickstarter products and am done getting involved with any campaigns. One I'm very happy with is the sous vide gun flame thrower, That's pretty much it. Never again.

greed, FWIW, I even posted a while ago about Zendure superbase V on this platform and even did an impulse buy putting 23k on my credit card getting the full kit LIPO version with smart home panel. Thank God I was able to cancel and get refunded fully.
Yeah I remembered that. Was of the same mind about cancelling but the price was really enticing. Got another offer today of getting back 50% refund and the balance if I return it to their US warehouse. They make these offers and withdraw them at the drop of a hat. What I do know is that this bad publicity does them no good.

Back