diy solar

diy solar

Learner set up

NZ12VOLT

Wow great info here ,mind boggling
Not sure on wording but got some cheap solar panels as pic shows 12volt 10 watt .83amps ( low) ..I'm running 3x12v panels wired in PARALLEL running into 30amp PWM solar controller into 12volt car battery with a 600w power inverter to run 42' TV in a caravan instead of 240 mains power
Everything works great when the suns out but clouds seems to trigger low voltage alert on the inverter at 10.8volts so I turn off to let batt charge up again which is pretty quick but annoying.Also running led lights through the dimmer
I understand my input is lacking on the amps side but wondering if I can again boost the system using 2x10amp controllers which I have to maybe increase charging input from the solar controller to the battery to keep up with the load or do I just need a better wattage panel.
Thanks for any advice on my budget system
I have read this 2 solar controller set up works better than just 1 controller but asking the gurus here before I get screwdrivers out

Screenshot_20231121-103743_Trade Me.jpg20231121_111503.jpg20231121_111421.jpg20231121_111916.jpg

Last edited:
My opinion is that you could spend better money than those controllers. Most of those are 20-30A output…

What you are lacking is input power - a 42” TV will probably be ~65W and all you are giving it is half of that: 30W

I’d look for a couple of used 100W solar panels and give yourself enough power to use and charge the battery.

That’s the fastest way to get your system functioning well.

Excellent info , yeh I was trying to do it on the cheap side since they were cheap (panels $20,controller $16 )
I'll spash out and get one this week,,
The old saying buy cheap buy twice
Will just use these for night lighting now and start again
Thank you for info sure is a lot to learn

Looked at many but this panel was reduced in price and it was around same price as 100w ,good stuff here is top $$ and not rich by any means .
Compared to what I seen here my set up bit of a laugh but gota start somewhere, Dont want no expensive set up but simple and easy to follow and reduce main power,+ safe, use,caravan only has lights,TV and a fan so might add another battery if anything till things get cheaper

Last edited:
Don’t sell yourself off at too much of a discount.
Exactly, we all started somewhere ?
Ha thanks.Well panel arrived, wire probably arrive tomorrow looking at tracking
Hey you think this big enough lol20231124_163050.jpg20231124_163126.jpg
I'll do brackets soon and mount it tomorrow20231124_164935.jpg

Just ask also is this safe ? I do have a fuse on the battery, but no main off on unless I disconnect battery lead which I do when not here .
Anything I need to watch out for or just hook it up and let the controller do its thing ?
Thanks

Last edited:
You should confirm controller settings for the battery (-ies)
A disconnect is smart.
Ah sorry forgot that part..normal car battery (brand new) Century 400cca--42Ah my 3 panels still running with controller set at 13.7 and dont charge past that
Batt 601
Full voltage 14.4 but set at 13.7
Discharge reconnect 12.6
Discharge stop 10.7

I got a isolation off on switch ,I just have to find it
Thanks again
Ian

Hi Ian

You might really want to look at a deep cycle battery if funds allow , that car battery probably won't last very long
Yes I have been looking at decent batterys and sure not cheap,but know I need one,I better call Santa
This batt was 200 , found a used deep cycle solar batt but at 700 phew,,new cheap one over 1000.
Thought this power was free lol.catch 22. Anything in NZ has gold plated prices.will keep looking for one

Yes I have been looking at decent batterys and sure not cheap,but know I need one,I better call Santa
This batt was 200 , found a used deep cycle solar batt but at 700 phew,,new cheap one over 1000.
Thought this power was free lol.catch 22. Anything in NZ has gold plated prices.will keep looking for one

Not sure whats available out there (sounds grim)

But consider deep cycle Gel or AGM if you can rather than flooded lead-acid, they are simpler.

Batteries do come up in used good condition , like ex UPS, ex telecoms (powersafe), ex forklift traction batteries etc etc , you can often get quality lead acid gels penny's on the pound

Something to be aware of on that new 200w panel you've got is the 28v VoC and 24v Vmp mean that you're going to lose 1/2 your power potential going through that cheapie PWM controller. It's still going to be an improvement over the 10w guys but you'll only ever get about 100w at best out of it. A cheap MPPT controller will make it about twice as good. Pro tip: With very VERY few exceptions if it has USB ports on it, it'sa cheap PWM with the word "MPPT" painted on it and the seller laughing all the way to the bank.

You'll want at least a 20a SCC for that panel, but since the price difference between 20a and 40a is almost nothing, I'd recommend that so you have room to grow in the future. Even the much aligned PowMr metal box SCC's will turn solar DC into battery DC just fine. You don't need to listen to the "Victron or nothing!" fanboys. I've had good luck with PowMr, HQST, Sunsyths, Rich Solar, and Weize over the years. I can't recommend EPEver because of their slow ass tracking issues but YMMV on that one.

Something to be aware of on that new 200w panel you've got is the 28v VoC and 24v Vmp mean that you're going to lose 1/2 your power potential going through that cheapie PWM controller. It's still going to be an improvement over the 10w guys but you'll only ever get about 100w at best out of it. A cheap MPPT controller will make it about twice as good. Pro tip: With very VERY few exceptions if it has USB ports on it, it'sa cheap PWM with the word "MPPT" painted on it and the seller laughing all the way to the bank.

You'll want at least a 20a SCC for that panel, but since the price difference between 20a and 40a is almost nothing, I'd recommend that so you have room to grow in the future. Even the much aligned PowMr metal box SCC's will turn solar DC into battery DC just fine. You don't need to listen to the "Victron or nothing!" fanboys. I've had good luck with PowMr, HQST, Sunsyths, Rich Solar, and Weize over the years. I can't recommend EPEver because of their slow ass tracking issues but YMMV on that one.
Thanks yeh I was wondering if I should get a better controller, now you said that I will..To be honest I was bit confused on panel specs when I brought it,saw the word RV and presume this ok ,
Hey its mounted to the roof now ,just waiting on wire set
Good explanation too I can understand that ,,,

The nice thing is that you don't have to throw your existing system away, you can just wire the new controller and panel to the batteries the same way the old set is and the two sets of panels/controllers will ignore each other. What's better than 200w of panel? 230w of panel for the same cost! :geek:

I'm getting egger now but getting dark lol,
This panel was heavy on me poor caravan roof so used length of steel(no alloy) across width if roof and mounted panel to it ,solid,but hey it's what I had about,eventually will fit tilting brackets,roof flimsy skinny allow sheet and feels like no frame inside it so couldn't sit the panel and brackets epoxyed to the roof like I was wanting. All trial and error

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231125-191900_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125-191900_Gallery.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Back