diy solar

diy solar

Noob question: 12V 100aH batts in series?

My microwave has 2 different wattage numbers. The cooking power is 1000 watts, the total power used is 1600 watts. The electronics, fan, light and turntable apparently use the additional 600 watts. Food for thought, so to speak. ;)

My suggestion is to build a 12v system and avoid any product from Renogy. Around 500 watts of solar will be more than enough for your system. It you use a MPPT controller it acts as a power converter so you can use any type of panel.

When you connect lithium batteries is series the BMS each battery must have semiconductors in the design that will operate safely at the system voltage. If one of the BMS were to shut down the charge path the full 24 volts from the chargers would be developed across the BMS. Renogy used semiconductors with a low voltage withstand, ( to reduce costs).
Unlike most drop in batteries Renogy use multiple pouch cells.

Mike

My suggestion is to build a 12v system and avoid any product from Renogy. Around 500 watts of solar will be more than enough for your system. It you use a MPPT controller it acts as a power converter so you can use any type of panel.

When you connect lithium batteries is series the BMS each battery must have semiconductors in the design that will operate safely at the system voltage. If one of the BMS were to shut down the charge path the full 24 volts from the chargers would be developed across the BMS. Renogy used semiconductors with a low voltage withstand, ( to reduce costs).
Unlike most drop in batteries Renogy use multiple pouch cells.

Mike
I don't seem to want to let this one go.

Thinking back to the BMS argument, if I wanted to use 2 of these in series for a 24V load (and I don't care if it turns off when one battery his low voltage), but CHARGE them as 2 separate 12V circuits.....

Think multi-bank charger on a boat - charges each 12V individually, while 2 banks are series'd for a 24V trolling motor.

The cost difference between a 12 volt semi conductor and a 24 volt one is pennies.... that is not the reason they were designed that way!! They are designed to be a 12 volt battery BMS only.

I don't seem to want to let this one go.

Thinking back to the BMS argument, if I wanted to use 2 of these in series for a 24V load (and I don't care if it turns off when one battery his low voltage), but CHARGE them as 2 separate 12V circuits.....

Think multi-bank charger on a boat - charges each 12V individually, while 2 banks are series'd for a 24V trolling motor.
Please set up 2 video cameras & share the results with us. :LOL:

Back