diy solar

diy solar

Sun Earth panel set up.

Jazlovesaproject

Hi Guys, first time positing in the forum, first time in any forum actually! First sunshine in England in what feels like forever so keen to crack on with the new project!!
Totally new to solar, tho reasonably practical with woodwork and tools, I've got nothing when it comes to electrics. Time to learn some new skills!

I've managed to get a couple panels and my aim is to use them to run my household lighting. I plan to install a completely new 12v lighting system that runs throughout the house, independently of the 240. I'd also like to do some charging of small electrical items.

The panels are...

Sun Earth - Ningbo solar
170w
35.0 VMP
44.0 VOC
4.86A IMP
5.36A ISC

I have two of these panels. I *think* I run them in series..

From researching online and on the forum I *think* I need a 100v/30A charge controller.

And I *think* I need a deep cycle Lithium 100amp battery.

It looks as tho I should use 6mm cable from panels to controller, presumably from controller to battery.

Does that sound about right?

As I said, I have no idea, and the internet is a truly mind boggling place. Every time I answer one question I make two new ones and I feel like I've been chasing my tail for weeks trying to get my head around it.

Be great to have some confirmation I am on the right lines before I start spending proper money!!

Thanks so much for any advice you can give :)

Hi Guys, first time positing in the forum, first time in any forum actually! First sunshine in England in what feels like forever so keen to crack on with the new project!!

Pictures or it didn't happen. :p

Totally new to solar, tho reasonably practical with woodwork and tools, I've got nothing when it comes to electrics. Time to learn some new skills!

I've managed to get a couple panels and my aim is to use them to run my household lighting. I plan to install a completely new 12v lighting system that runs throughout the house, independently of the 240. I'd also like to do some charging of small electrical items.

How many bulbs and what wattage?

Sun Earth - Ningbo solar
170w
35.0 VMP
44.0 VOC
4.86A IMP
5.36A ISC

(y)

I have two of these panels. I *think* I run them in series..

From researching online and on the forum I *think* I need a 100v/30A charge controller.

Maybe not on that controller 88Voc on a 100V controller is a bit close. If it NEVER EVER has been below -10°C, 2S is fine, but if it has, parallel is better.

If that's a Victron 100/30, congratulations!

And I *think* I need a deep cycle Lithium 100amp battery.

"deep cycle" is a mostly-marketing term for lead acid. All Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) batteries are deeper than deep cycle. :)

amp = current = the instantaneous amount of flowing e-juice.
amp-hr, Ah = capacity = the total e-juice held for a given voltage.

The capacity depends on your energy needs.

It looks as tho I should use 6mm cable from panels to controller, presumably from controller to battery.

When you say 6mm, do you mean 6mm dia or 6mm^2? 6mm^2 is a little beefier than 10awg, which handles 30A.

Panels can output 340W (we'll pretend this is possible in the UK).

340W/12V = 28A

Thus 6mm^2 will work. 6mm dia is overkill.

You should also fuse or install breaker in the wire. You want your fuse/breaker 25% bigger than the wire to insure you don't get nuisance fuse/breaker events as they will pop if run at their max rating. 40A is probably the next logical size.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :p

How many bulbs and what wattage?

(y)

Maybe not on that controller 88Voc on a 100V controller is a bit close. If it NEVER EVER has been below -10°C, 2S is fine, but if it has, parallel is better.

If that's a Victron 100/30, congratulations!

"deep cycle" is a mostly-marketing term for lead acid. All Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) batteries are deeper than deep cycle. :)

amp = current = the instantaneous amount of flowing e-juice.
amp-hr, Ah = capacity = the total e-juice held for a given voltage.

The capacity depends on your energy needs.

When you say 6mm, do you mean 6mm dia or 6mm^2? 6mm^2 is a little beefier than 10awg, which handles 30A.

Panels can output 340W (we'll pretend this is possible in the UK).

340W/12V = 28A

Thus 6mm^2 will work. 6mm dia is overkill.

You should also fuse or install breaker in the wire. You want your fuse/breaker 25% bigger than the wire to insure you don't get nuisance fuse/breaker events as they will pop if run at their max rating. 40A is probably the next logical size.
Wow, loads of info, fantastic thank you!

I have no idea of the energy needs, to be honest. I'm in a DIY twin unit caravan with extension, probably 30sqft, I have 3 small bedrooms and kitchen, lounge, bathroom, each room currently has between 10-20 watts of energy efficient bulbs on my 240 electric. So I'm trying to replace that sort of thing with Led strip, maybe some spotlights, and ideally a usb charging socket in each room, from the 12v. I may be totally out of my tree tho, I have no idea. I thought I'd set up the panels, build myself a charging station with usb and 12v sockets in the meantime and then learn how to do the LED stuff one room at a time, adding that to my solar as I go, see how it fares. I realise I'm probably going about it all wrong.

Yes sorry I meant 6mm^2

Yes a Victron 100/30 - gonna go for the Bluetooth, in the hope I can monitor and then develop set up when understanding comes 😅
But I have absolutely no idea what you mean about -10°.. isn't 88VOC the most it can output, therefore 100v is all groovy?

Super helpful on the battery info there, thanks! Same for the fuse breaker, I knew of that but wasn't sure so that's great, nice one.

Also be great to know about storage, can I make an insulated mini shed/cupboard to keep it all in or does it need to be more than that?

Thanks so much for your help!

Wow, loads of info, fantastic thank you!

I have no idea of the energy needs, to be honest. I'm in a DIY twin unit caravan with extension, probably 30sqft, I have 3 small bedrooms and kitchen, lounge, bathroom, each room currently has between 10-20 watts of energy efficient bulbs on my 240 electric. So I'm trying to replace that sort of thing with Led strip, maybe some spotlights, and ideally a usb charging socket in each room, from the 12v. I may be totally out of my tree tho, I have no idea. I thought I'd set up the panels, build myself a charging station with usb and 12v sockets in the meantime and then learn how to do the LED stuff one room at a time, adding that to my solar as I go, see how it fares. I realise I'm probably going about it all wrong.

Energy needs are very important in deciding how much battery you need and if your solar is adequate. Even a guesstimate is better than a shoulder shrug.

Yes sorry I meant 6mm^2

Figured, but us colonists don't always understand the ways of the motherland.

Yes a Victron 100/30 - gonna go for the Bluetooth, in the hope I can monitor and then develop set up when understanding comes 😅

Congrats.

But I have absolutely no idea what you mean about -10°.. isn't 88VOC the most it can output, therefore 100v is all groovy?

Nope. Panels are rated at standard conditions, 1000W/m^2 of irradiance and cell temperature of 25°C. Colder means higher voltage, hotter means lower voltage. What I'm saying is that if it's ever been -10°C or lower where you plan to have these panels in series, you may exceed 100V to the controller... pop goes the Victron. No, there is no tolerance on 100V. It is a NEVER exceed and an instant voiding of the warranty type of number.

Super helpful on the battery info there, thanks! Same for the fuse breaker, I knew of that but wasn't sure so that's great, nice one.

Also be great to know about storage, can I make an insulated mini shed/cupboard to keep it all in or does it need to be more than that?

Pretty flexible on that. You want adequate ventilation for components and physical protection. That varies greatly by one's personal tolerance. :)

Back