diy solar

diy solar

'Non Growatt' Eastron SDM230 Modbus V2 with Growatt SPH3600

Hi, does anyone know if the Eastron SDM230 Modbus V2 bought from the likes of Amazon (from this thread:-https://diysolarforum.com/threads/growatt-sph-and-power-import-control-from-grid.39897/) will still work with the Growatt SPH series (with the address change to 002 if required) or as stated by another forum member do you have to get Growatt's own version to ensure it works?

I can see a lot of members have bought the aftermarket version and it works but has something changed recently:-

Quote "I had a reply from Growatt support. If you don't buy the smart meter at Growatt, it will not work because Growatt re-write the smart meter registers.
FYI: Growatt smart meters are now CHNT, it looks like they don't use Eastron anymore. Anyway, if you want a smart meter that works with the Growatt inverter, it NEEDS to be in a Growatt karton box. (if not in a Growatt box, it will not work)" or is this Growatt trying to make you buy their own?

Hi, did Growatt support mention they don't use Eastron anymore, or was that the impression you got?

Hi, did Growatt support mention they don't use Eastron anymore, or was that the impression you got?
The quote in my post "I had a reply from Growatt.........." came from another user on a different thread in this forum - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/is-eastron-smart-meter-always-working-with-growatt-inverter.48827/. I have not contacted Growatt myself but tried to get the meter through my installer but gave up and bought the aftermarket one from Amazon which works fine with the modbus address change.

The quote in my post "I had a reply from Growatt.........." came from another user on a different thread in this forum - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/is-eastron-smart-meter-always-working-with-growatt-inverter.48827/. I have not contacted Growatt myself but tried to get the meter through my installer but gave up and bought the aftermarket one from Amazon which works fine with the modbus address change.
I was also about to point this out... Maybe all Growatt do is change the address?

Anyway, with a bit of luck my Isolator will be fitted tomorrow (just after the main fuse/cutout) and I will be able to connect up my Eastron SDM230 (bought from eBay) and see if I can get that working. A couple of months ago I tested it, powered it up and connected it to my SPH5000 and the 'phone' icon appeared on the meter, indicating some sort of communication...

Hi, I've installed non Growatt SDM230 Modbus v1. Connected to pins 1 and 5 on RJ45 meter/485-1 socket. Inverter was getting crazy on address 001, jumping from -200W to +400W to the grid. Changed address to 002 and it looks like it's working.
Discrepancies decreased from 100W to 40W. Really often I can see discrepancies up to 10W where this never happen on CT clip.

I hope this might be useful for someone.

SDM 230 V2 progress... I had my isolator installed by Octopus at the end of March, and I installed my SDM 230 in the middle of April. No setup really needed - default baud rate of 9k6 and address of 1 worked with my SPH5000. When I was switching the SPH5000 over from the CT to the SDM 230, I did see that the address could be changed but my SDM5000 was on 1 anyway, so the Eastron worked from the start.

As I have said earlier, with the CT I was leaking 50 to 100w in from the grid continuously, but that all changed with the Eastron - watching the meter I could see varying from 20 to 30 w export to the same import, but most of the time a small (few watts) export - and the same was shown on the in-home display. Bottom line - my power leak in from the grid dropped by a factor of 10. On a decent sunny day (and we've had a few in May in the UK so far, my usage from the grid is around 0.05 to 0.2 kWh in a day.

So I can strongly recommend the Eastron, and of course also Octopus Energy, who fitted my isolator free of charge and also provide the 'Intelligent Octopus' tariff that I'm on (with 6 hours at 7.5p/kWh overnight)...

Doh!

If it is any help I am really impressed with the meter and the way it allows the inverter to control the import/export much more accurately. Mine now sits around 0 to -10W which although I am exporting from the batteries at times it is only a tiny amount at 7.5p/KWh (or free from solar) as opposed to an original import of around 50 -100W continually which works out at least 1KWh/day at 40.13p/KWh which soon adds up and has easily paid for the meter!
As you will see, this is exactly the same result as I've got!

My fitted Eastron SDM230 is either reading wrong, or it's my Smart Meter. Replacing the CT clamp with the meter did almost nothing to reduce the 150W I was leaking.

