diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally they charge you outrageous shipping prices for 1 sample, nowhere near normal shipping costs is my experience
Yea I have experienced the same. Sometimes the shipping costs more than the thing you are buying. However other times I get just one unit for normal shipping. It all depends on how much of a wholesaler they are. The more wholesaler, the less successful I have been with a sample. I recently purchased a 15kW voltage converter that weighs about 45 pounds and only paid $105 in shipping DDP (FedEx - 3 weeks).

FWIW, I went with the SA 15k and DIY EVE 15k battery/JK BMS (which is very easy to do). Total cost delivered to my door was just under $10,300. To me the extra money was well worth it for domestic service and support, especially for a more proven product/company. I'd rather pay more for a known high-quality inverter and skimp some on the battery, although I'm not convinced a commercial battery is any better than a good DIY.

I still think this will likely be a good inverter. Just waiting for and watching other new Chinese inverter releases go poorly spooked me, especially thinking about support and service after the purchase. Paying a premium not having to worry about this stuff is worth it to me, but where that "premium" line is drawn is obviously different for each of us.

It's also the fees and shipping that can cloud the water real quick IMO...

Yea I have experienced the same. Sometimes the shipping costs more than the thing you are buying. However other times I get just one unit for normal shipping. It all depends on how much of a wholesaler they are. The more wholesaler, the less successful I have been with a sample. I recently purchased a 15kW voltage converter that weighs about 45 pounds and only paid $105 in shipping DDP (FedEx - 3 weeks).
You are definitely the man ... when it comes to negotiations. Me not so much.

FWIW, I went with the SA 15k and DIY EVE 15k battery/JK BMS (which is very easy to do). Total cost delivered to my door was just under $10,300. To me the extra money was well worth it for domestic service and support, especially for a more proven product/company. I'd rather pay more for a known high-quality inverter and skimp some on the battery, although I'm not convinced a commercial battery is any better than a good DIY.

I still think this will likely be a good inverter. Just waiting for and watching other new Chinese inverter releases go poorly spooked me, especially thinking about support and service after the purchase. Paying a premium not having to worry about this stuff is worth it to me, but where that "premium" line is drawn is obviously different for each of us.

It's also the fees and shipping that can cloud the water real quick IMO...
WOW, I'm impressed. I would had estimated around $15K for the Sol-Ark 15K and a 15KWH battery/JK BMS when you include DDP. I had some conversations and emails with Sol-Ark, so I have been impressed with their responsiveness. I agree 100% with what you are saying and prefer to do the same, but not when the cost is almost double by my previous estimates.

I'm planning on spending $10K to buy GSL inverter and GSL battery, because I had no idea that it was possible to buy what you bought for $10.3K. However, if you need to build the battery yourself, that is not something that I feel comfortable doing.

the GSL-H-12KLV-US spec lists Battery Input 80-400vdc, so can I use my EV's pack for V2House ?

I will let someone else more acknowledgeable to answer your actual question.

I can add that you need to make sure that the EV is bidirectional. I understand that some EVs are not. There is a DIY member online that told me that he has gone to a charging station and then used his EV to power his house for 2 days.

I also noticed that the terms is T/T for payment. Adamantium has already warned us about this payment method, as requiring complete trust in the vendor. He stated to only do it at your own risk.

Alibaba has posted a warning to consumers in order to insure delivery that all emails and payments should be made through them.

I contacted GSL through Alibaba. GSL has already asked me for an exact email address, so they can send me specifications and prices. This concerns me, especially now after seeing your GSL description showing payment only by T/T with shipment 15 days after deposit.

I know that at least one DIY member made payment via Paypal. He even said in his post that if it doesn't come that he will file for a refund from Paypal. I don't think this is an option with T/T, but I don't know.

I'm not advising you on anything other than to be careful. I haven't bought directly from overseas, so I admit that I don't know.

Last edited:
I just noticed something about GSL inverter vs. Sol-Ark inverter that hasn't been discussed.

GSL inverter only weighs 92 lbs vs. Sol-Ark inverter that weighs 135 lbs.

Both inverters are made in China, so it seems based on weight alone that the Sol-Ark is probably made with more durable and more reliable parts than the GSL.

Originally based on another post for HV model, I thought the weight was only 66 lbs.

