diy solar

diy solar

New member & new Tesla charging

SANDAN

I am new here and have a great deal of electrical knowledge however I have some learning to do in the solar & battery world. We just bought my wife a Tesla MYLR for her daily commute and I like the idea of being able to charge it with solar. I live in SENC, so sun is no issue however, I have been told we do not have a ton of south-facing roof that isn't shaded. Based on my rough math, she will be using less than 8kWh per day for her commute. How do I go about determining how much a system like this will run? I'd need to have a battery bank large enough to hold the stored power to charge when she gets home every day so it would need to be 10-12-15kWh in capacity? Also, I need to figure out how many sq ft. of panels I'd need to install.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning here!

What's a MYLR?

Where is SENC?

Assuming you have excellent sun and your roof is reasonably tilted for your latitude and facing due South, 2500W of solar should get you pretty close (might fall a little short in winter) with 10kWh of battery storage.

Materials alone should run about $8-10K. You'll need to research permitting requirements. Additionally, panels on a roof have additional code compliance requirements that add cost and complexity vs. ground mount.

What's a MYLR?

Where is SENC?

Assuming you have excellent sun and your roof is reasonably tilted for your latitude and facing due South, 2500W of solar should get you pretty close (might fall a little short in winter) with 10kWh of battery storage.

Materials alone should run about $8-10K. You'll need to research permitting requirements. Additionally, panels on a roof have additional code compliance requirements that add cost and complexity vs. ground mount.
MYLR Model Y Long Range
SENC Southeast North Carolina

I did two enlistments as a Marine grunt, doesn't make dropping acronyms sans explaining any better.
MYLR is a stretch but SENC makes sense if you think about it. SE is southeast and North Carolina is the only state with the initials NC. It was the posters second post (this is my 3rd) and I don't think he meant any harm or foul. No need to harp on it.

If you have a reasonable Net Energy metering plan with your power company that might be less expensive than batteries and accomplish the same thing. Essentially you use the grid as a battery, storing credits when the sun shines and using those credits to pay for the energy used when charging the Tesla. I also have a MYLR but since I don't commute I can use available solar to charge, but in a pinch I charge overnight at lower rates.

Back