diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamantium

Solar Enthusiast
I was notified yesterday that GSL will be releasing their new 12K hybrid split-phase inverter with 200A AC passthrough for the US market. Production will be limited in September but will ramp up through October and November.

Significant features to note:

12kW EPS output (surge: 14k 10 mins, 16k 5 mins, 20k 500ms, switch time <10ms),
18kW PV input - 3 MPPT controllers 100-600V (230-500V for MPPTs) (4 strings total - 2/1/1, 25A/15A/15A, 12kW/7kW/7kW),
250A charge current,
200A Grid pass-through,
100A Generator pass-through,
AC coupling with export limiting, anti-islanding protection, UL1741, IEEE1547, FCC, SDOC,
Zero-Export and Fast Zero-Export (20ms sampling, dual CT sensors),
EPS Frequency Shifting (output-side grid-tie inverter power reduction when off-grid or grid power outage),
Grid Peak Shaving,
PV module monitoring,
10 unit paralleling,
Color LCD touch screen,
and a 10 year warranty.

Efficiencies: MPPT 99.9%, max 97.5%, charge 95%, invert 94.5%.
Weight 93 pounds.
Priced under $3k.

Sounds like a good inverter on paper, and so much more cost effective than any of the Sol-Arks. Appears to be made by LuxPowerTek.

Here is some information that I have been able to gather including the user manual...
87ca9cc4dea5b7f7c8235c010ef52d96.jpg
5175ed4f6451713ef4d89100b0db581b.jpg

California Energy Commission Link

Attachments

• GSL ENERGY 12KW SPLIT PHASE US HYBRI D ON-OFF GRID INVERTER GSL-12KLV-US.pdf
    758.1 KB · Views: 142
  • GSL-H-12KLV-US user manual (1).pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 184
  • GSL 12KLV UL1741.pdf
    110.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
The manual states:

"For Li-ion battery
1. Please make sure the lithium-ion
battery to be used is compatible with
Luxpower inverters. Please contact
your distributor for updated battery
compatible list."

and

"The inverter can be used with 120/240V split-phase , 120/208V split-phase , and 240V single phase service. You can choose the grid type on LCD. If you are going to use the inverter with 240V single phase supply, please contact Luxpowertek or your supplier for the correct connection diagram."

and

"The Luxpower inverters support two ratios of CT clamp- 1000:1 and 3000:1 . The CT ratio of the CTs in the accessory bag is 3000:1. If you are using a 3rd party CT, please ensure the CT ratio is either 1000:1 or 3000:1, and then select the correct CT ratio setting in the inverter monitor page or on inverter LCD."

and

"Currently only EASTRON SDM630-Modbus meters can be used. If you need to use meter for import/export detection instead of CTs, you need to connect it to the Meter 485A and 485B terminals on the inverter, please contact Luxpowertek for detailed guideline."

and

"When the Luxpower hybrid inverter requires the grid interactive inverter to reduce power, it simply shift the output frequency up a bit, the grid-interactive inverter will limit its output power accordingly after sensing this frequency shift."

and

"To view data on smartphone, please download the LuxPowerView APP from Google Play or Apple APP store, then login with their user account."

and

25 other references to LuxPower...

The graphics on the color LCD display are also identical to the LuxPower web site's monitoring software.

Apparently this GSL inverter is made by LuxPowerTek and they are proud of it.

Any experience with LuxPowerTek?

I suspect that the 20ms switch over time of the SSR is based on 50Hz and that it is really 16.7ms on 60Hz due to the zero cross function of the SSR. I guess that is why no one is moving to faster SSRs than that. Anyone have experience with this?

LuxPowerTek has the same model in their catalog. It is model number LXP-LB-US 12k. Same user manual and spec sheet. Identical to the GSL-H-12KLV-US. Also has the frequency shifting power reduction feature which is very important if you want to use an existing grid-tie PV inverter but don't want grid feedback, or you want the grid-tie to continue running when the grid goes out. Comes with two current transformers. Very nice feature.

Last edited:
That power output at that weight makes me suspect it is HF.

Sounds like it has a lot of features.

That power output at that weight makes me suspect it is HF.

Its definitely high frequency. They are all going high frequency, especially the high power hybrids. They even state that it is high frequency and are proud of it because of its 99.9% (PV), 95%(charge) and 94.5%(inverter) efficiencies. But it still has a high surge capability. 14kW for 10 minutes, 16kW for 5 minutes and 20kW for 500ms. Still weighs over 90 pounds. That's good enough for me as long as it is true and isn't greatly affected by load imbalance. You can always add an isolation transformer to help balance out the loads if that is a concern. That is what I think I will do.

I think it is an option. If you go to the LuxPower downloads menu it will give you access to the catalog with all the specs and options.
I should have looked first. It looks like AFCI is provided since it is in the manual under several places and in the software under statuses.

Yea that is what I thought. It has every feature I am aware of except battery-less operation. I don't know for sure that it isn't supported but It doesn't appear to be. That is outweighed by the frequency shifting and 200A AC pass-through, 100A generator pass-through, existing grid-tie inverter support, PV monitoring, CT based AC monitoring, etc. The software looks good too. Everything. Maybe to good to be true. I think I need one to test out to know for sure.

Yea that is what I thought. It has every feature I am aware of except battery-less operation. I don't know for sure that it isn't supported but It doesn't appear to be. That is outweighed by the frequency shifting and 200A AC pass-through, 100A generator pass-through, existing grid-tie inverter support, PV monitoring, CT based AC monitoring, etc. The software looks good too. Everything. Maybe to good to be true. I think I need one to test out to know for sure.
Do you know if it has a bidirectional AC input from the grid?.. instead of using that port for charging the battery from the grid, will it push power out that AC input and into the grid to act as a grid tie inverter?

Do you know if it has a bidirectional AC input from the grid?.. instead of using that port for charging the battery from the grid, will it push power out that AC input and into the grid to act as a grid tie inverter?
I'm not sure. It is described as having grid tie capabilities and has the CTs to monitor which direction the current is flowing from the AC in (grid) side. It also has the anti-islanding capability required for grid-tied inverters. When the grid is on, I would think that it opens the AC pass-through relay to allow current to flow in or out of the grid. When the grid down, then the anti-islanding would close the AC in relay. The inverter also supports putting the grid tie inverter on the AC out side. This allows it to create its own grid to enable the grid-tie inverter to run when the grid is down. It supports frequency shifting to control the output of power from the grid-tie inverter so that it doesn't over power the AC output side if the load is too low for PV production. This implies that when the grid is up and the AC in relay opens, the power from the grid-tie could move backward through the inverter to the grid and be monitored by the CTs on AC in side. This is half speculation however since I haven't fully read the manual. The link to the manual is posted above.

Short answer:

3.6.4 CT/Meter Connection
To measure the power import from and export to the grid, a pair of CTs or one triphase meter must be installed at the service entry point in or near the main service panel. We standard supply 2 CT for one inverter.

And by the way, it supports 1000:1 and 3000:1 ratio CTs. You get two with the inverter and you can replace them with others if you want to as long as they are either of the two ratios it supports. That is configured at the control panel/software.

Last edited:
Huayu inverter ? HYH-12-NA ?
Here is the link for that one: https://www.huayu-energy.com/cpxq?product_id=514&menu_id=663

I don't see its passthrough rating anywhere. Does it have a passthrough design and does it support frequency shifting on the load side? Does it allow current to feed from the backside to the front side? Do you know those details? Its priced higher as well. What are the advantages of this inverter over the GSL and Lux Power models?

Is it a Lux Power model or is it a Megarevo, Deye, or its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back