Last edited:
the GSL-H-12KLV-US spec lists Battery Input 80-400vdc, so can I use my EV's pack for V2House ?

Apart from compatible voltage, the BMS & the EV need to speak a common protocol.
Afaik there isn't a universal standard yet that everyone agreed upon "the nice things about standards is there are so many of them" ;-)
Not something that could be solved by a firmware upgrade but I would assume you would need additional hardware to opto isolate/separate the data signals from anything that has the opportunity to ruin electronics.
So I would assume some kind of external signal converter box would be needed to make that possible in the future.

I also noticed that the terms is T/T for payment. Adamantium has already warned us about this payment method, as requiring complete trust in the vendor. He stated to only do it at your own risk.

Alibaba has posted a warning to consumers in order to insure delivery that all emails and payments should be made through them.

I contacted GSL through Alibaba. GSL has already asked me for an exact email address, so they can send me specifications and prices. This concerns me...
Let me clarify a little about TT payments. TT payments are wire transfers from the buyer's bank to the seller's bank. The TT stands for Telegraphic Transfer or Telex Transfer which goes back to the days of the telegraph. We don't use telegraphs anymore, we use computers and the Internet, but the name is still used. The concept is just an electronic transfer from one bank to another. When you do a transfer like this, there is no insurance or purchase protection of any kind. If you make the decision to transfer the money to someone then its done. No disputing charges and no refunds. Its no different for international transfers than it is for transfers between banks in the United States. This doesn't mean that the person won't refund your money if there is a problem, but you have no way to guarantee that they will. Like everything else in the world, there are charges associated with electronic transfers, especially internationally, since there are exchanges between currencies.

When buying from China on Alibaba you have to understand that the Alibaba website is for wholesalers. Its not Amazon or your local grocery store. When you purchase product on Alibaba you are establishing a relationship with an international supplier. They want to sell large quantities of product to resellers. That is why they have better prices and a different kind of support system. Most of the time you are interacting with the actual manufacturer of the product. They aren't interested in selling candy over the counter, they are interested in selling truckloads of sugar and barrels of candy flavoring. So you have to understand this if you are going to buy from them. You aren't going to be able to open the box, use the product, decide you don't like it, and then return it. You buy it, you own it. You only get to complain if they didn't hold up there end of the agreement.

TT payments are one of the most popular forms of payment around the world, especially with Asia. This is because resellers develop a working relationship with their wholesalers. They may visit the manufacturing plant, evaluate samples, etc., before ordering a large quantity of something. So if you are buying in bulk you will probably be required to pay via TT. You might put down a portion of the payment to get the order started and then pay the rest when the order ships. You will probably be expected to pay all of the export/import fees, taxes, tariffs, etc., and organize the pickup and delivery. You may do this yourself or may hire a company that does this kind of stuff for you.

So what does this have to do with us? It means that you need to understand what perspective GSL has when you talk with them. They aren't BestBuy. They think of you as a reseller and assume you are planning to buy from them repeatedly. So you need to let them know what you really want and hope they are willing to cooperate. I have noticed more recently that some of the vendors on Alibaba are becoming more accommodating of end-user sales. But they are not required to be. If you want to buy one or two of something from China then that is what AliExpress, eBay, Amazon, and other retail sites are for. However GSL seems to be willing to sell to end-users. They seem to have set up their organization to accommodate this to some extent. They have told me that they are willing to sell via TT or via an Alibaba account. If you aren't a reseller, or you are worried they are going to cheat you, then you probably want to buy through your Alibaba account so that you can pay via a process that provides buyer protection. You must work those details out with them. You will also must work out what type of shipping method they are providing, or you may find out that you bought it but have to go to their factory in China to pick it up. There are many shipping methods available. If you don't know what you are doing, then you want DDP.

However GSL seems to be willing to sell to end-users. They seem to have set up their organization to accommodate this to some extent. They have told me that they are willing to sell via TT or via an Alibaba account.
I suspect this is so that they can find resellers around the world to establish a sales channel, once done they will shut this avenue down.
As a reseller it will be YOU doing the customer support and sorting out all the shipping issues and broken bits. You will need a box of spare parts or a couple extra units to rob spares from.
So yeah you can front $35k to get 10 units shipped, branded and maybe a few spare parts or $300,000 to get 100 of them and become SS mk2 !!!
Good luck.

