diy solar

diy solar

New Solar Install Plan

DIYsolarKY

New to this forum. Been watching and trying to learn from Will for the last several weeks.

Got interested in home solar when I setup a solar powered 3 - 100 watt panel array to power a 24V grundfos pump for a solar fountain in our backyard pond. It was a fun, simple project and I feel certain I read some posts on this forum and got help from a friend designing and making that a reality. Would love to give credit to whoever recommended it. Works great. See photo attached of it operating late in the day when it is cloudy

Everyday and all day that fountain has been reminding me of the potential for solar energy.

My home has a standing seam metal roof. Looking for recs on the best system for solar panel install. I have contacted signature solar for a quote and next on the list is current connected.

Planning still in infancy. Trying to not make any mistakes. Considering DIY install of solar panels, inverter, and then the possibility of very pricey batteries.

I have received a few quotes from local/regional companies for panels and inverter install and Powerwalls from one company. Quotes are anywhere from 60 to 100K.

We have an awesome deal with one to one contract with our local energy utility (Kenergy) on net metering. So whatever I make, the grid is the battery and we get back if we only did panels and grid tied inverter.

We average 80 to 100 kWh of electric usage a day in summer. Winter has been a little worse for Dec and January. Not sure why other than the whole family is home running everything they can 24/7 around holidays. We have 5 Kids. All girls. Lots of electric use. House is too big, kids leave doors open trying to air condition the neighborhood. You get the picture. See attached grafts for energy usage. We moved in Oct 2022 so everything before was all just construction energy use.

I have tried my best to absorb Will's genius and well taught lessons. I found some resources that based on my geographic location in northwest KY, I should consider average 4 hrs a day of great sunlight.

In my brain that means I need 80-100kWh divide by 4 hrs = size of PV array (20-25 kW). And I know most people upsize their array beyond that to get enough actual power from their panels. Big size array for me. 25 to 30 kW with standard 400W panels is 60 panels or more.

Does that sound correct to any readers.

60 panels or more and two inverters puts me into looking at a big system and big expense.

Tell me if I am wrong but if I have 60 panels or more, I am going to need two hybrid inverters or more for a grid tied system.

Inverters
I have followed posts on the SolArk 15Kw and EG4 18Kpv. New products and I value what Will and others have said about both inverters. Lots of biases online but seems like mostly positive reviews on both products, when they work.

Batteries
Seems pricey and unrealistic for me to have a system with 3 days of backup with batteries. Maybe start with 6 batteries from EG4? Even if I could come close to buying raw LiFePO4 cells on aliexpress and making my own, I'm sure we are talking about a massive amount of work and money. I have a science background but I feel like maybe I need more experience learning how to test and wire cells and I may not be electric savvy enough or confident that I can test them all, wire BMS and not blow myself up.

My house has LP furnaces for heat, LP on demand water heaters. Forced air with two big ac compressors and two small minisplits (kicking myself for not putting a bunch of these in and running the house on multiple smaller zones).

Our LP tank is nowhere near where we need it to be for a LP back up powered generator, would have to trench a new line and get a generator, transfer switch. Backup generator may be best way to go. However, I despise the idea spending money on a backup generator instead of spending it on a battery bank.

We have two 200 amp panels inside from my meter with interlocking kit installed in the panels.

We lose power regularly with storms. We live rurally, so sometimes we seem to lose it for no reason.

Just getting started here so any input is appreciated.

I own a lift and am thinking of DIY installing panels and inverters and paying one of several close friends who are electricians to help me with a grid tied system with hybrid inverters.

Please help me with any of these idiot calculations I've done to make sure I am sizing or planning a system adequately.

Getting up on the roof this pm to measure my only southeast facing part of the roof for panels.

Attachments

• 20230807_164638.jpg
    20230807_164638.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230807_124501.jpg
    20230807_124501.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230807_124409.jpg
    20230807_124409.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Planning still in infancy. Trying to not make any mistakes. Considering DIY install of solar panels, inverter, and then the possibility of very pricey batteries.
Consider ground mounted?
Quotes are anywhere from 60 to 100K.
mind boggling!
should consider average 4 hrs a day of great sunlight
if I do math I get 500% of an hour’s average kWh in normal sunny weather days. You should be as good as that at your latitude.
60 panels
That should have plenty of headroom
awesome deal with one to one contract with our local energy utility (Kenergy) on net metering. So whatever I make, the grid is the battery and we get back if we only did panels and grid tied inverter.
but no backup power…
Seems pricey and unrealistic for me to have a system with 3 days of backup with batteries. Maybe start with 6 batteries from EG4
the absolute floor minimum for small to mid systems imho is 75% of one day of battery storage. That should take you overnight.
In your consumption range, however, that is expensive! But DIY is gonna be way less than your $60k profit center price.
Maybe start with 6 batteries from EG4
About 30kWh? Sure- do it.

I’d also buy an inexpensive champion generator that would / could be used for a critical loads panel if the power is out for days or something unexpected. They have dual fuel models (LP) with 240V 2ph output for less or about the same $$$ as 45-60 minutes of batteries.
despise the idea spending money on a backup generator instead of spending it on a battery bank.
The generator is so low cost and costs next to nothing to keep maintained on standby. Saves a ton o’ greenbacks on batteries and is a huge improvement in autonomy.
We lose power regularly with storms. We live rurally, so sometimes we seem to lose it for no reason
Welcome to Vermont…
two inverters
you want at least two, anyways. I’d almost always want to plan on two or four AIO units for a situation like yours to give yourself backups should something fail.
But you may have more faith or tolerance than I do; I’m essentially off grid now, but in a week I’ll be at my new property and truly be off grid (on purpose- there’s actually an existing powerco pole on my back corner and one 4’ from my roadside property line). So I don’t want anything bad to not be < 30-minute recoverable.

Consider ground mounted?

mind boggling!

if I do math I get 500% of an hour’s average kWh in normal sunny weather days. You should be as good as that at your latitude.

That should have plenty of headroom

but no backup power…

the absolute floor minimum for small to mid systems imho is 75% of one day of battery storage. That should take you overnight.
In your consumption range, however, that is expensive! But DIY is gonna be way less than your $60k profit center price.

About 30kWh? Sure- do it.

I’d also buy an inexpensive champion generator that would / could be used for a critical loads panel if the power is out for days or something unexpected. They have dual fuel models (LP) with 240V 2ph output for less or about the same $$$ as 45-60 minutes of batteries.

The generator is so low cost and costs next to nothing to keep maintained on standby. Saves a ton o’ greenbacks on batteries and is a huge improvement in autonomy.

Welcome to Vermont…

you want at least two, anyways. I’d almost always want to plan on two or four AIO units for a situation like yours to give yourself backups should something fail.
But you may have more faith or tolerance than I do; I’m essentially off grid now, but in a week I’ll be at my new property and truly be off grid (on purpose- there’s actually an existing powerco pole on my back corner and one 4’ from my roadside property line). So I don’t want anything bad to not be < 30-minute recoverable.
thank you very much for the replies to the many concerns/comments/questions and information that I put in that long thread. Just trying my best to plan the best scalable system from the beginning and not find myself on the end of multiple mistakes.

Back