diy solar

diy solar

Newb looking for advice on portable system to charge cordless tool batteries

autobon7

Complete newby here.......probably more "green" than anyone on this forum. Have often referred to myself as an electrical dummy. Never-the-less I am seeking direction on a solar project. Am purchasing a VERY rural piece of ground that has no utilities. I plan on working clearing brush, removing some trees, building a small shelter, etc and will be using lots of cordless tools and will need to recharge often. Don't want a gas generator and not convinced about the performance and reliability of the Jackery type portable power station units. What is the best route for this electrical dummy that does not break the bank?

Start with the DIY checklist in my signature.

One of the first steps is to define your energy requirements. Once you've done that, you'll be able to size your components accordingly.

In your case, google your brand & flavor of battery tool and see if they make a 12v car charger for that tool. Many of the 12/18/20v tools will have car chargers which is a really, really easy system to build. If you're using the 40v tool range then car chargers are pretty rare and you'll have to make a more complex system probably involving inverters and the like.

Welcome to the party autobon7.

In your case, google your brand & flavor of battery tool and see if they make a 12v car charger for that tool. Many of the 12/18/20v tools will have car chargers which is a really, really easy system to build. If you're using the 40v tool range then car chargers are pretty rare and you'll have to make a more complex system probably involving inverters and the like.
Yep, what Rednecktek said.

We are assuming you have an automobile of some sort. Just add a solar panel or two, wires, charge controller and a fuse or breaker.

Will check out the chargers tonight (at work now :) but I use Bosch 18v, Milwaukee 18v, Milwaukee 12v, and Kobalt 24v

Welcome to the party autobon7.

Yep, what Rednecktek said.

We are assuming you have an automobile of some sort. Just add a solar panel or two, wires, charge controller and a fuse or breaker.
Yep have a 07 Prius and a 06 GX470

I have an old Ford and an older Chevy. Maybe your newer vehicles won't like being connected as I have suggested. ?‍♂️
I have been on the lookout for a F100 or a J10 and will buy one or the other when the right one comes along.

I hate to say it, but I'd probably be looking for a small 1400W-2000W inverter generator if I was in your shoes. For <$500 they are cheap, reliable, can supply a decent amount of 120V power for many uses, unaffected by weather, fairly light weight, are very quiet, and sip gas.

Single 100ah chins battery
2-300w PV panel
1500w inverter
10-20A solar charge controller

Most corded chargers only pull 60-200w so you don’t need much. It’s amazing what can be done with a handful of 6ah 18v batteries in a day.

Don't want a gas generator and not convinced about the performance and reliability of the Jackery type portable power station units. What is the best route for this electrical dummy that does not break the bank?
Id start with a Jackery product. The nice thing about it is its portable and you can take it with you to various locations. To graduate from that would be an AIO growatt/mpp. One box that will support more solar and more output than the Jackery and suitable for long term permanent install.

The other note I have is dont rule out an inverter style generator. You will have cloudy overcast days and your going to be short on power and its stupid to sit around doing nothing because you don't have a $400 generator and 5 gal of gas.

One of the resident geniuses here (apologies can’t remember who) suggested taking old 12V tools with junk batteries and wiring direct to a large battery. Technically not cordless anymore. But it greatly extends the runtime, allows using otherwise junk tools, and takes the weight of the battery off your arm. You could even make a fanny pack battery for portability.

If you want something that is good enough, truly cheap and dummy proof (please nobody flame me) get the Harbor Freight panel kit and 35AH battery. Once you get more educated, and adventurous, replace with a better system and donate the HF kit to the next dummy for their education.

Last edited:
(please nobody flame me) get the Harbor Freight panel kit and 35AH battery.
Don't. Please just don't. Just don't do it. If you're going to pursue the HF path of solar, get the monocrystalline panel version. Yes, those panels parallel like krap but they will still put out 4x the wattage of that multi-panel kit. They do series up nicely if you re-head the ends so a cheapie MPPT controller can play with those quite nicely.

