diy solar

diy solar

No battery DC water pump system setup?

DannyG

Hello everyone, thank you in advance for your help.

I want to create a DC solar water pump setup but need help matching the components. I want to pump water from a stream to a storage tank about 10 meters higher. I know that it will only be able to pump for the four or five sunniest hours in the middle of the day. That is good enough. I will attach a picture of the 24v charge controller box I am looking to buy. The pump I am looking at is 24v 330w DC. From my understanding, the startup of the pump needs more than the 330w and solar panels don't put out the maximum rating except under ideal conditions. So I was thinking about getting a 500w panel. The store I am going to buy the charge controller said I should buy 350-400w panel but I am concerned it won't be enough. The 500w panel is rated 48v. The other two components are rated 24v. I just want to make sure that I match everything up correctly. Any advice or education is much appreciated.

Screenshot_2024-03-19-09-17-18-24.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-14-11-03-12-19.jpg

You can wire several panels in parallel (two 350 = 700). You just need to make sure the PV array output VOC does not exceed the charge controller PV input and also that the charge controller output can handle the power draw from the pump. Several panels in parallel will also enable the pump to run during partly cloudy days or under less than ideal conditions.
Without knowing the charge controller min or max VOC specs and not knowing the output voltage/watts I can only generalize my suggestions. For example, can the charge controller handle the 49.90 VOC and is there some room in the spec for a higher voltage. Can the charge controller handle an input current of up to 25 amps.
There are "solar pump controllers" which you can also consider.

The charge controller is rated 24v as far as I know, maybe 35-40v maximum in the description. The seller replied that the controller can handle the pump.

Would (2) 200w, making 400w panels be enough for the pump initial startup?

Last edited:
You can wire several panels in parallel (two 350 = 700). You just need to make sure the PV array output VOC does not exceed the charge controller PV input and also that the charge controller output can handle the power draw from the pump. Several panels in parallel will also enable the pump to run during partly cloudy days or under less than ideal conditions.
Without knowing the charge controller min or max VOC specs and not knowing the output voltage/watts I can only generalize my suggestions. For example, can the charge controller handle the 49.90 VOC and is there some room in the spec for a higher voltage. Can the charge controller handle an input current of up to 25 amps.
There are "solar pump controllers" which you can also cons
Hello everyone, thank you in advance for your help.

I want to create a DC solar water pump setup but need help matching the components. I want to pump water from a stream to a storage tank about 10 meters higher. I know that it will only be able to pump for the four or five sunniest hours in the middle of the day. That is good enough. I will attach a picture of the 24v charge controller box I am looking to buy. The pump I am looking at is 24v 330w DC. From my understanding, the startup of the pump needs more than the 330w and solar panels don't put out the maximum rating except under ideal conditions. So I was thinking about getting a 500w panel. The store I am going to buy the charge controller said I should buy 350-400w panel but I am concerned it won't be enough. The 500w panel is rated 48v. The other two components are rated 24v. I just want to make sure that I match everything up correctly. Any advice or education is much appreciated.

View attachment 202960View attachment 202961

Sorry about the empty reply, I made a mistake.

I found another charge controller that I think fits my needs. I will attach pictures. Starting with the controller, can someone recommend solar panels size and confirm the 24v 330w pump is compatible. The description says submersible pump, mine is centrifugal, does that make a difference?

Thanks in advance 🙂
Screenshot_2024-03-20-09-47-17-12.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-20-09-47-32-28.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-20-09-57-16-05.jpg

Centrifugal pump vs positive displacement pump (piston pump with reed valves).

Centrifugal pump has lower startup surge
Someone else will need to wade through the power requirements

Back