diy solar

diy solar

No inverter/charger but need shore power

lifeontheroad

Right now we live off grid in a 5th wheel RV and I'm getting a small inverter (2000w). Thing is it doesn't have an AC input.

I was wondering would my converter charge my batteries if I go converter>dc-dc 40a charger>batteries? Mostly just to charge and run some lights and 12v items.
It puts out 13.6 volts. And is about 20 years old.
Converter is made by parallax and is the 55a version.
This was the only question I couldn't find complete answers for. If not that how could I get shore power without having to wait to get a inverter charger?

Converter is made by parallax and is the 55a version.

I looked up your device and it's a converter/charger. So you don't need anything new or extra. The 55A gave it away. I don't own one of these so I can't confirm it's exact function, but to my limited understanding this is how they work:

When you plug into shore power, the converter/charger will automatically switch all the house 120v outlets to be powered by shore power, 12v devices will by powered by the converter and the rest of the 55A will go into charging your battery.

From the Amazon listing:

• Shore Service with three current stage converter/charger and Automatic Transfer Switch
  • Manufactured to operate on 120VAC 15 Amp branch circuits leaving plenty of power for running other 120VAC devices
  • Durable steel enclosure and has an 11 position fuse block with blown fuse indicators
  • Upgradeable to TempAssure technology by installing the Parallax 4400TAU module
  • 30 Amp Shore Service; 55 Amp Converter/Charger

I just wanna make sure cause I plan on switching from FLA to lithium and don't want difficult charging from this old converter dc

I just wanna make sure cause I plan on switching from FLA to lithium and don't want difficult charging from this old converter dc
Yeah I can't tell from the Amazon description or from the Parallax website of the model listing. I don't see a user manual listed. I would contact the company and ask them if it's lithium capable. My limited understanding is that many of these converter/charger units installed in RV's is they can be used to charge lithium as long as they DON'T have an equalize function OR you can program the charge settings to work for lithium. Equalizing is used only for lead acid batteries and can damage a lithium battery, so you would want to find out if this model has that feature and if so, how to turn it off or turn the voltage down to be 14.6v or lower when it goes into equalize mode.

Also I think that's the replacement for the one I have... Do all converters have 3 stage charging? I've always seen mine stay at the same voltage.
From looking on their website, the difference between the 8355 and 8355A is the "A" model has an automatic transfer switch. So maybe the non-A one has a manual switch? Sorry I don't know. I would call the company and tell them what model you have and what you hope it will do for you. Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Back