Actually it would be wicked cool if Will resold these branded as "DIY solar forum" units lol

Last edited:
I just noticed something about GSL inverter vs. Sol-Ark inverter that hasn't been discussed.

Both inverters are made in China, so it seems based on weight alone that the Sol-Ark is probably made with more durable and more reliable parts than the GSL.

Originally based on another post for HV model, I thought the weight was only 66 lbs.

"so it seems based on weight alone" -- what? :)

You can't do that, but what if we did? Since the GSL model and all of the Sol-Ark models are described as being transformer-less, must we conclude that Sol-Ark's 5K-2P model is inferior to the GSL because it only weighs 78 pounds? Must we conclude that their 8K-2P and 12K-2P models are even less durable or less reliable because they output even more power but weigh exactly the same as their 5K-2P? Don't we have to conclude that all three Sol-Ark models are less durable and less reliable than the GSL? Shouldn't we also conclude that if the Sol-Ark 15K-2P model has three times output power of their 5K-2P model, that it must weigh 234 pounds to have the same durability and reliability? Shouldn't their 8K and 12K models weigh 125 and 140 pounds respectively as well?

Obviously basing the quality of inverters on weight alone is problematic. In this case you are comparing two different inverter sizes made from different manufacturers. A 15kW inverter better weigh more than a 12kW inverter if they use the same design and technology. Take a look at the Sol-Ark chassis. It is over 1000 cubic inches or 20% larger than the GSL. Why? What is inside? It isn't bigger for the software. It isn't bigger because it has bigger computer chips is it? Maybe its bigger and heavier partly because it isn't as refined and efficient. Maybe it is bigger because it gets hotter and needs a better cooling system to keep it from overheating. Maybe they had to add an auto transformer to solve the imbalance problems they have had in past models. Maybe its bigger and heavier because it has a larger distribution panel or maybe they just added an ingot of lead somewhere inside. Who knows?

To determine if an inverter is really reliable you have to prove it. That happens by testing the entire population. Even then, if a single change is made to the design or manufacturing process, such as a board revision, a parts supplier, a different manufacturing plant, or a new software revision, it can change the result. Manufacturers change components and parts suppliers all the time. Until we get a large enough sample of these inverters, and run them through a variety of installations and use cases, we can't legitimately compare it to anything. Until they have run 24/7 for several months, we won't be able to accurately predict its durability or reliability.

And don't forget for less than the price of one 15K-2P + tax and shipping, you can buy two GSL 12Ks (24K and 186 pounds), a 255 pound 37.5kVA isolation transformer, and a lead ingot.

Last edited:

Sol-Ark is heavier because the body is bigger so they can make space for all the breakers…

Can I connect my existing (3) 5KW GT inverters with 18KW solar panels to one new GSL 12KW inverter?

My intention is to move 4 existing strings from (2) existing 5KW GT inverters to the new GSL inverter MPTT1 (2 strings), MPPT2 (1 string) and MPPT3 (1 string), which is 12KW solar panels. The remaining 5KW GT inverter with 6KW solar panels will be AC couple to the generator connection. The MPPTs operating voltages will not be exceeded in this setup and the existing solar panels string wiring only need to be move from two GT inverters to the new GSL inverter.

If so, I can convert 18 KW solar panels with 15 KW inverters from a GT system to hybrid system using only one 12 KW inverter for about $4K. It should work fine as a hybrid system during sunshine. To work at night, I will need to add batteries ASAP. As a bonus, I also have (2) spare inverters, if anything happens to the one existing inverter that is AC couple or if I want to add more solar panels in the future.

I would think that the 200A bypass should keep the hybrid system operating without tripping when there is no power outage. If not, another GSL inverter could be added without breaking the bank and increasing bypass from 200A to 400A.

It seems almost too simple, so there are probably reasons why this won't work.

Sol-Ark is heavier because the body is bigger so they can make space for all the breakers…
Good answer!!!

I had actually forgotten that SA and GSL were not actually the same size, until Adamantium mentioned it in his post. SA have a history of their inverters' names being misleading that I simply think of Sol-Ark 15K-2P as a model number not an actual rating. After reading Adamantium post I had to take another hard look at the GSL-H-12KLV-US and make sure that it would work for me. I think it will, but I could be wrong .... again.

