diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the manufacturer it is listed under is Shenzhen Lux Power Technology Co., Ltd.
View attachment 118350

I have been wondering where the firmware is being developed too. Maybe GSL is tweaking Lux Power's software, or maybe GSL is writing it for Lux Power, or maybe GSL is delegating all work to a Lux Power team that does all of the software for them. Who knows? I don't. :unsure:
Almost certainly this. Doubt GSL has any engineers at all that can go in to see firmware sourcecode, let alone tweak it.

If GSL has the capacity to anything directly at all, probably limited to parameters and settings…

Note above that California has a definition for grid support inverters and hybrid inverters.
Yeah, would love to understand the details that make the 8kW and 10kW Luxpower inverters ‘Grid Support Utility Interactive’ Inverters while the 12kW model gets to be a ‘Grid Support Utility Interactive Hybrid’ Inverter…

Turns out they were still awake.
Don't know yet what they did, but it suddenly started producing
View attachment 117933
This product certainly isn't without issues yet, but I am really impressed (as stated by other people) about the support.
I've told them to not update my inverter, but instead to tell me what to do, so that I can make notes and learn. So far, my inverter is working flawlessly. With colder weather (down to around 25 every night right now), I'm using space heaters, so I'm draining my 4 10kwh lithiums down to around 60% every night/early morning. My batteries are charged by 11:30 or so. My inverter doesn't shut down now when I try to use the microwave for a minute or two when it already has a full load with the dryer, water heater, fridge and freezer running (thanks to the surge ability). I'm super happy with it at this point.

Yeah, would love to understand the details that make the 8kW and 10kW Luxpower inverters ‘Grid Support Utility Interactive’ Inverters while the 12kW model gets to be a ‘Grid Support Utility Interactive Hybrid’ Inverter…
From what looks like an excerpt of the CEC spreadsheet I found on Solark’s website:

‘Hybrid inverters are capable of taking DC power input from both a solar system and an energy storage system. These models are listed on both the solar and battery inverter lists to reflect the dual functionality. Refer to the manufacturer's documentation for more information on the exact functionality and limitations.’

So it sounds as though only the 12kW model is an ESS that includes battery input…

Last edited:
I will now have a beta version of the new GSL-12K hybrid inverters and a newly release version 2 of EG4-LL batteries. Sounds like a formula for a disaster or at best a nightmare. EG4 will blame all the problems on GSL and vice versus.
GSL will help you figure them out. They are very helpful.

GSL will help you figure them out. They are very helpful.
I received about 3 updates for the last 3 days
But it didn’t work, inverter was making a weird noise, solar production will divided to charge the battery and sell to the grid so i told them to restore my recent calibration. And now my inverter is flawless again…

@Hrschk does your inverter make any noise except the fan during high load?

I received about 3 updates for the last 3 days
But it didn’t work, inverter was making a weird noise, solar production will divided to charge the battery and sell to the grid so i told them to restore my recent calibration. And now my inverter is flawless again…

@Hrschk does your inverter make any noise except the fan during high load?
No, it doesn't make any noise. My megarevo did, though. But, your inverter is a different model number than mine.
and, of course, I'm not selling to the grid. Just using offgrid currently. I do have the grid hooked up, but turned off at the breaker. I only intend to use it when absolutely necessary.

I do have the grid hooked up, but turned off at the breaker. I only intend to use it when absolutely necessary.
where are you located and what's the motivation for minimum grid usage ? just curious - thanks

I'm living on social security and have only a tiny bit of savings. I live in NM where there is huge amount of sunshine.
good on you. With sufficient solar you can zero out almost all on-going utility expenses (heating, cooling, hot-water, cooking, driving, etc...). Drove through NM a few times last and this year, the US has so much untapped resources. Heck, with sufficient solar, you can even make water out of thin air :)

I've told them to not update my inverter, but instead to tell me what to do, so that I can make notes and learn.
may be I'm a bit paranoid, but don't really like having uncontrolled access to my devices, especially from who knows where and by who knows who. Guess it's possible to either have an intranet or remove the system from the net after commissioning.

may be I'm a bit paranoid, but don't really like having uncontrolled access to my devices, especially from who knows where and by who knows who. Guess it's possible to either have an intranet or remove the system from the net after commissioning.
I haven't played around with setting up a local network and disallowing internet access, but I have thought about it. It would be easy to do with my Ubiquiti router, I believe. It would be a pain to have to switch my PC or phone from internet to the local network when I want to monitor the inverter, though. But, I do have an older laptop sitting around not doing anything, so I could use that as my local network interface to the inverter. Could also get Solar Assistant to add this inverter and then purchase one of their Raspberry Pie appliances and network it via wifi.

How would you monitor? unless you hookup canbus/rs485 and use modbus locally on eg HA

On a related note, you could change the password to your inverter. However, I have not found the way to do that yet. Haven't looked terribly hard either.

How would you monitor? unless you hookup canbus/rs485 and use modbus locally on eg HA
That is how you would have to do it. Best way would be Solar Assist or House Assist since you would get more data out of those apps and they are local and don't need the internet. Then, you could put them on a local network so that you could access them remotely.

I'm using space heaters, so I'm draining my 4 10kwh lithiums down to around 60% every night/early morning. My batteries are charged by 11:30 or so.
I am planning on using several small (750-1500 watt)space heaters this winter.
what are you using? and are you using a thermostat or just running them full time?
40% 0f 40 Kwh is 16 kwh, so maybe 10 hrs @ 1500 watts?

I am planning on using several small (750-1500 watt)space heaters this winter.
what are you using? and are you using a thermostat or just running them full time?
40% 0f 40 Kwh is 16 kwh, so maybe 10 hrs @ 1500 watts?
I got two of these off of Amazon and I think I'm going to get some more. Their thermostats are accurate and you can run them on 1500W or 900W. Last night I did not run them. when I went to bed my house was 72 (passive solar) and when I got up it was 61, which is too chilly for me. In 30 minutes of two of them running in my 20'x45' open living/kitchen space it was 65. Usually, I put them on 64 or 65 when I go to bed and they run off and on all night. They don't use anymore juice than the oil filled type, but they heat MUCH quicker and more efficiently because of the fan. I'm happy with them, but I've only had them for a week.

I got two of these off of Amazon and I think I'm going to get some more. Their thermostats are accurate and you can run them on 1500W or 900W. Last night I did not run them. when I went to bed my house was 72 (passive solar) and when I got up it was 61, which is too chilly for me. In 30 minutes of two of them running in my 20'x45' open living/kitchen space it was 65. Usually, I put them on 64 or 65 when I go to bed and they run off and on all night. They don't use anymore juice than the oil filled type, but they heat MUCH quicker and more efficiently because of the fan. I'm happy with them, but I've only had them for a week.

I am currently using a bunch of these

Hooked up to TP-link smart switches so I can remotely control & measure power usage.
I prefer that the temperature difference is not as high and I think there is a lot more radiation of heat from the radiator.

Hooked up to TP-link smart switches so I can remotely control & measure power usage.
I prefer that the temperature difference is not as high and I think there is a lot more radiation of heat from the radiator.
I'm at high elevation and it gets wicked cold here. We're already down to 25 at night. the radiant heaters just don't cut it here. I have 4 of those. I've banned them to the barn, well house and travel trailer to keep things unfrozen out there. But in my house they take hours to heat up my space.

Mini-Split heat pumps and heat pump hot water heaters are very efficient (3-4 times than electric element heating) if a temperature outside is above 35F. I have 1 in each room, and they also work as AC during the summer.
This can greatly reduce the size of solar panels and batteries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back