diy solar

diy solar

New member. Hello

Mercracing

Greetings from rural Kansas. My wife and I are getting our first solar system installed next month. We are getting a grid tied 8.2 KW system comprised of 20 420 watt Sunpower panels and a Sol-ark 15K inverter. I am hoping to gain an education on a DIY (with a certified electricians assistance) battery setup and the addition of a generator to the system. I have a background in auto body, drag racing, a little farming, and I enjoy shooting as well as smoking and grilling.

Welcome to the forum. You did not mention batteries, but I assume those are in the future and when that time comes let us know. There are a lot of good sources and different approaches..

I am hoping to learn more about some of the battery brands that are options and adding a generator to the Sol-ark. Those questions will be coming soon to the appropriate sub forum.

Cool. I have a stock suspension 28x10.5 tire or 275 drag radial car.
Oh, mine is far from stock suspension...
68 camaro SS, with a spool dana60, on stock leafs, and a fabricated 4link, with zero front springs... front drag slims bolted to the tires, and 33x12" micky slicks...

I might one day break her out of mothballs and reassemble the engine and put it on the track... there is a huge zmax dragway here in town now...

I've also got a partially disassembled 76 280Z and a sad condition 67 rs and a slew of old Mercedes, and a pair of dodge D100s and... oh, I don't even know everything I've got stashed away...

My list of sold cars is much longer...
Very cool. My car is stock suspension only in so far as the style and rough mounting points. The car is a 25.2 cage/chassis certification and has been 7.30's @ 195-196 mph in the 1/4 (4.70's @ 155-156 mph in the 1/8th). The car is a 1986 Mercury Capri (like a foxbody Mustang). What did your car run?. It sounds like you have a bunch of cool cars. I've had a bunch of cars as well. Most of mine have been Fords with the exception of a 1987 928 S4 Porsche (which I really wish I had held onto).

Truthfully, it never survived long enough to post a sustained run...
Best time was 10.09 in the 1/4 but it was at 75mph, with a flaming transmission path like the back to the future launching... coasting over the line...
My guess from all runs was it could be a mid 9second car...
But for all the mechanical failures...
It was a totally homemade mouse motor no boost, high rpm launch and shift car...
Iirc, the shift point was 10K ... that destroked 400 small block just PULLED...
And broke things.

Truthfully, it never survived long enough to post a sustained run...
Best time was 10.09 in the 1/4 but it was at 75mph, with a flaming transmission path like the back to the future launching... coasting over the line...
My guess from all runs was it could be a mid 9second car...
But for all the mechanical failures...
It was a totally homemade mouse motor no boost, high rpm launch and shift car...
Iirc, the shift point was 10K ... that destroked 400 small block just PULLED...
And broke things.
Mine is 360" SBF with twin 76mm turbos. Prior to that it was the same motor (different cam) with a reverse rotation Procharger F2R.

Back