diy solar

diy solar

New Member - Upstate NY

RandyB

Hi all,
I am currently building a new off grid home (almost done) and have currently four - 6 volt GEL batteries in series/parallel configuration giving me a total of 520 amp hours. I have two 40 amp MPPT controllers tied in parallel to these batteries with 500 watts of panels in parallel tied to each controller supplying a total of 1000 watts. I have a 40 amp charger and generator for back-up charging when there is limited sun. I also have a 1000 watt inverter for my 120 volt needs.

All my lighting and outlets are run 12 volt using 12 volt LED lamps. The inverters job is to operate 2 televisions, a blower motor on my coal fireplace for heating and to operate CO detectors/smoke alarms to meet code.

I have incorporated many ideas and redundant systems to have in place for any failures of power sources.

I also designed myself a completely stand alone gen set to operate my portable generator automatically when the batteries drop below a desired voltage and shut down the generator when batteries are fully charged.

Last edited:
As a NY owner, I'd say you are well under paneled. Panels are the cheapest thing that can be bought. Once Oct happens, I struggle with 3K. Not only do you have to run, but recharge as well. I heat water with excess PV and that works out well. You can always skip a hot shower.

Hi there, actually I am getting by pretty well right now but plan on adding another 1000 watts. Really it's all dependent on your usage and needs.

My consumption is very low. I use a propane fridge and for hot water I have a 6 gallon camper propane water heater. I cook with propane, I run dual 60psi inline camper pumps for water (one for hot, one for cold) from a 50 gallon storage tank. The storage tank fills using its own solar set-up which consists of using a battery, 100 watt panel and a controller. I'm using a 12 volt continuous duty pump in the well which keeps the tank filled with fresh water daily while circulating back to the well. All my lighting is 12 volt LED.

On even overcast days my batteries are topped off by the time I get home from work. I run one light when I get home till bedtime. I can easily watch 5 hours of TV a night......blower on coal stove runs 24/7 for heat and still at a voltage of 12.4 when I wake up in the morning.

The inverters job is to operate 2 televisions, a blower motor on my coal fireplace for heating and to operate CO detectors/smoke alarms to meet code.

Wow! You have done a great job in minimizing your usage. Have you considered replacing the AC blower motor with DC?

Wow! You have done a great job in minimizing your usage. Have you considered replacing the AC blower motor with DC?

I did make a conversion with dual PC fans but didn't work out too well. The blower is a squirrel cage type and to replace with a dc squirrel cage it would consume the same wattage. Actually with my current set up it's no problem keeping it running 24/7.

As a point of interest, I have 520W of panels at home just used for circuit design. This December nothing much was happening for projects and I had an electronic dump load on the panels for 31 days. The panels were kept at power point so this was the maximum energy available recorded. 31 days, 17, 010WH or 549WH a day average. I'm a minimalist too, but run most everything with PV at camp like refrigerator, hot water and the other usual devices. Even a dishwasher with heated dry and something to keep me alive at night. All with just a car battery. Next year adding a clothes washer. I schedule loads and use PV power real time instead of storing it.

Hi all,
I am currently building a new off grid home (almost done) and have currently four - 6 volt GEL batteries in series/parallel configuration giving me a total of 520 amp hours. I have two 40 amp MPPT controllers tied in parallel to these batteries with 500 watts of panels in parallel tied to each controller supplying a total of 1000 watts. I have a 40 amp charger and generator for back-up charging when there is limited sun. I also have a 1000 watt inverter for my 120 volt needs.

All my lighting and outlets are run 12 volt using 12 volt LED lamps. The inverters job is to operate 2 televisions, a blower motor on my coal fireplace for heating and to operate CO detectors/smoke alarms to meet code.

I have incorporated many ideas and redundant systems to have in place for any failures of power sources.

I also designed myself a completely stand alone gen set to operate my portable generator automatically when the batteries drop below a desired voltage and shut down the generator when batteries are fully charged.

Hello,
I'm in San jose, Ca, just finised my 48v Off Grid system,
Here is my setup :
- 375w REC solar panel x 9 ( Total 3375 w )
- Midnite Classic 150 Charge controller
- Meritsun 48v/200AH Lifepo4 battery Powerwall ( Total 10Kwh )
- 48v/7000w/120v ac Reliable Inverter
It's been running very nice, power a whole home ( 1200 Sq ) all day and night
For the total price less than $9000 Usd, pretty good deal,

Back