diy solar

diy solar

Solar as a hobby ROI.

I am retired, living in a fixed income so solar and batteries have helped my keep my energy costs down. There is also intellectual stimulation from learning and sharing that knowledge with others on forums like this. I built my first Heathkit 63 years ago and this is a nice way to continue that hobby.
One of those Heathkits was a Short Wave Receiver with vacuum tubes so I have also seen technology advance during those 63 years. If the conditions in the Ionesphere were favorable, I could listen to people talking who were thousands of miles away. Today I am typing this on my phone while traveling in China.

I power my cabin with a system that costs about $4000 all-in, to include the generator. I believe overall the aspect of having power makes the cabin worth approximately $10k to $15k more than one without in today's market, but it will never be for sale..... so i guess my return will not be realized 😅

Id guess the same goes for anyone with permanent / functional solar attached to real estate. Its an asset for sure

I started in 2023 and am still building the system. If it works out as expected and I can utilize 80% of the annual production, I am comfortably within a 10 year payoff. It's more of a hobby than investment for sure at this point, but at $.40-.60/kwh the payoff stays pretty good even if it's not the goal.

I don't think the breakup of home electricity into an individualistic pursuit is helping our system though, it's more like the problem. The grid is necessary for societal functions and supply chains that we are inherently dependent on (unless you're a grow your own food prepper) and the less homeowners are supporting it through participatory consumption just means the more we will end up supporting it through increased cost of goods and services.
When you said 40 to 60 cents per KWH I said where the heck due you live? I pay 10 to 11 cents. Then I saw your location. My ROI is very low but yours will be higher.

I completely disagree. The grid is our greatest achievement and our society is dependent on it. If there was a demise of the grid, it would be hand in hand with the demise of civilization.

A bunch of little standalone chinese boxes do not make a more resilient or efficient system. What do you call a 20 year old power plant? Young. And a 20 year old solar system? Garbage.
Your state wants to go entirely renewable. No way that will work.

I completely disagree. The grid is our greatest achievement and our society is dependent on it. If there was a demise of the grid, it would be hand in hand with the demise of civilization.

A bunch of little standalone chinese boxes do not make a more resilient or efficient system. What do you call a 20 year old power plant? Young. And a 20 year old solar system? Garbage.
I agree with you that solar and wind is not the answer.

Going straight to the source to get those LF280s.
LOL.
My wife packed a few things to bring to friends and relatives. When we got to check in, we had to pay $400 for excess baggage charges. It was a good investment since we have not had to spend a dime in hotels in the three weeks we have been here. Her son drives a Tesla Model Y and her nephew is an Uber driver who drives a Honchi EV. It is easy to spot EVs here, since their license plates are tinted green. I also see a lot more windmills and solar panels than the last time we visited in 2019. Power is also cheap here. The way the government incentivizes EVs is there is a government waiting list to purchase vehicles. The list to purchase an EV is shorter by design.

Last edited:
I started building my system last fall. Got it up and running. I predict I could be completely off grid 5 to 6 months a year. This is not a hobby to me but a way of insuring I have power when or if our grid goes down for a long period of time. Been working on my prepper skills just in case. Plus it is very satisfying knowing that my house is powered from something I put together. My ROI is low because compared to some other locations, my electric bill is cheap. $ .10 to .11 per KWH. I have over $ 20,000 in it so there is no way I'll get my money back. If I ever did break even it will be time for new everything. Hoping down the road new technology will make this the answer to our energy needs but not holding my breath.

It's about learning, money, and independence. Electric rates here just went up, and I live in one of the most favorable locations on the planet for solar. I built out simply to see if I could do it, and what it would take to realistically be in a 2000sqft house completely off-grid. I've got ~$38K in it thus far, I could probably do it today for ~32K. Now that I have the requirements down, it's about a little polish and re-arrange, I'll likely have 50 in it when I'm done. For me it's the education and experience, not really the hobby aspect. The ROI is the bonus, but at $2-3K/yr the payback is pretty far out. OTOH, I think the savings are going to go up, probably every year for the next several years as there is a lot of upward pressure on rates everywhere.

If I decide to build something on dirt in the middle of nowhere, I will factor in an extra $50K for my solar setup, and just roll it in. A lot of people here talk about building out a $300K dream home off-grid, then start penny-pinching their solar capacity to narrowly get by. To each his or her own.

Back