diy solar

diy solar

[Newbie question] Trouble with inverter

conus00

Hello guys -
I am a complete newbie to the solar power with a basic knowledge of how electricity works. That being said I apologize in advance if some of my questions will sound stupid to you "solar gurus".
I am located in Tampa, FL and with all the hurricanes I have been losing power quite a bit so I looked into getting backup solar generator.
I have been following Will Prowse's YT channel and decided to build this setup using EG4 battery: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/mobile-48v-system.html

I have currently purchased a bundle (8) 400 W / 41.2V solar panels: https://richsolar.com/products/mega-400-watt-solar-panel?ref=h-cvbzfahsek

I have hooked them up in series and getting 335V input (8*41.2 = 329V so seems legit). I measured the input with multimeter:
20230923_101729.jpg

The PV input on the inverter shows (briefly) 335V but then, almost instantly, drops to 120-ish number (I am not sure if the display should show actual number or just merely "useable" voltage?)
20230923_101640.jpg

Now here is where it gets odd: input only shows 20W - which is ridiculous because it should be close to 3,200W (8*400). I have no means of measuring the actual wattage coming in. My multimeter is just a basic one.
20230923_103055.jpg

Lastly, here is the kicker: the battery input is 0W which should be impossible.
20230923_103103.jpg

All the wiring is correct as the battery charges just fine to 100% using regular AC input.
I am by no means electrical expert but I have a basic knowledge. Is the solar portion of the inverter faulty or are my settings wrong?

I am struggling a bit with programing of the unit.

In the world of perfect I would love to achieve the following:
1. Solar charges the battery first
2. Battery powers the loads

If that is not an option then:
1. Solar provides power to loads first
2. If solar is not sufficient the battery powers the loads while being charged while doing so

My current program setting [01] is SOL and my [45] Low DC cutoff SOC is set to 20%
Does that men that the solar will not kick in until the battery drops under 20%?
I can report back in a little bit as it is currently at 39% and I am draining it as I type this...

Again, I apologize if I am asking stupid questions but I am learning as I go.
Please help!

Seems fine to me.
Battery won't show any input if it's full and the PV voltage drops under load.
You should be looking for an SBU option to run the way you want. If you are using communications it should shut down at 20%.
Put a load on it and see if your readings change, they should.

I drained the battery down to 30% (I got the [04] Low battery code).
At 29% the inverter completely shut off the loads output.
I have switched the program setting to [01] SbU

PV input is now 120V / 50W (I do not know what the numbers mean as multimeter reads 333V and should be close to 3,000W)
20230923_125035.jpg
20230923_125043.jpg

The battery input is at 36W (again why is the number not close to 3,000W) - the panels are almost in full sunlight now.
20230923_125051.jpg

I still do not understand the loss of load output (there is still 29% of battery left)?
How do I achieve this?
20230923_125142.jpg

Lastly what does the flashing P icon means? I cannot find anything in the manual...
This is very confusing!

I drained the battery down to 30% (I got the [04] Low battery code).
At 29% the inverter completely shut off the loads output.
I have switched the program setting to [01] SbU

PV input is now 120V / 50W (I do not know what the numbers mean as multimeter reads 333V and should be close to 3,000W)
View attachment 169003
View attachment 169004

The battery input is at 36W (again why is the number not close to 3,000W) - the panels are almost in full sunlight now.
Do you have any settings for max charge current? What are they set at?
View attachment 169005

I still do not understand the loss of load output (there is still 29% of battery left)?
How do I achieve this?
Didn't you say you set it to shutdown at 30%?
View attachment 169006

Lastly what does the flashing P icon means? I cannot find anything in the manual...
I have no idea. I don't have first hand experience with this inverter but haven't seen to much negative. I'm sure others will chime in soon.
This is very confusing!
It was for me when I first started, it will all make sense soon enough.

Do you have any settings for max charge current? What are they set at?
I have not changed any settings here. It is factory default: 60A

Didn't you say you set it to shutdown at 30%?
If you are asking about the Low DC cutoff SOC it is set to 20%
I have no idea. I don't have first hand experience with this inverter but haven't seen to much negative. I'm sure others will chime in soon.
It is the icon circled in red - it is flashing and I cannot find anything in the manual unless I am missing it.
20230923_103103x.jpg
It was for me when I first started, it will all make sense soon enough.
Here is to hoping!

Last edited:
The battery have been charging for about 2 hours now. I am gaining about 1% per hour. That CANNOT be right?

Assuming you're using communications, unplug the com cable and set battery to user. 56v bulk 54.7 float, see where that gets you.

I think I figured this out: I have two banks of solar panels (3+5 due to space limitations) and, I believe that I have accidentally switched the polarity of the 3 panel bank while connecting them together.
Let's see.

I will update as soon as (if) the battery charges.

If your running different series strings and paralleling them to the same mppt your not going to see full potential...

If your running different series strings and paralleling them to the same mppt your not going to see full potential...
Nope. They are all in series. Due to space limitation I have something like this:
Panelsx.jpg
I reversed the polarity at the arrow.

Last edited:
The inverter is now getting 850W / 160V and battery 1.01kW.
Looks like this all was caused by my own stupidity - well, live and learn!

I would still like to know what the flashing "P" symbol means?

Back