diy solar

diy solar

Clueless newbie wants to build 80kwh system with utility only as a backup

hertfordnc

I've read a lot, watched a lot of videos and done a lot of math and this is where i put it all together and you tell me the fatal flaws, or you tell me I'm an idiot. It;s OK, i can handle it.

My current average daily load is 60kwh, I just got one EV (bolt) and i plan to get another. charging two EVs for our usage brings it up to 80 kwh (i used miles/3.5)

I know, the normal thing is to build a system that does some of the work and sell the excess back to the grid but my state allows the utility to buy it back for .03/kwh and resell it for .12/kwh and i think it will only get worse.

I figure the only way to save any money is to make almost all the power myself and just use the grid as a backup.

Theoretically, i think that would take 60 panels in the 300 watt range and the 30 kwh server battery from Signature Solar

Of course there is a lot of room to shrink that 80Kwh/day number- we use an electric stove that's going to be converted to gas. The heat pump could be more efficient. Other things could be tightened up a lot. But for now we're a busy family, we cook a lot and never give a though to energy conservation.

Yes, i understand that matching the system to my average daily usage will leave a lot of gaps on cloudy winter days.

My thinking is that the utility powers a battery charger and the battery powers the house, Then if that fails, a transfer switch puts the whole house back on the grid.

So how far am i from reality?

Not that far really, you can do it. I started from 0 to build a 16,43 kw three phase solar system that produces 60kwh daily on average.
Your case is very similar to mine. For a grid tied system i would had to put 6-7 kwh into the grid to get 1 back, so i did an offgrid one with grid power backup when batteries run out. I have 30kwh in batteries now, soon to be 60kwh.
myhouse.jpg

Not that far really, you can do it. I started from 0 to build a 16,43 kw three phase solar system that produces 60kwh daily on average.
Your case is very similar to mine. For a grid tied system i would had to put 6-7 kwh into the grid to get 1 back, so i did an offgrid one with grid power backup when batteries run out. I have 30kwh in batteries now, soon to be 60kwh.
View attachment 166130
Awesome. thanks. Now we talk about cost. $Can it be done for $25K if i do all the work? Thinking i'd go with a lot of salvaged panel to make up for my lack of southern exposure- i'm at 225 deg and 135 deg Apprently that costs about 15% of rated capacity.

I did all the work and mine costs exactly 25k euro, but i have good exposure south-southeast. I mounted them with 60 degrees inclination for better winter performance. My inverters are 3 x Voltronic max axpert 8kw. 3 x jakiper batteries 5kwh and 1 diy 15kwh battery.
You can start with one of those online calculators to see what amount of power you can expect depending on what panels, situation and exposure.

Back