diy solar

diy solar

New EG4-8KEXP-240 Inverter

Chris72

Coming soon from signature solar. It almost looks like a GSL 8k Signature solar has it listed for 2799. The specs don't say whether it has a 200 amp pass through.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221124_094951_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221124_094951_Chrome.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 32
  • EG4-8000KEXP-240V-Specification-Sheet-1.0.1.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 42
  • EG4 8000KEXP-240 Manual 1.0.0.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
Interesting.
90 lbs but only 1 second surge to 12kw.
115w idle consumption.
The 4 mppt inputs would be nice.
Might have figured out what I'm going to spend some of 30% tax credit on.

Debating getting one of those or
Getting 2 eg4 6000 ? And the 30kw rack
Anyone had experience with them

Not sure what the advantage of this unit would be compared to 2 of the EG4 6500. The cost on the new model is a little higher than 2 6500 and the power output of the 6500s combined would be quite a bit higher. Sure, there are other factors to consider, but I'm just not seeing what the advantages are yet and the price is higher than I was expecting.

Thanks for your reply the EG 6000 I believe is off grid only versus hybrid for the new model EG4 8kp240v ?
I like the 6000 records has a dependable unit
Now the hybrid options could be something worth investigating.
But some says that it is a copy of a brand that had software issues?

Last edited:
Not sure what the advantage of this unit would be compared to 2 of the EG4 6500. The cost on the new model is a little higher than 2 6500 and the power output of the 6500s combined would be quite a bit higher. Sure, there are other factors to consider, but I'm just not seeing what the advantages are yet and the price is higher than I was expecting.
I am not an expert but conceptually to me the big advantage is that the EG4-8KEXP-240 can be Grid Tied such that excess Solar could be fed out to the grid & thus use the utility company "like a battery" for any excess power generated from Solar... If your 12KW of PV produced extra energy during the day (more than your loads & your batteries were full) you could export to the grid (with cooperation of the utility company) during the day & then get that back at night.

For me that could be good as my utility doesn't pay me for any excess produced and I can't bank any excess to the next period but being able to use the utility as a "battery" could make sense for some folk. One concern I have had with off-grid type setups is over-producing during peak times & something like this could help with that...

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies it is appreciated
I believe I will go with the 2 X EG4 6000 units, for their well proven performance and reliability, also if one unit fail I still can have 6kw output with 120/240v with one unit alone

Oh Will just did a video

It's not just endless Firmware issues, these Megarevo's tend to go boom and blow boards.
I have no idea how Will has never heard of them, there have been posts about them going back from at least 6 months ago.

It's not just endless Firmware issues, these Megarevo's tend to go boom and blow boards.
I have no idea how Will has never heard of them, there have been posts about them going back from at least 6 months ago.
At about 8:40 in the video @Will Prowse said he was checking for continuity while the inverter is on..... If he is measuring for voltage, that makes sense to me. If he is measuring resistance, I am not sure I would trust the results. The existing voltage on the circuit could certainly mess up the reading.

Will also commented that the manual was not clear about the N-G bond. (You have probably seen other threads with my rants about the lack of documentation about grounding and bonding before. Imagine another rant here) WILL: Did you ask Sig Solar about the bonding? If I followed the video, the set-up shown has the input and output neutrals tied together. Is this supported?

Will also commented that the manual was not clear about the N-G bond. (You have probably seen other threads with my rants about the lack of documentation about grounding and bonding before. Imagine another rant here) WILL: Did you ask Sig Solar about the bonding? If I followed the video, the set-up shown has the input and output neutrals tied together. Is this supported?
Warning PURE SPECULATION FOLLOWS:

I wonder if tying the input and output neutral together is the problem with not getting the zero-grid controls working. My first reaction is no. As long as the two hots are not showing current there should be no power going to the grid. However, maybe something about the neutrals is creating a false reading.

I am supprised as well, I think I first heard about them in late 2021, around the time of the Deye Sol-ark deal and the Deye inverters got kicked out of the US. I alwasy thought the Megarevo were just rebranded Deye inverters so I am surprised they made it to market here. I could be wrong about the rebranded Deye inverters.

Back