diy solar

diy solar

Solar as a hobby ROI.

Oh I was just joking we might be able to get around Chinese import tarrifs with your tunnel :)
Smuggling of illegal solar panels into the country through tunnels? I suppose it would be easier than stuffed into body cavities or hid in crates of child toys. Dealers in black market solar panels would be on every street corner. Gangs would fight over turf for who gets to control the solar trade.

I say we decriminalize solar panels for those above the age of 45.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree or believe it. Hospitals, manufacturing, restaurants, apartments, and even many single family homes lack the available solar exposure to serve their energy requirements year round off grid.
Now they lack but eventually panels will get to 30 and 40 percent efficiency. They'll be cheap enough to hang vertically on fences etc and the grid will be expensive enough that everyone will build carports and and put panels on every available space.

Instead of suggesting we all stay on the grid- for the greater good- maybe the grid should quickly start figuring out how to stay viable. Eg being less expensive than pv +battery

Now they lack but eventually panels will get to 30 and 40 percent efficiency. They'll be cheap enough to hang vertically on fences etc and the grid will be expensive enough that everyone will build carports and and put panels on every available space.

Instead of suggesting we all stay on the grid- for the greater good- maybe the grid should quickly start figuring out how to stay viable. Eg being less expensive than pv +battery
I don't think getting panels to greater than 25ish % is an option. I dont remember where I read/heard that, but there would have to be some crazy technological advancement to obtain that.

I hope we can though! A 40% efficiency panel would save a crazy amount of space!!

$22,400 / 72 months = $311 savings every month?
I'm somewhat close to that figure with the tax credit and for the amount of $'s per month quite a few months out of the year but not all. You get those periods in spring/fall with no heating load and no air conditioning needed.

My shop is slightly higher for monthly billing on average year round. That system will actually cost less than the house system because I scrounged up deals on panels and mounts, battery cells have come down and I'm using JK for BMS instead of Batrium. Part of the house system was a learning experience and components had some prices inflated due to supply chain issues during/after covid.

I know my truck camper system per watt is higher than either house or shop system. First system I built, learned quite a few things along the way and even bought things I didn't use.

Hobbyist for sure.

I have lost money at this point, due to charging my battery system from the grid most of the time and then just using it incidentally for silly fun things and testing.

But when the power goes out I have my multiple Power Stations and a DIY battery system to hold me out til the storms over if I am diligent with my power usage.

Last edited:

Think of all the trees that will be cut down to help with shading. :ROFLMAO:

Solar Return On Investment (ROI) really comes down to how you define your “return” as monetary, learning experience, preparation,… Personally it’s been a mix of all these things with a bent to be self reliant.

I’ve played with solar since the 80s. My senior thesis was on a solar power load management controller that monitors power input and output in order to control load shedding, load reactivating, issue warnings, etc. Any power input could be used but flavor of the day back then was for solar power. This was all controlled off of an Intel 8bit microprocessor. First home system was with 4 Carrizo mud used solar panels, 36 12vdc 20ahr gel cell batteries, a pulse width solar controller, and a battery charger. That grew to a kilowatt solar array with VLX 53, Trace modified inverter, power monitoring, higher amperage solar controller, 8 Trojan 6v batteries, transfer switch, …. The solar bug bit me hard! That system just kept upgrading over time. Did I “need” this system? No but I wanted it and it was great to have operational when the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake hit. Power went down for over a day and we were on a mainline but I still had power thanks to my solar system. Neighbors loved us since we had lights, radio, tv, running fridge, etc. So this system ROI was like an insurance policy, Priceless! Hope you never need it but great to have when you do need it.

Another ROI point of view would be all the various micro solar systems that I’ve built for keeping batteries charged for gate openers, lights in various outbuildings, fans/widow controllers for greenhouses, keeping vehicles/trailer batteries charged, remote cabins, camera systems, etc. ROI here would be the cost to replace the dead batteries to the time to remove and keep the batteries floated elsewhere, to having no power/lights in remote outbuildings. Or it just costs too much to run grid power to where it is needed. One recent example would be I needed power for lights and an automatic door opener/closure on a chicken coop. The coop is roughly 280ft from the nearest grid power source. That electrical power run would cost over $1200 to run power boxes, breakers, outlets, PVC conduit and 8g wire out to it. Simple solution was to use a micro solar system comprised of 1 solar panel, a cheap pulse width charge controller, fusing, and a 7ahr battery. The ROI for this case would be over $1k.

