diy solar

diy solar

Newb looking for advice on portable system to charge cordless tool batteries

Besides batteries is there anything else that is needed? I see an inverter is needed can you recommend?
For that you'll have to do some math on the chargers. Add up all the watts each charger calls for and round up if you want to be able to charge everything at once. Once you know how much wattage you'll need then we can help find the right size options for you.

Complete newby here.......probably more "green" than anyone on this forum. Have often referred to myself as an electrical dummy. Never-the-less I am seeking direction on a solar project. Am purchasing a VERY rural piece of ground that has no utilities. I plan on working clearing brush, removing some trees, building a small shelter, etc and will be using lots of cordless tools and will need to recharge often. Don't want a gas generator and not convinced about the performance and reliability of the Jackery type portable power station units. What is the best route for this electrical dummy that does not break the bank?
Will check out the chargers tonight (at work now :) but I use Bosch 18v, Milwaukee 18v, Milwaukee 12v, and Kobalt 24v
The tool chargers don’t pull a lot of power. If I truly didn’t have ANY other needs but powering tool battery chargers, a 300-600W inverter connected to a good 100-200 watt battery will easily power chargers for days. And getting a decent mppt charge controller and a good 300+ watts of solar panels should handle keeping it charged up.
I understand not wanting to plunk down the change a jackery demands. They are designed for portability, and charge for that feature alone.
I use several 300W portable solar generators for various uses, and while they do work, they certainly couldn’t handle multiple chargers on a daily basis. They charge too slowly, and have severe limits on solar inputs.

All in one inverters simplify purchase and setup. Will Prowse and lithiumsolar have each done build videos on similar projects.

Was not aware of the Weize 200w kit which looks like an inexpensive and far superior dummy-proof system. I hereby retract the HF recommendation.

For your first leap into solar I still recommend getting car chargers for your tools to keep everything DC, and skip the inverter. When you get more educated and adventurous then you can look at expanding the system, and at that point get the inverter.

You could go my route and get a good used electric golf cart. Put some mud tires on it and you have a really useful "green" gator / powered wheelbarrow. Lots of torque to drag cut trees out of the woods. I used mine to drag a 400lb 14KW generator pallet from the garage to the install site.

The 48V battery set will do double-duty with a 48V inverter and easily power your cabin or tiny home, and acts as ballast for a solar panel mount. Self-propelled power station. Caution: working with 48V is not for the uninitiated.

Attachments

• golf cart.jpg
    golf cart.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Generator Install.jpg
    Generator Install.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
For your first leap into solar I still recommend getting car chargers for your tools to keep everything DC, and skip the inverter.
Unfortunately 2 of his flavor of power tools don't offer a car charger option, they're AC only so there's going to have to be an inverter involved. :(

I have an EV whose 12 volt supply is supported by the entire propulsion pack so I just use a cheap 12V to 120 volt inverter and plug in my power tool battery chargers into that. For the Amphours consumed it seem you could do the same with ICE battery?

For the Amphours consumed it seem you could do the same with ICE battery?
Not really, because of the way the plates are built in a starting battery VS a deep cycle he'd have to run the engine for the hours it would take to charge up the batteries or risk having dead tool batteries AND a dead truck.

A starting battery is designed to provide ALLTHEAMPSRIGHTNOWchargechargechargechargechargechargecharge
Whereas deep cycles and LFP's are designed more for AmpsAmpsAmpsAmpsAmpsAmpsAmpsCHARGECHARGE

:)

I have an EV whose 12 volt supply is supported by the entire propulsion pack so I just use a cheap 12V to 120 volt inverter and plug in my power tool battery chargers into that. For the Amphours consumed it seem you could do the same with ICE battery?
I have the same thing, in my work truck. Just for charging tool batteries. (ICE)
400w inverter

Not really, because of the way the plates are built in a starting battery VS a deep cycle he'd have to run the engine for the hours it would take to charge up the batteries or risk having dead tool batteries AND a dead truck.