My intention is to move 4 existing strings from (2) existing 5KW GT inverters to the new GSL inverter MPTT1 (2 strings), MPPT2 (1 string) and MPPT3 (1 string), which is 12KW solar panels. The remaining 5KW GT inverter with 6KW solar panels will be AC couple to the generator connection. The MPPTs operating voltages will not be exceeded in this setup and the existing solar panels string wiring only need to be move from two GT inverters to the new GSL inverter.
Did you do the VoC calculations with the record minimum temperature in your area?
It is not the MPPT voltage that matters but the VoC of the strings.
What model panels do you have, how many in series and what is the lowest temp your area encountered?
If so, I can convert 18 KW solar panels with 15 KW inverters from a GT system to hybrid system using only one 12 KW inverter for about $4K.
I think that is good option.
It should work fine as a hybrid system during sunshine. To work at night, I will need to add batteries ASAP. As a bonus, I also have (2) spare inverters, if anything happens to the one existing inverter that is AC couple or if I want to add more solar panels in the future.
Yep, more panels to one of the decommissioned inverters, AC coupled to the GSL (100 amp bypass for the generator input if I remember correctly)

I would think that the 200A bypass should keep the hybrid system operating without tripping when there is no power outage. If not, another GSL inverter could be added without breaking the bank and increasing bypass from 200A to 400A.
I am not 100% sure about that.
paralleling 2 x 200 amp relays does not make it a 400 capable relay.
Most of the time a 400 amp hookup has 2 x 200 amp main breakers so that would work: each GSL would get their own 200 amp panel connected.
It seems almost too simple, so there are probably reasons why this won't work.

Last edited:
Did you do the VoC calculations with the record minimum temperature in your area?
It is not the MPPT voltage that matters but the VoC of the strings.
What model panels do you have, how many in series and what is the lowest temp your area encountered?

I think that is good option.

Yep, more panels to one of the decommissioned inverters, AC coupled to the GSL (100 amp bypass for the generator input if I remember correctly)

I am not 100% sure about that.
paralleling 2 x 200 amp relays does not make it a 400 capable relays.
Most of the time a 400 amp hookup has 2 x 200 amp main breakers so that would work: each GSL would get their own 200 amp panel connected.
Thank you, I appreciate your insight and help.

I live in Panama with the Pacific Ocean on one side and the Caribbean Sea on the other side. According to Google: "The lowest recorded temperature in Panama City is 68.0°F (20°C), which was recorded in January. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 75°F to 90°F and is rarely below 74°F or above 93°F."

Jinko solar panels, 330 watts, 57 solar panels, max 10 in a string.

I agree that the relays are each 200 amps and their individual ratings will not change. Two inverters would be wired in parallel, so the voltage is the same, but two inverters in parallel can handle more current when the total load is divided between the 2 relays.

If I'm wrong, no worries, I'm starting to get use to being wrong.

The specs say the inverter supports up to 18kW of PV input maximum. Assuming from what you said, all strings are equal. Therefore you can put 4500W per string into the inverter, as long as the voltage and current don't exceed 4500W and are within the limits of each MPPT controller, that is 600V and 25A,15A,15A. Since the strings are assumed equal, the 25A MPPT controller can only accept 2 x 12.5A strings, and the other two must be the same. So for example, if your panels Voc is less than 600V and their Isc is less than 7.5A that is less than 4500W. If your panels Isc is less than 12.5A and their Voc is less than 360V then that produces 4500W. I suspect that since your strings are only producing 3kW each and you don't have panels with an Isc over 12.5A and Voc over 600V, you are safe putting four strings into the inverter.

Jinko 330W panels have Voc of 46.9V and Isc of 9.14A = 428.6 x 10 panels = 4286W per string @ 469VDC maximum and 9.14A maximum. In reality they will never exceed 3300W per string and 8.74A and 378VDC. You need to calculate with your real panel specs.

Your remaining two strings 10 and 7 panels can go on an grid tied inverter on the AC input side of the inverter if you have a feedback agreement, or on the AC output side of the inverter if they support the throttling specification (frequency shifting). If they support throttling, then all of them should be able to connect to the AC output side of the inverter and your inverter MPPT controllers could remain free for other strings. You could also put all of the strings on grid tied inverters and connect them to the AC output side if you added a dump load controller.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back