I can watch both meters and they are consistently ~150w different.

Any advice?

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am hoping someone can help me, I have a Eastron SDM230 installed and ready to connect to my Growatt SPH5000 but I can't find anything that tells me what cable I need to make to connect it to the Inverter. The Growatt manual suggests that the meter input goes in the same socket that is currently ocupied by the CT clamp but I can't find anything about wiring it. Can anyone help?

TIA

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am hoping someone can help me, I have a Eastron SDM230 installed and ready to connect to my Growatt SPH5000 but I can't find anything that tells me what cable I need to make to connect it to the Inverter. The Growatt manual suggests that the meter input goes in the same socket that is currently occupied by the CT clamp but I can't find anything about wiring it. Can anyone help?

TIA
a) The socket is marked CT1/METER1 on my SPH5000.
b) The current Growatt manual on the ginverter site has up to date instructions.
c) The second picture shows my ethernet cable connections... (disclaimer ... yours just may be different!). I just used cat5e cable but maybe screened cat5e is better - having said that, my Eastron works fine... The pins 1 and 5 refer to the rj45 into the SPH5000.

IMG_20221120_123715-01.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_123356_701.png
    IMG_20230710_123356_701.png
    727.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20230710_123429_860.png
    IMG_20230710_123429_860.png
    625.3 KB · Views: 29
a) The socket is marked CT1/METER1 on my SPH5000.
b) The current Growatt manual on the ginverter site has up to date instructions.
c) The second picture shows my ethernet cable connections... (disclaimer ... yours just may be different!). I just used cat5e cable but maybe screened cat5e is better - having said that, my Eastron works fine... The pins 1 and 5 refer to the rj45 into the SPH5000.
Thanks Radiomean that's great I have not been able to find this info anywhere else. I will try and get mine done it in the morning.

Good luck... It works for me, but I hope it's right for you! Are you in the UK?
Yes I am in the UK, my GPH5000 sockets are different to yours, so I will have play around a bit to find the right one, mine does have one marked 'Meter' which sounds promising. I think i also have to change port number somewhere in the Eastron configuration, did you have to do that?.

Yes I am in the UK, my GPH5000 sockets are different to yours, so I will have play around a bit to find the right one, mine does have one marked 'Meter' which sounds promising. I think i also have to change port number somewhere in the Eastron configuration, did you have to do that?.
On the inverter you can set the RS485 port number and also baud rate. The Eastron port should (obviously) be the same - but in my case both were already #1 and 9600 baud, and worked out of the box. Good luck.

Has anyone got a few pics of where you installed your Eastron. I thought you had to cut into the tails but my electrician says you don't need to do that. He will wire it up for me but just want to make sure it's doing the best measuring possible

Has anyone got a few pics of where you installed your Eastron. I thought you had to cut into the tails but my electrician says you don't need to do that. He will wire it up for me but just want to make sure it's doing the best measuring possible
It depends which Eastron you have. Some are in-line which will require a sparky in, others just use a CT clamp. The one I have is an SDM120CT which uses a CT clamp. I am guessing the 'CT' in the model name is significant.

Ah yes I am moving away from the CT on my growatt inverter to see if I can improve accuracy as I have constant grid draw when I went it to be on battery. I bought the Eastron sdm230 V2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electricit...6&psc=1&mcid=40a9c97d74823845a5d2b825850e69d4

Spark said you do not need to cut into tails but I would have thought you would unless can a live and neutral be taken off say the Henley blocks and it just measures what is passing by, rather than through the meter.

new spark coming in on 4th Jan to install inline. So for SDM230 Modbus Min V2 I will need to set Baud rate at 9600 and Com either 1 or 2 depending on the inverter.

From reading on the Eastron SDM230 I use terminal 5 (A in modbus mode) and terminal 6 (B in modbus mode) and
on my SPH6000 use terminal L which I hope is labelled meter

and within that the RJ45 connector it would appear pin 1 for eastron terminal 6 (b) and pin 2 for eastron terminal 5 (A).

BUT - I have also just read above you can try pin 4 for eastron 6(b) and pin 5 for eastron terminal 5(a).

Can anyone confirm their setup on an SPH6000 single phase and the SDM230?

diy solar

diy solar
Back