diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! Solar Assistant works with GSL/LuxPower.. i have mine running about 3 months now..
To make it work you have to email them to set it up for you…
Good to know that Solar Assistant works with GSL/LuxPower. According to Solar Assistant home page on inverters supported, GSL/LuxPower inverters are not listed. None of their battery cables or inverter cables are listed to work with GSL/LuxPower on their website.

Previously, I had assumed that Solar Assistance system was basically for DIY users familiar with Raspberry Pi devices. Now Solar Assistant offers a black box with the Raspberry Pi device and their software Orange version preloaded. I like the idea of having access to my inverters and batteries status without being dependent on either the Internet or China.

Good to know that Solar Assistant works with GSL/LuxPower. According to Solar Assistant home page on inverters supported, GSL/LuxPower inverters are not listed. None of their battery cables or inverter cables are listed to work with GSL/LuxPower on their website.

Previously, I had assumed that Solar Assistance system was basically for DIY users familiar with Raspberry Pi devices. Now Solar Assistant offers a black box with the Raspberry Pi device and their software Orange version preloaded. I like the idea of having access to my inverters and batteries status without being dependent on either the Internet or China.
Solar Assistant New update:

Solar Assistant New update:
I looked at the Solar Assistance New update and saw that SA is now supporting LuxPower plus other brands. Thanks for sharing.

Since your GSL system is working with Solar Assistant, do you intend to stop future GSL updates unless there is a real need? You never know when the next GSL firmware update will cause GSL to stop working with Solar Assistant or turn the GSL equipment into a virtual BRICK or change your settings or cause other issues. My only experience is Fronius Smart Meter and Fronius inverters with no firmware updates and no issues in almost 4 years.

Can Solar Assistance notify me with an alarm or message that the grid is down, so I know to do some load shedding?

afaik SA will connect to the connector that normally is occupied with the WIFI dongle.
So as long as SA is connected, no updates are possible.
Are you sure? The reason that I ask is that the new black box with the integrated Raspberry Pi and preloaded SA software is more developed than the previous Raspberry Pi circuit boards:
1677736708366.png
I am hoping that once all the equipment is installed and operating properly that I can disconnect from GSL cloud and use Solar Assistant to monitor the system performance.

I looked at the Solar Assistance New update and saw that SA is now supporting LuxPower plus other brands. Thanks for sharing.

Since your GSL system is working with Solar Assistant, do you intend to stop future GSL updates unless there is a real need? You never know when the next GSL firmware update will cause GSL to stop working with Solar Assistant or turn the GSL equipment into a virtual BRICK or change your settings or cause other issues. My only experience is Fronius Smart Meter and Fronius inverters with no firmware updates and no issues in almost 4 years.

Can Solar Assistance notify me with an alarm or message that the grid is down, so I know to do some load shedding?
My solar assistant is collecting data thru wifi local network. So it doesn’t affect the wifi dongle.

solar assistant doesn’t give any alarm or message.

at the moment changing setting of the inverter thru solar assist is minimal at moment it still in beta version.

My solar assistant is collecting data thru wifi local network. So it doesn’t affect the wifi dongle.

solar assistant doesn’t give any alarm or message.

at the moment changing setting of the inverter thru solar assist is minimal at moment it still in beta version.
I appreciate your answers.

I had hoped that once the GSL inverters and batteries were properly installed and operating that it would not be necessary to change any settings or to receive any new GSL updates. I have a tablet on my desk now that only monitors the GT inverters using a Fronius Smart meter, but needs the Internet to connect with the Fronius cloud to work. I had hoped with SA software install that I would not need either a GSL cloud or a SA cloud to monitor the system and only need LAN not the Internet.

I have easy access to grid power and eps power, so I can energize a coil with grid power to activate a green light. Upon grid failure the relay would default to normally close position and only activate a red light. If there is no grid and no backup power available, then both lights would be off as well as everything else not connected to an UPS. It would be nice, if SA could do it. If not, it is a simple project. The only reason that I needed it was to load shed to conserve my 30KWh 560Ah battery backup power.

Are you sure? The reason that I ask is that the new black box with the integrated Raspberry Pi and preloaded SA software is more developed than the previous Raspberry Pi circuit boards:

I am hoping that once all the equipment is installed and operating properly that I can disconnect from GSL cloud and use Solar Assistant to monitor the system performance.

