diy solar

diy solar

Newcomer who wants to learn

RomainDGrey

Hey guys, newcomer here.

I have been following the YT channel for a while.

I am currently buying a home which have gas boiler and I think it's time to be more independant (ooh btw, I am from Europe).
I am sure yet of what to buy specifically (I guess it depends on my need) but I am curious about what you think about hybrid (simultaneous PV+water heating) system ?

Is it adding much more complexity to the system ? Would you recommend it if I tell you that I do not have large space to install panels and I plan to have a swimming pool ?

Thank you,
R

Hey guys, newcomer here.

I have been following the YT channel for a while.

I am currently buying a home which have gas boiler and I think it's time to be more independant (ooh btw, I am from Europe).
I am sure yet of what to buy specifically (I guess it depends on my need) but I am curious about what you think about hybrid (simultaneous PV+water heating) system ?

Is it adding much more complexity to the system ? Would you recommend it if I tell you that I do not have large space to install panels and I plan to have a swimming pool ?

Thank you,
R
Clarify, you want to heat water with solar PV or you want to have PV plus, solar heating water directly and use that heated water to heat living space?

When it comes to heating of any kind, be it room or water or food, the general consensus is "Anything But Electric!" as it is a HUGE drain on the expensive batteries.

Welcome!
More details please! You live IN Europe, or you moved from there?
Where are you now? What elevation? What latitude?
Best advice is fill out an energy audit showing what you use.

Thank you all for your quick answers.

To give you more details about my context:
I live in France and I hope to move soon in my new house in Nantes, France (3.0-3.2 kWh/kWp source : https://solargis.com/maps-and-gis-data/download/france). latitude : 47.338985, elevation : 20.75m

The house is currently heat by a gas boiler (that I wish to replace) at the first level and electric convectors on the second level.
I wish to install a swimming pool and it would perfect if I find a solution to heat it during spring/fall. If the system produce extra energy, then I can use it for living space.

I saw some ads for products like this : https://dualsun.com/en/

As far as I know, PVs are losing efficiency when they are heating. The idea was then to cool them and capture the energy.

Last edited:
Maintenance of a system that circulates a liquid coolant would be an issue. Freezing weather would be as well, either forcing the system to be drained or using an antifreeze solution. If you have space, just installing more standard panels should be considered as an alternative to a system with a liquid coolant.

It is an interesting concept, just not sure how long term practical it would be. Things tend to break down and the more complicated, the more often.

I agree with you that, more complex systems are, most of the time, more difficult to maintain. I guess that this kind of solution (hybrid) are mainly focusing restricted spaces (I wonder what is the cost difference between both solutions)

I was also wondering what type of liquid coolant is used. For me, it cannot be something which freeze at 0C

If you want to DIY, you can make a pool heater out of black plastic irrigation pipe and a pump. I built a small heater with 2 temperature probes, one in water tank, the other in the heater pipe, so the pump would only pump when the tank needed heat and the pipe had water hot enough to make it worth pumping. So the pump cycles but stops when the cooler water hits the exit port of the black pipe length.

The house is currently heat by a gas boiler (that I wish to replace) at the first level and electric convectors on the second level.

Welcome aboard @RomainDGrey -- What kind of gas is your boiler using? Is this a direct connection to a public utility? I ask because we use propane on our property and have our own residential tank. At any given time, we have 4-8 months of supply at "normal" usage. This seems like great security to us, not being dependent on the utility.

Thank you @dcGuide :)

Yes, there is a tank (rented) filled at 60% with propane. I am afraid that, the refill will cost a lot at the end of the year.

Back