diy solar

diy solar

New GOAL ZERO YETI 1500X vs BLUETTI AC200

I am from Austria and I could buy on indiegogo if I would like to. But shipping will be from September to October/November - that's what BLUETTI announced.
Jeez you don't read well.
Go look at the Indiegogo page.
[Explanation for the latest update]

For now, The LG battery cells in our factory can make 4300 units of AC200, and 4200+ units are sold for the moment.

To avoid "overbooking", we decided to suspend the sales of AC200.

Orders that have been paid for WILL NOT BE AFFECTED.

This very battery cell from LG Chem is currently facing a global shortage, and we can't switch suppliers temporarily, since that would be a breach of what we've promised.
We are sorry for all the inconvenience caused.

Bluetti closed all AC200 sales yesterday!
They ran out of batteries!
... sorry, I did not check that they only offer the UK-version now! You are right! Anyway shipping costs to Austria were very high and I would have had to add 20% of VAT which alltogether made the offer in the last stage (USD 1599,--) not attractive to me.

Jeez you don't read well.
Go look at the Indiegogo page.
[Explanation for the latest update]

For now, The LG battery cells in our factory can make 4300 units of AC200, and 4200+ units are sold for the moment.

To avoid "overbooking", we decided to suspend the sales of AC200.

Orders that have been paid for WILL NOT BE AFFECTED.

This very battery cell from LG Chem is currently facing a global shortage, and we can't switch suppliers temporarily, since that would be a breach of what we've promised.
We are sorry for all the inconvenience caused.
Thanks for your inside information! Probably will buy when it is available in regular outlets then.

Those numbers look correct. I only have 400 watts in panels for it, but the reason I got it is to run my deep freezer for as long as possible in a power outage. The freezer's energy guide is rated for 250kWH annually, so about 685Wh daily. I ran a simple test at home with the 1500x:

Goal Zero Yeti 1500x:
Ran the freezer for 12 hours.
Total Watt hours used - 322
SoC (at beginning of test) - 100%
SoC (at end of test) - 68%
Freezer Idle watts - <1
Freezer Compressor watts - ≈40

That is almost in line with what the Energy Guide is reporting as the test was only 12 hours, so doubling the total Watt hours used would be 644 which is close to 685. I will say though that the SoC bothered me. After 12 hours, it stated 68% so 32% was used. If that is accurate, then it would only run the freezer for about 1.5 -2 days (if I were to take it close to 0% SoC). The watt hours used seemed fairly accurate however so I'm not too worried. If the power does go out, I would have at least 24 hours to assess and get the panels out if necessary.

At this rate with no solar, I expect to get about 2 days of powering the freezer. With the 400 Watts (350 realistically) of panels I have for this and comparing to my local solar irradiance (using 350W instead of 400W), in January (3.03) I can expect about 1050Wh/day and in July (4.97), I can expect about 1750Wh/day. Even in January, that is more than enough to cover with plenty to spare.

I also have a homelab that I would ideally like to power in a power outage event, but I plan to power that off my Yeti 500x. It uses about 100W, but I can get it down to around 20W for just running the internet and no servers. Other than that, really just plan to be able to charge phones and laptops.
On that 500x in your home lab. I just tested a new 500x today with a single 175 Watt Renogy rigid Mono crystalline panel. It was raining intermittently with only a few periods of partial sun. Power input to the 500x ranged between 5 and 90 Watts. SoC went from 26 to 54 in about 8 hours. The 175 Watt panel exceeds the 500x maximum input (limited internally, safe to 200W), but I did that so I could collect usable energy on a bad day. The specs of the two units are compatible to the best of my specmanship, and the Renogy cost a lot less than the Goal Zero 200W. panels.

I have the 1500x. What questions do you have about it?
I would like to know how long it takes to charge from the sun and how many panels you are using. It comes w two 50 w panels only. People say it has a low input and takes many panels in order to charge. Thanks for your feedback.

I would like to know how long it takes to charge from the sun and how many panels you are using. It comes w two 50 w panels only. People say it has a low input and takes many panels in order to charge. Thanks for your feedback.
Maybe there is a package where it comes with (2) 50W panels, but I just bought it separately and ordered (2) 200W panels with it. As for how long it takes to charge, that's not a simple question. I would need to know the start SoC of the Yeti as well as how high do you want to charge it. What is the solar irradiance of the location? What angle are the panels? Are they static? What is the weather? etc... I did see a single review somewhere that someone stated they had issues getting it to accept over 350 watts input, but they are still working on getting a replacement unit I believe.

I personally quite like GoalZero products in general, I find them very robust and, frankly, bulletproof. But the thing I hate about their Yeti products is the very low PV input voltage (50V versus Bluetti's 150V) meaning if you want a quick PV charge you have to have lots of parallel panels (with huge cables) or buy specific low-voltage panels to connect in series. I do like the stackable nature of the Yeti's for an easy home grid-failure kit. GoalZero products tend to be over-priced, imho.
Turns out the MPPT module can handle up to 48v, even though they don’t advertise that

I have two 12v 200w solar panels. Should I connect them in series or in parallel to plug into the 1500X
Running these in series will be better because the higher voltage (24v) will have lower losses than 12v. If the panels have MC4 connectors, this will be pretty simple. You'd just need a 8mm or Anderson to MC4 cable.

