diy solar

diy solar

Noob needs help with wire sizes.

bpoil

First of all Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays everyone! Hope you are all doing well and in good health.

With that out the way I am a little confused about my optimum wire sizes. I'm making a nice van to live down by the river and installing a small setup. I read Will's book on Kindle and just ordered it in paper form, but I'm still confused. Mainly the Peak Watts and fuse sizes needed. Here are my parts. Nothing has been installed yet.

1. Richsolar 2pcs 100 Watt Polycrystalline 100W 12V Solar Panel High Efficiency Poly Module RV Marine Boat Off Grid (2pcs)
  2. EPEVER MPPT Charge Controller 40A 12V / 24V Auto, Solar Charge Controller 150V PV Negative Grounded Solar Regulator for Gel Sealed Flooded Battery(Tracer 4215BN)
  3. InstallGear 0/2/4 Gauge Ga ANL Fuse Holder + 300 Amp ANL Fuses (2 Pack)
  4. ANJOSHI Circuit Breaker 50amp 50A-300A with Manual Reset Home Solar System Fuse Holder for Car Audio and Amps Protection 12V-24V DC Reset Fuse Inverter Replace Fuse
  5. MICTUNING DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Digital Display Ammeter Voltmeter Multimeter Volt Watt Power Energy Meter Blue with 100A 75mV Shunt
  6. Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery - 100Ah 12v with Built-in BMS - 3000-5000 Deep Cycle Rechargeable Battery - Perfect for RV/Camper, Marine, Overland/Van, and Off Grid Applications
  7. SUNGOLDPOWER 2000W Peak 6000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter DC 12V AC 120V With Battery AC Charger Solar Wind Power Inverters LCD Display Low Frequency Solar Converter

So I got a 40A MPPT because I plan on dropping another battery in and the 40A was just a little more than the smaller MPPT. I am going to get a second Battle Born once I get some more cash. I have the premade wires that Will recommends for the panels, and all of the fuse blocks and other interconnects he recommends.

My main questions are:

• What wire should I use from my battery to the inverter? I figured #4/O is enough, but want to double check.
  • Is a 300A fuse to high between my battery and inverter? The peak watts are throwing me off. 6000w/12v = 500A. That seemed way too high. 300A seems way too high. But the chart linked by Will says a 2400w continuos needs 400a fuse, a 250 a curcuit breaker, and #4/O wire. Thus confusion.
  • The MPPT wire also confuses me. Will uses a #6awg in his beginners video. Is 50A the rating the wire needs? Just double checking.
  • Last but most importantly, what else should I add? I didn't link all my parts, but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. I'm really digging learning about solar power.

Also, what program does everyone use to make the wire diagrams they post here? I'd like to make one to get advice.

Also, what program does everyone use to make the wire diagrams they post here? I'd like to make one to get advice.
Welcome to the forum! There's a whole thread for that containing a lot of good suggestions:

Thanks for linking that thread. Many good programs there. I was hoping there was a gold standard to make the choice easy. Lol.

Back