diy solar

diy solar

new solar setup

If you have enough panels your battery will not be used during sunny days, that can lower your battery requirement.

So, the next big question is how many cycles do you expect/need? That is, will you be running them only during a power outage (e.g., a few times a year)?

Battleborn LiFePO4s run about a $/Wh, so 4,600 Wh is ~$5,000 just for the battery but it'll last 5000s cycles at 80% depth of discharge (DoD). DIY LiFePO4 batteries are around $0.40/wh, so ~$2300. AGM lead acid is about $0.32/watt-hour with a 50% DoD so about $3000 for 1000 cycles. If you think you'll only need ~30 cycles per year, you could probably run the AGMs for a decade at 90% DoD for ~$1700.

See AGM Question: DOD% vs Life Expectancy and the Battery FAQ for more.

Last edited:
If you have enough panels your battery will not be used during sunny days, that can lower your battery requirement.
True, but planning for a contingency of two days with no sun means you need the 4,600 Wh. Although you might use that to decide on a DoD. That is, you use a 90% DoD for two days with no sun knowing that most of the time you'll get some sun so have a lower DoD. So, it's a trade off of costs versus cycle life.

These are the batteries I’m thinking about . Am I best with 100 amp or 200 amp
What do you think

Attachments

• E181B5CE-0E7F-4BAA-A23F-8E3E153C59BE.png
    E181B5CE-0E7F-4BAA-A23F-8E3E153C59BE.png
    311.7 KB · Views: 8
Wow! Nice price for a drop in!

A 24V system might have a slightly higher inverter efficiency. Mainly it's choice of $. For example 2400W at 12 volts is 200 amps, at 24V it's only 100 amps... so you might be able to use a less expensive wire gauge at 24V. But you might find a better price on a 12V inverter. So, for me it's the kind of thing I have to run the cost numbers both ways to make the decision.

Wires not an issue as I work in construction and can get it for free. I am thinking of the mppt epever charge controller

Without considering the 2 days without sun which should be load*3 in real-life, I'm showing a 400ah battery before calculating the night vs day usage.

I finally had time to run the calculations.

Minimal load per day: 2,443 watts
Minimal solar panels necessary: 600 watts
Average Load: 206 watts
Inverter needed: 500 watt (to save power), 1,000w depending on fridge surge.
Backup time for 2 realized days on backup: 64 run hours or 6,515 watts. (650ah)
Backup time for 1 realized day on backup: 40 run hours or 4,072 watts. (400ah)
Battery 2 day backup: 650ah.
Battery 1 day backup: 400ah.
Battery 0 day backup: 150ah.

I used LiFePo4 as the battery beause it does not require full charges, offers the longest life and is the least damanged for going below 30%. These calcuations are with the battery going down to 20% for each cycle.

In this configuration, the sun goes down today (Tuesday) and you will have remaining backup power until Friday Morning. (2 full days without Solar Energy). I am assuming you are getting a yearly average of 5.5 hours of sun per day. You can search on google for your location and get your average sun hours. I suggested a 500w inverter because your max load is just over 200 watts and a 2000w inverter, even with low power mode will draw 1 to 2 amps under no load so that also has to be added in. (24 - 48 amp hours if not used and has to be added to the total load). I included 156 watt hours for the inverter.

assuming 5.5 hours, using a MPPT charge controller, you should yield 3.3 kw hours with just under that daily load. I would also consider the minimal or average days of sunlight. I get anywhere beween 4 and 10 charge hours and to cut it this close, you will need to know your average and how many days in a stretch you get much less than normal. For those days, a backup to the backup might be necessary.

There are still too many unknowns for a definate answer but this is a good start.

Questions?

Back