Last edited:
Will check out the chargers tonight (at work now :) but I use Bosch 18v, Milwaukee 18v, Milwaukee 12v, and Kobalt 24v
Back to the OP:

The Milwaukee is an easy one, but it looks like neither the Bosch nor the Kobalt have vehicle battery chargers available. Fortunately a simple cheap inverter in the 200-300w range should be fine for your needs. If you wanted to do a lot of chargers at the same time, you'll have to look at the bottom of the chargers you have now. On the label it should have a line for "Output: 18v @ 5a" or something like that. Multiply those together and round up to the nearest hundred for each charger you have. Add them all up and that'll give you an idea of what size inverter you'd need in the event of every battery being dead at once.

A smaller gas generator, especially if it will run on propane, would be a great start as it won't care if there are clouds/rain/locusts/flying koala's blocking the sun.

Don't. Please just don't. Just don't do it. If you're going to pursue the HF path of solar, get the monocrystalline panel version. Yes, those panels parallel like krap but they will still put out 4x the wattage of that multi-panel kit. They do series up nicely if you re-head the ends so a cheapie MPPT controller can play with those quite nicely.
You beat me to it. My reply almost exactly as I would have worded it. Stay away from those Harbor Freight thin film style panels. They are crap.

Don't. Please just don't. Just don't do it. If you're going to pursue the HF path of solar, get the monocrystalline panel version.
I said the kit was good "enough" for his low power project, not that it was any good. The OP requested a dummy-proof system, and that kit is plug & play complete right out of the box. Good for a learning tool.

Anything else will require sourcing connectors, electrical tools and custom wiring which will inhibit the OP's leap into solar.

Anything else will require sourcing connectors, electrical tools and custom wiring which will inhibit the OP's leap into solar.
Your 100% wrong as the Jackery style (solar generators) have kits that are entirely plug and play with pannels and all the other wireing needs included. Open the box and use it and is 100x more useful product.

I said the kit was good "enough" for his low power project, not that it was any good. The OP requested a dummy-proof system, and that kit is plug & play complete right out of the box. Good for a learning tool.

While I will agree that they are dummy proof, and I've bought 3 of them in my life, I fear it would neither serve his needs NOR give him a good first experience with solar. For less money he can get something like a Renogy 100w Kit or even better yet a Weize 200w kit that will have actually useful panels, the wire, and a set of mounting brackets. They also both come with 30a controllers so adding in a 3rd panel in parallel is cheap and easy.

They say you never forget your first, and there are MUCH better options for his first solar experience than the HF kit. I almost gave up on solar completely because of those kits until I bought my camp. Back then there wasn't nearly as many options out there nor were there very many good resources to learn from so I figured there HAD to be a better way. Then the 100w panels started coming around for $150-200 each and I gave it another crack.

For other parts, especially for first timers, you can't really go wrong with the WallyWorld 120Ah DC29 batteries for about $100 out the door and readily available. I try to tell people that if you're going to risk destroying a battery, risk a CHEAP battery. :)

With pretty much every battery charger on earth using a switching power supply, he could even go with a cheaper Modified Sine inverter, although I would still HIGHLY recommend spending the little extra on a Pure Sine inverter. That's a worthwhile investment that will last you a good long while.

Last edited:
While I will agree that they are dummy proof, and I've bought 3 of them in my life, I fear it would neither serve his needs NOR give him a good first experience with solar. For less money he can get something like a Renogy 100w Kit or even better yet a Weize 200w kit that will have actually useful panels, the wire, and a set of mounting brackets. They also both come with 30a controllers so adding in a 3rd panel in parallel is cheap and easy.

They say you never forget your first, and there are MUCH better options for his first solar experience than the HF kit. I almost gave up on solar completely because of those kits until I bought my camp. Back then there wasn't nearly as many options out there nor were there very many good resources to learn from so I figured there HAD to be a better way. Then the 100w panels started coming around for $150-200 each and I gave it another crack.

For other parts, especially for first timers, you can't really go wrong with the WallyWorld 120Ah DC29 batteries for about $100 out the door and readily available. I try to tell people that if you're going to risk destroying a battery, risk a CHEAP battery. :)

With pretty much every battery charger on earth using a switching power supply, he could even go with a cheaper Modified Sine inverter, although I would still HIGHLY recommend spending the little extra on a Pure Sine inverter. That's a worthwhile investment that will last you a good long while.
Besides batteries is there anything else that is needed? I see an inverter is needed can you recommend?

Back