diy solar

diy solar

Newbie in NC Minnesota

Neumie

Hi all—
I am Darren from north central MN. Just getting started in pv and am very excited. Will be putting small system on off grid cabin, and potentially buying or building one for the house. I’ve got lots of questions!

I ordered the book Install Your Own Solar Panels: Designing and Installing a Photovoltaic System to Power Your Home. I’ve actually purchased 2 Q-cell Q Plus L-4.2 345w panels and hope I can get them to work in the system.

If you have tips for resources and research please let me know. Thanks

These forums have a tutorial section.... i think.
Altestore.com has great instructional text and vids.

The best place to learn how to install your system and select proper equipment is the installation manuals. I read manuals for things i 'think' i might buy or install as a first step.

Nice module choice by the way. High quality, high output, fit and finish excellent, junctions amd connectors good. Best bang for the buck right there.

These forums have a tutorial section.... i think.
Altestore.com has great instructional text and vids.

The best place to learn how to install your system and select proper equipment is the installation manuals. I read manuals for things i 'think' i might buy or install as a first step.
Thanks I’ve been doing the same. It’s probably basic, but I can’t figure out what specs the charge controller will need. Need to do more reading for sure.

Nice module choice by the way. High quality, high output, fit and finish excellent, junctions amd connectors good. Best bang for the buck right there.
Cool, glad you think so. Bought them off CL for $140 ea. Felt it was a good deal.

First component for array so hopefully good start.

Any advice on this wiring layout?
4ga wire
50amp breaker
150 amp fuse
Black/red at bottom right go to 2 12v batteries in series for 24v
PV wires straight into charge controller

Any additional fusing/protection recommendations? Are fuse and breaker in right spots? Seems to me that one of them should be on the array + wire.
60263718-AB86-45F2-8D19-28F847C15675.jpeg

Thanks!!

What is the continuous discharge rating in amps for the battery?
What material is the backer board?
What is the battery chemistry and capacity in amp hours?

Assuming pure copper wire with insulation rated for 105C 4 awg is right on the ragged edge for the inverter and battery cables.
Mega fuses don't have enough breaking capacity for a 24 volt LFP battery.

You should have a double pole single throw breaker between the panels and solar charge controller.

Assuming pure copper wire with insulation rated for 105C 4 awg is right on the ragged edge for the inverter and battery cables.

You should have a double pole single throw breaker between the panels and solar charge controller.
Hi,
Unknown cont discharge.
Particle board shelf for inside a cabinet vented with 8x14” return grill.
Lead acid, 105AH.

Hi,
Unknown cont discharge.
Particle board shelf for inside a cabinet vented with 8x14” return grill.
Lead acid, 105AH.

I would guess that a 105 amp hour lead acid battery will sag terribly if you run the inverter at anywhere near its rated capacity.
Particle board would not be my first choice for a backer board.
I would choose this or similar https://www.jameshardie.ca/products/hardiebacker-cement-board
Do you have a fuse as close to the battery positive terminal as possible?

I would guess that a 105 amp hour lead acid battery will sag terribly if you run the inverter at anywhere near its rated capacity.
Particle board would not be my first choice for a backer board.
I would choose this or similar https://www.jameshardie.ca/products/hardiebacker-cement-board
Do you have a fuse as close to the battery positive terminal as possible?
Understand, my loads are minimal, the system is over paneled and over-inverted. (Lights, radio)
Ok cement board is no problem, thanks!

Understand, my loads are minimal, the system is over paneled and over-inverted. (Lights, radio)
Ok cement board is no problem, thanks!
Its my policy to design for the full capacity of the inverter.
You didn't answer my question about the battery fuse.

Its my policy to design for the full capacity of the inverter.
You didn't answer my question about the battery fuse.
I just realized that re: battery fuse. There’s not one currently. Can I move the 150A I have to battery lug? Or add another?
The battery cables are 2’. They run through back of cabinet, thru wall and into battery box mounted on exterior.
Thanks

I just realized that re: battery fuse. There’s not one currently. Can I move the 150A I have to battery lug? Or add another?
The battery cables are 2’. They run through back of cabinet, thru wall and into battery box mounted on exterior.
Thanks
You can move the 150 amp fuse to within 8 inches of the battery positive terminal.
Or you can use an MRBF right on the battery positive terminal.

Would you please help me with the double pole single throw breaker? The ones I’m finding are for typical AC load centers. Is it similar to the 50a one I have between inverter and charge controller? TIA.

Would you please help me with the double pole single throw breaker? The ones I’m finding are for typical AC load centers. Is it similar to the 50a one I have between inverter and charge controller? TIA.
The one between your inverter and charge controller is a single pole breaker.

What is the voltage of your pv string?
How many strings do you have?
Take the lugs and joiners off this
Should work fine.
You can probably hunt down the original breaker without the added hardware and get it for less $.

Thanks again for your help and quick reply!
PV voltage 48v
PV amperage 18a
2 panels in parallel

Maybe this Breaker

Attachments

• 9F68DE07-D2AE-455C-8469-EA0A2FA49058.jpeg
    9F68DE07-D2AE-455C-8469-EA0A2FA49058.jpeg
    378.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back