diy solar

diy solar

Newpowa opinion

tchendrix

What’s your opinion on Newpowa? Are they good quality and reliable? Would you recommend something else for panels?

Do these output 1440W per hour or per day?

Watts is a measure of instantaneous Electrical Power. The formula is Amps x Volts = Watts.
Watt minutes or Watt hours is a measure of Electrical Energy.

The 360W rating of the individudal panels you asked about is the electrical power rating of the panels under Standard Test Conditions in a laboratory setting. Its kind of like an EPA fuel economy number on a vehicle. The actual output a user would obtain is dependent on orientation towards the sun, tilt angle, temperature, number of seasonal daylight hours, shade, how often the panels are cleaned Etc.

1440W worth of panel will give you 1440W x 5hr. = 7200Whr per day based on an average of five hours of direct sunlight per day.
You can learn more here:

1440W worth of panel will give you 1440W x 5hr. = 7200Whr per day based on an average of five hours of direct sunlight per day.
You can learn more here:
Thanks. I was thinking it was an hourly measurement. I’m planning a 13.4kwh battery bank so would you get 1 or two? Daily draw is probably 7kwh for what I’m powering but I kind of like the idea of enough pv to recharge fully if needed. What’s your opinion!

I think you would benefit significantly from more panels, unless you don't mind charging your batteries from another source like a generator or utility power if you have an a couple gloomy days.

If you live in a very sunny area, where the sun shines brightly without a cloud in the sky all day long, feel free to ignore this.

Thanks. I was thinking it was an hourly measurement. I’m planning a 13.4kwh battery bank so would you get 1 or two? Daily draw is probably 7kwh for what I’m powering but I kind of like the idea of enough pv to recharge fully if needed. What’s your opinion!
Since in real world you will never get the Wattage from the panels as the math shows, more likely you will get 80% of that so I would go with more panels based on worst condition on certain months of the year.
Since you will be using inverter to convert DC to AC, it will have conversion loss, most inverter has efficiency of about 85% that you need to factor that in, I.E. you are pulling 1kW on the AC output side of the inverter, the power draws from the battery will be about 1000W/0.85 = 1176W of power, you will use that calculate estimate run time of your battery bank, so having 1kWh battery and with 1kW of AC load on the inverter, you will not get 1 hour of run time, and BTW you do not really want to draw down the battery to zero any way.
When your batteries is drawn down during the night, you will need to have solar that can supply enough power to the load and charging battery at the same time, I.E. during the day time you consume 1000W every hour for 5 hours = 5kWh for your loads, and you will have about 2.2kWhr (disregard the loss for easy math) to put back into your batteries, so if the batteries are low you may never fully charge your batteries in one day unless you cut down on the load to allow the batteries to be charged back up to full again, you should look to see how much power you are drawing the day and at night so you figure how much power you have left for the next day that you need to put back into the battery, you can also get monitoring system that you can easily see the readout.
You have to excuse my writing since it is my second language, I hope you understand what I try to explain, may be some can do better, sorry.

I've got a pair of Newpowa 60W 24V panels on my sailboat's dodger. They work pretty well, at least over the past 3 months that they've been installed.

Back