So ROI is variable. Really depends on how you define it. Solar required to have power. Well having power is worth whatever you can afford to install. Solar systems can be like an insurance policy for outages. Worth every penny if actually used to why did I spend so much for something I never used. Solar for fun/knowledge/hobby really makes ROI meaningless. ROI by selling solar power back to the utilities as a private party, not a very wise investment. There are better investments with much higher ROI than being a power provider to the local utility. After all, the most money to be made in solar is on the financial side aka selling solar to servicing the debt.

Solar is a non essential, personal necessary thing for us.

We have a no grid, remote, boat access cabin. It will be decades (if ever) that we see our money back from the investment.

We used to run a genny every night for electricity. Only in the evening. Now we have electricity 24/7.

Electricity 24/7, not having to haul fuel back and forth, and NOT having a generator running at what’s supposed to be a tranquil place…….

PRICELESS!

... NOT having a generator running at what’s supposed to be a tranquil place…….

PRICELESS!
That is partly why we are trying to put a solar setup up at our family cabin.

During certain months we can drive our trucks (and I raw dog my Toyota Sequoia up and down the mountain as well) up there, and the rest of the seasons we drive our ATVs up there.
So it isn't really that huge of a concern to bring fuel up and down and honestly generators are very efficient.

Solar and batteries are great, but you really honestly can't beat how much power you can get out of 20 bucks of gasoline for the whole weekend. I know this is a solar forum, but generators are extremely convenient and way easier to set up than a whole PV setup.

That being said, from the sound standpoint and having to bring extra fuel up all the time, It is definitely more tranquil and less hassle to have a solar panels set up, once you have it all set up and working.

We don't have a whole lot going on up there (just some AC and DC lights, small pump for water, radio, fan, coffee maker and small microwave), But I have a feeling everyone else is going to love the convenience of just being able to flip a switch whenever you want and we will likely get solar fever and want to add more and more up there.

It's going to take a long time to make any money back on what we would put into the system, if ever.

Hobby, as if I needed another one, but here I am living it, lol.
I am an electrician by trade and always wanted to be fully off the grid, I have no wires to my house, none.
Self sufficient, electric everything but fuel for genny. Electric cars also, so no every few days gas station stops.
When I retire, one less monthly bill to pay.
I have all the tools to do this all myself with labor help from my daughter.
ROI, don't care.

That is partly why we are trying to put a solar setup up at our family cabin.

During certain months we can drive our trucks (and I raw dog my Toyota Sequoia up and down the mountain as well) up there, and the rest of the seasons we drive our ATVs up there.
So it isn't really that huge of a concern to bring fuel up and down and honestly generators are very efficient.

Solar and batteries are great, but you really honestly can't beat how much power you can get out of 20 bucks of gasoline for the whole weekend. I know this is a solar forum, but generators are extremely convenient and way easier to set up than a whole PV setup.

That being said, from the sound standpoint and having to bring extra fuel up all the time, It is definitely more tranquil and less hassle to have a solar panels set up, once you have it all set up and working.

We don't have a whole lot going on up there (just some AC and DC lights, small pump for water, radio, fan, coffee maker and small microwave), But I have a feeling everyone else is going to love the convenience of just being able to flip a switch whenever you want and we will likely get solar fever and want to add more and more up there.

It's going to take a long time to make any money back on what we would put into the system, if ever.

I agree 20 bucks of fuel provides a lot of power. We still use the genny as a backup, and also for power hungry tools, etc.

We have to drag our stuff 100ft downhill, walk to.get our boat, load the boat, then up 100 ft to the cabin. The less stuff we have to carry the better.

And the quiet is nice, and while I’m not a climate alarmist, I do try and be a good steward to the planet when I can.

Also factor in oil changes, air filter cleaning that is needed less, or not at all.

It is a hobby for me.

But it's more about freedom. The power I produce is mine, nobody else's.

It's like drilling an oil well in the back yard, then realizing....it doesn't cost much more to drill three more. It's addictive for sure.

Hobby for me but spending is increasing exponentially. Helps that wife is a prepper at heart and is all for telling power co to go f themselves or at least save on the bill.
I think your wife must be my wife's spirit animal :LOL:

Back