I remembered how to hook up the MegaRevo to solar assistant:
From https://solar-assistant.io/help/megarevo/configuration
A custom cable needs to be created for the COM port of this inverter. It's the same port that the WiFi dongle/logger reads the inverter data from. SolarAssistant and the WiFi dongle/logger can not be used at the same time.

That doesn't seem to be the case with the LuxPower setup.
see https://solar-assistant.io/help/luxpower/configuration which goes by reading modbus through the WIFI dongle so external access (updates/monitoring) is still active

Sorry about mixing those 2 up (I have both inverters ;-) )

I bought (2) 14.33KWh 280Ah batteries, which means that I put all my eggs in 2 baskets. Probably (6) 5 KWh 100Ah would had been a smarter decision?
1678080100966.png
The cells are probably all laser welded. If so, replacing a bad cell becomes extremely hazard and should not be a DIY project??? The whole 14.33KWh battery is probably useless with a dead cell?

I bought (2) 14.33KWh 280Ah batteries, which means that I put all my eggs in 2 baskets. Probably (6) 5 KWh 100Ah would had been a smarter decision?
View attachment 138253
The cells are probably all laser welded. If so, replacing a bad cell becomes extremely hazard and should not be a DIY project??? The whole 14.33KWh battery is probably useless with a dead cell?
Those must be weighing a ton each. My 10kWh are 250 lbs each.
These must weight 40% more!!! o_O
You should have warrantly for the bad cell scenario, don't you ?

Each battery size is 900x675x200 mm with weight at 128.5 kg or 283 lbs. Total cost with shipping $8140.
The battery is listed at 8500 cycles with 15 year warranty. 8500 cycle @ 1 cycle/day / 365 = 23 years. The warranty itself reads that the warranty life cycle power during warranty period is 64.80MWh@80%, which equals 14.34 KWh x 80% = 11.5 KWh/day x 365 = 4.1 MWh@80% / 365 = 15 years (assuming 1 cycle / day).

2021 production = 25.17 MWh and consumption = 42.02 MWh.
2022 production = 25.51 MWh and consumption = 33.33 MWh.
Average day production = 25.51 MWh / 365 = 70 KWh/day
Average day consumption = 33.33 MWh / 365 = 91 KWh/day
91 KWh/day / 24 = 3.8 KWh Reading consumption from grid 3.46 KW/h at midnight.

My intention is to only use the batteries and hybrid inverters as an UPS when we lose power. Panama don't have the peak hour rates, if we did I would use the batteries during peak hours. I was paying Panama highest residential consumer rate per KWh because of high consumption, With my inverters, I am now paying the lowest consumer rate per KWh. I have 19 KW solar panels and need to add at least another 6 KW Solar Power.

This 57 seconds video gives you an idea about the battery:

Battery is GSL GSL051280A-B-GBP2. The GSL hybrid inverter and this battery are all listed with the California Solar Commission.

Why would a battery have 4 pole MCB? There are 4 modules with 4 batteries each. Is there 1 breaker for each module, so if one module trips the breaker that it disconnects all 4 modules? This photo is from a 14.33KWh 280Ah battery.
1678434131762.png

Last edited:
Why would a battery have 4 pole MCB? There are 4 modules with 4 batteries each. Is there 1 breaker for each module, so if one module trips the breaker that it disconnects all 4 modules? This photo is from a 14.33KWh 280Ah battery.
View attachment 138985
I believe they are just using 4 smaller breaks to make one large one.

The 4 modules or probably only 4s 12v each.

probably 4x breakers are in parallel as 4P to increase amp:
mnpv6fuse_web.jpg

I believe they are just using 4 smaller breaks to make one large one.
probably 4x breakers are in parallel as 4P to increase amp:

Thanks guys, you were right and I was totally wrong. 2 parallel breakers are for positive and 2 parallel breakers are for negative. The positive breaker connects to the battery positive post. The negative breaker connects to the BMS and the BMS connects to the battery negative post. The other side of these breakers connects to the battery modules.

Attachments

• Breaker.jpg
    Breaker.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Breaker internal wiring.jpg
    Breaker internal wiring.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 32
  • BMS.jpg
    BMS.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Battery internal wiring.jpg
    Battery internal wiring.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Battery posts.jpg
    Battery posts.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 32
So with all being said.....those in operation; any issues? Anything i need to know about this inverter
Where can these be purchased?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back