diy solar

diy solar

New Member - I was the Will Prowse of HHO years ago

Central Coast Solar

Hi Everyone:

I'm new to the forum, located on the Central Coast of California. I've been selling solar for over 10 years. I've been following Will for a couple of years now.

I used to make DIY videos for HHO (Hydrogen) enthusiasts for a few years, quit about 11 years ago. Looking back at them now it's amazing how similar they were to what Will is doing now. Here is one of the last ones I did:

Anyone on the Central Coast want to talk solar, contact me.

Thanks!
Mike

I wasn't using the Hydrogen for anything other than experimenting. I was fascinated with HHO and honestly thought it might have been a solution for getting better fuel mileage . It turned out to be way too complicated though. I was more into testing and experimenting with the electrolysers and building HHO torches. I stopped because it was just taking up too much of my time. I was bombarded with emails and Skype calls. I eventually came to the conclusion that HHO was just not practical.

Nice. It's amazing how many of us (likeminded people in general I guess) are still concentrated in this one large (bay area +) region. It's too bad housing policy is probably going to cut off the new supply of young people a bit that are growing into it here.

In hydrogen exploration did pool saltwater chlorinators ever cross over into consideration? I just wonder if that market would've offered a commodity source of the same kind of materials.

I always thought of HHO as some gimmick that never panned out.

otoh solar and lithium really works.

Nice. It's amazing how many of us (likeminded people in general I guess) are still concentrated in this one large (bay area +) region. It's too bad housing policy is probably going to cut off the new supply of young people a bit that are growing into it here.

In hydrogen exploration did pool saltwater chlorinators ever cross over into consideration? I just wonder if that market would've offered a commodity source of the same kind of materials.
I did actually consider the chlorinator market. I took apart a unit and looked at it. Basically just a wet cell. I didn't really think that upgrading to a dry cell design would be worth pursuing. It seemed like efficiency of the cell wasn't that big of an issue for a chlorinator. It just needed to produce a bit of chlorine to be effective, not the high volumes of gas that we were producing as an engine supplement or a torch.

I made a few HHO generators for the gas vehicle. I think they are better suited for large engines as opposed to my 3.0, but what I found was unplanned.
I would lean out the fuel mixture to allow the HHO to supplement the gasoline not just add to it. I found that leaning out the fuel to air mixture was what was really giving me better mpg's not so much the HHO. The HHO needed a lot of amps from the battery/alternator so that drew horse power off the engine, so the net effect was a small gain,
but leaning out the 14.7 to 1 air fuel ratio had a big effect all by itself. I ditched the HHO and just ran a lean mixture and had improved mpg by several numbers.
I could actually feel the horse power increase on a steady grade as I went from stock to lean. There was a point where hp maxed out and then deopped off as I continued to go lean. I erred on the rich side of the max hp point.
The motor would run if I leaned it way way out, less hp, but still enough hp to make go, but the danger is too lean and the heat in the cylinder will start to melt everything (the gasoline actually plays a part in keeping the internal temps down). The correct method is to put an exhaust temp gauge in and just watch, but I did not, I just never tempted the temps.
My next truck was a diesel but I never tried to lean it out. Expensive fuel pump and I could get 23 mpg on a 7,000lb truck and had plenty of gas money so just left it alone...

Back