A starting battery is designed to provide ALLTHEAMPSRIGHTNOWchargechargechargechargechargechargecharge
Whereas deep cycles and LFP's are designed more for AmpsAmpsAmpsAmpsAmpsAmpsAmpsCHARGECHARGE

:)
Yes, you do have to be mindful of engine off charging.
No more than a couple of hours for me.
But, it's dependent on the load applied.
I mostly charge on the way, to and from jobs.

IF they are trying to debate the cost of a $500 Jackery like solar charger setup, they arnt going to go for a $4K electric cart.
Not debating the cost of the Jackery just the long term reliability. Have a friend who bought when they first became available and had issues. Customer service was great but took some time to sort it out. Id be a happy camper to have a system that would meet my needs and be very reliable at $500. Whether it be a Jackery type unit, gas, solar, or ?. Gas is probably least appealing but if it makes the most sense (and quiet) then I’ll go that route. Just appreciate everyone’s input.

For that you'll have to do some math on the chargers. Add up all the watts each charger calls for and round up if you want to be able to charge everything at once. Once you know how much wattage you'll need then we can help find the right size options for you.
Would that be input or output?

Not debating the cost of the Jackery just the long term reliability. Have a friend who bought when they first became available and had issues. Customer service was great but took some time to sort it out. Id be a happy camper to have a system that would meet my needs and be very reliable at $500. Whether it be a Jackery type unit, gas, solar, or ?. Gas is probably least appealing but if it makes the most sense (and quiet) then I’ll go that route. Just appreciate everyone’s input.
Your reliability question is valid. Jackery seems to claim 2yr warentee. I know the Buss Grease Monkey
has been useing a solar generator for over a year as his primary portable power for running everything from cordless tool chargers to small air compressors and they have held up. (granted his is like a $1500 unit)

Watts is watts.
Input and output are the same.
(Minus efficiency losses)
With charge controllers there are two differing wattage numbers to consider.

There are rated output or charging watts/amps and there are maximum PV wattage to the controller. Overpaneling to cover off angle solar input etc…

With charge controllers there are two differing wattage numbers to consider.

There are rated output or charging watts/amps and there are maximum PV wattage to the controller. Overpaneling to cover off angle solar input etc…
Wrong context Screenshot_20220703-222000_Chrome.jpg

Would that be input or output?
I would use the Output as the Input will probably be 100-250v @ xAmps and the wattage is going to be a LOT different when you math that out. The output numbers will give you a more definitive number. Add about 20% to that for headroom and that should get you in the ball park.

I would use the Output as the Input will probably be 100-250v @ xAmps and the wattage is going to be a LOT different when you math that out. The output numbers will give you a more definitive number. Add about 20% to that for headroom and that should get you in the ball park.
I’m thinking 508 watts not including the 20% bump.

If security allows, pick an stick. Job box, LiFePO4 battery. 12 volt charger for whatever tool brand you go with. Couple of 300 watt solar panels on top. Controller. Done. Let it charge when you are not there. Variable is how many 12v batteries you stick in the box. They will charge each sunny day and be full of watts when needed. Dead simple.

Easily done with Ryobi but the tools are not up to serious work. Though clearing brush with a recip saw and a long demo blade works pretty well up to 2-3 inch stuff. The 6 amp batteries go and go.

edit-do it right. No alligator clamps! (chuckle)

I’m thinking 508 watts not including the 20% bump.
So get a 600w or so inverter and that should be plenty without having a huge standby draw to worry about.

If security allows, pick an stick. Job box, LiFePO4 battery. 12 volt charger for whatever tool brand you go with. Couple of 300 watt solar panels on top. Controller. Done. Let it charge when you are not there. Variable is how many 12v batteries you stick in the box. They will charge each sunny day and be full of watts when needed. Dead simple.
If you can make a secure solar generator you can leave on site that also makes life simpler. If you're in cold environments you're going to want lead acid batteries of some sort anyways and anyone who can [pick up a Job-box full of batteries and run off with it has earned it! :)

Good point about freezing. Too hot to imagine cold weather right now. Stick a few 80 lb bags on concrete in the job box for added security.

Back