diy solar

diy solar

Newbie building an off grid home with 15000w of panels 250 feet away.

jumbo John car

I am new with just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I am building an offgrid home. I have 15kw of solar panels 2 eg4 6500 inverters. The 18 kw came out right after I bought them.
Any way the panels need to be about 250 feet from the house. Myquestion is what is the best way to go about this. Should I build building by the panels with batteries and inverters there and run wire from there to my fuse box? Or run wire from panels down to inverters by the house.
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice

Whichever of the DC or AC has the highest voltage is best to do the heavy lifting on the long distance.

I am new with just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I am building an offgrid home. I have 15kw of solar panels 2 eg4 6500 inverters. The 18 kw came out right after I bought them.
Any way the panels need to be about 250 feet from the house. Myquestion is what is the best way to go about this. Should I build building by the panels with batteries and inverters there and run wire from there to my fuse box? Or run wire from panels down to inverters by the house.
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice
As a general rule, the most economical solution is to have the highest voltage run the longest distance. In this case that's going to be your PV, which can run up to 500 Vdc. Also, transmission losses for PV aren't as big of a deal as they are for your usable ac power. You would want to limit ac losses to 3% or less, and so you may need some big wires if you were to locate the inverters at the array. But with the PV running the long distance, you don't need to limit losses to 3%: any losses are... just losses. They don't mess up sensitive electronics or harm electric motors, or do any of the other things that ac voltage drop does.
I would locate the inverters and batteries at the house.

Last edited:
Panels can be wherever they can produce the most.
Keep everything else close to where you will use the power.

I have 15kw of solar panels 2 eg4 6500 inverters. The 18 kw came out right after I bought them.

Meant to be genuinely helpful.
I’d explore this program before you wire everything up

As a general rule, the most economical solution is to have the highest voltage run the longest distance. In this case that's your going to be your PV, which can run up to 500 Vdc. Also, transmission losses for PV aren't as big of a deal as they are for your usable ac power. You would want to limit ac losses to 3% or less, and so you may need some big wires if you were to locate the inverters at the array. But with the PV running the long distance, you don't need to limit losses to 3%: any losses are... just losses. They don't mess up sensitive electronics or harm electric motors, or do any of the other things that ac voltage drop does.
I need to run these as 4 sets of 6 panels to keep amps below the 18 amp pv input limit. So 4 sets of 10 or 8 awg wire. The panels are Canadian Solar 320w opv 36.0v imp 8.89a voc 43.5v and isc 9.35a. I don't know if this helps or is just to much info. But thanks for your help.

2 inverters, 4 MPPT inputs total, so 4 strings is good.

But 4 x 6 x 320W = 7680W, half the 15000W you said.

If you have 48 panels total, then 6s2p for each MPPT.

If you have 48 panels total, then 6s2p for each

If you have 48 panels total, then 6s2p for each MPPT.
Oh my mistake have I have 2 2x6 in series in parallel x2 for each inverter making 24 panels per inverter. I was figuring just what I am using to run my RV right now. So sorry for the confusion 😕

That seems fine, for the PV panels you gave specs for, 8 awg, and the inverter I think you have (I may have seen a few other letters in the part number).
Always good to link data sheets so we're on the same page.

When PV strings are on different MPPT, of course they can be of different orientation. Two strings on one MPPT, I like different orientation, to allow overpaneling to about 140% of rating without clipping (and about 2% efficiency loss.)
I think you could put a lot more panels there if you want. Watch out for max Voc when cold, but I think the strings could be longer.

Aluminum 2/0 or 4/0 cable is going to be cheaper than any 10AWG+ copper wire.
If you have the opportunity to build a dedicated "shed" for the solar system then I absolutely would do that.
Yeah, look at the EG4 Luxpower based inverters, miles ahead of the Voltronics units.
Good luck on your home build, I am coming towards the end of that journey....fun, hard work and frustrating.

As a general rule, the most economical solution is to have the highest voltage run the longest distance. In this case that's your going to be your PV, which can run up to 500 Vdc. Also, transmission losses for PV aren't as big of a deal as they are for your usable ac power. You would want to limit ac losses to 3% or less, and so you may need some big wires if you were to locate the inverters at the array. But with the PV running the long distance, you don't need to limit losses to 3%: any losses are... just losses. They don't mess up sensitive electronics or harm electric motors, or do any of the other things that ac voltage drop does.
Trying to figure out cost wise which is best
Aluminum 2/0 or 4/0 cable is going to be cheaper than any 10AWG+ copper wire.
If you have the opportunity to build a dedicated "shed" for the solar system then I absolutely would do that.
Yeah, look at the EG4 Luxpower based inverters, miles ahead of the Voltronics units.
Good luck on your home build, I am coming towards the end of that journey....fun, hard work and frustrating.
Thank you . These are the answers I was looking for. With the inverters I have 120 amp 240 service is the most I will be running. So thank you again. As a P.S. I hope to enlarge my battery bank to 1000 ah

Run PV the long distance. Keep AC from inverters short - they have to supply surge to start motors, and voltage sag matters.

IR losses for PV will be highest when you have high (surplus) production, and don't care.

Back