I personally quite like GoalZero products in general, I find them very robust and, frankly, bulletproof. But the thing I hate about their Yeti products is the very low PV input voltage (50V versus Bluetti's 150V) meaning if you want a quick PV charge you have to have lots of parallel panels (with huge cables) or buy specific low-voltage panels to connect in series. I do like the stackable nature of the Yeti's for an easy home grid-failure kit. GoalZero products tend to be over-priced, imho.
Can you look at my panels and hopefully answer my questions?
The 1500x has a max watt rating of 50 volts.
I got two 200w panels which I intended to wire in series which would give 24 volts, well under the 50v limit.

My question is , the Yeti site says max amps on the smaller charging port is 10 and I'm hoping the high power charging port would be the solar (instead of a wall plug) since (looks like) my panel max amps (9.8?) x 2 panels looks like it would exceed the Yeti capability.
Am I reading this right?

here's the panel spec
  • Maximum Power(Pmax): 200W
  • Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 20.4V
  • Maximum Power Current(Imp): 9.80A
  • Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 24.3V
  • Short Circuit Current(Isc): 10.2A
  • Maximum System Voltage(Vmax): 1000VDC
  • Temperature Range: -40°C ~ 90°C
  • Max Series Fuse Rating: 15A
  • Weight: 26.5 lbs
  • Dimensions: 58.7 x 26.8 x 1.4 in
And here's the Yeti charging spec

• Charging port (input, 8mm): 14-50V, up to 10A (150W max) (front face/under lid)
  • High Power charging port (input): 14-50V, up to 50A (600W max)
Thank you in advance.

I got two 200w panels which I intended to wire in series which would give 24 volts, well under the 50v limit.

My question is , the Yeti site says max amps on the smaller charging port is 10 and I'm hoping the high power charging port would be the solar (instead of a wall plug) since (looks like) my panel max amps (9.8?) x 2 panels looks like it would exceed the Yeti capability.
Am I reading this right?

here's the panel spec

• Charging port (input, 8mm): 14-50V, up to 10A (150W max) (front face/under lid)
Thank you in advance.
Your panels are 24.3Voc Not 12V.
2 panels in Series is 48.6V Not 24V.
If you get cold temps your 2 panels on Series will Exceed your 50V input limit.
You actually quote your panel specs so do you see 12V mentioned?

You would only have 9.8A Total with two panels in Series.

Am I reading this right?

here's the panel spec

Thank you in advance.

Your panels are 24.3Voc Not 12V.
2 panels in Series is 48.6V Not 24V.
If you get cold temps your 2 panels on Series will Exceed your 50V input limit.
You actually quote your panel specs so do you see 12V mentioned?

You would only have 9.8A Total with two panels in Series.

Ok, so if I wire them in series, and put a breaker or fuse between the panels and the yeti so it doesn't exceed 10 amps, would that work? And how would cold temps cause the volts to go up?

Last edited:
Ok, so if I wire them in series, and put a breaker or fuse between the panels and the yeti so it doesn't exceed 10 amps, would that work? And how would cold temps cause the volts to go up?
You do not need a fuse.
Exceeding 10A is no problem as any thing over that is clipped.

Exceeding 50V may be a big problem as i dont know if the Yeti will just stop charging with an error code or do damage.
Jackery and Bluetti have high voltage safety cut offs but I know nothing about Yetis.
As a Yeti owner you should know this.

How cold of temps will you be making power in like on a sunny winter morning?
48.6V is very close to your 50V max input.
Solar Panels voltage are rated at 77° F
30° raises the voltage by multiplying x 1.1 which would be 53V

You do not need a fuse.
Exceeding 10A is no problem as any thing over that is clipped.

Exceeding 50V may be a big problem as i dont know if the Yeti will just stop charging with an error code or do damage.
Jackery and Bluetti have high voltage safety cut offs but I know nothing about Yetis.
As a Yeti owner you should know this.

How cold of temps will you be making power in like on a sunny winter morning?
48.6V is very close to your 50V max input.
Solar Panels voltage are rated at 77° F
30° raises the voltage by multiplying x 1.1 which would be 53V
Thank you - so if I wire in parallel to keep the volts at 24v, it sounds like
even if the 9.8 amps double, I won't damage the Yeti? Not sure what Clipped means.

Thank you - so if I wire in parallel to keep the volts at 24v, it sounds like
even if the 9.8 amps double, I won't damage the Yeti? Not sure what Clipped means.
You did not answer about your coldest charging temps.
Does the Yeti have a high voltage safety cut off at 50V?
I would not input 19A in parallel which is double your 10A Yeti.
Newpowa 200 watt panels are only about 20Voc so would have been a better panel choice to wire in Series and stay under 50V even in cold temps.

You did not answer about your coldest charging temps.
Does the Yeti have a high voltage safety cut off at 50V?
I would not input 19A in parallel which is double your 10A Yeti.
Newpowa 200 watt panels are only about 20Voc so would have been a better panel choice to wire in Series and stay under 50V even in cold temps.
Sometimes I'm in the mountains where temps at night might drop below 30 but never in the daytime.
This power supply is for my van. I seriously doubt I'll ever be camping in 30 degree weather day or night, but if I were, could I just disconnect the solar from the unit and reconnect when back in warmer temps?
I already bought these panels thinking I'd buy the Bluetti AC200P but in spite of Will's first report, his subsequent video advises against it due to firmware/software, and warranty replacement issues and there's zero customer service other than a tech support guy who can't answer shipping or tracking questions etc.

And the Newpowa panels show 11.76a which is also more than Yeti's 10a limit no matter how they're wired.

Maximum power (Pmax)200W
Voltage at Pmax (Vmp)17.0V
Current at Pmax (Imp)11.76A
Open-circuit voltage (Voc)20.23V
Short-circuit current (Isc)12.45A

Last edited:
Back