diy solar

diy solar

Am I screwed? (12v lifepo4 in series)

localboast

I made the mistake early last year of not forward thinking on scaling my storage. I bought 2 chinese batteries (Himassi 12v 200ah 100a low temp bluetooth) batteries from amazon, strung them into series for 24v, along with the a 24v SCC and 24v pure sine inverter. The batteries have been great, but they no longer make them/have them in stock.

Well here I am now, wanting to move to 48v, and I know that mixing BMS in series is a no-go. So I'm trying to find the same batteries (same AH & BMS) in a different brand. If I can't find these, what are my options? So far it sounds like start all over again and eat the cost of these two batteries, or drop to 12v (which will limit my wattage output) but i can safely increase the storage in parallel. Dropping to 12v really isn't an option for me with only 1200ish watts.

Recommendations?

Finding the exact same BMS is going to be a nightmare, but if your batteries are good for 2s, then you would likely be perfectly fine getting comparable size/spec batteries and make more 2s packs out of them.

The other option would be to pop the tops and harvest the cells, and make bigger individual 24v or 48v units out of the guts. The price of batteries nowadays is right on par with the cost of the cells, if not a little cheaper at times. About the biggest issue there is making sure if your old batteries are 100Ah prismatic boxes, that you don't get new batteries with pouches. That would be the most FUN option by far, and you get to cherry pick the BMS that fits your needs rather than hoping the ones that come with do what you want to do.

Thanks for the response, lucky me they had 2 left in used stock so I snatched em at a discount. Did some digging and it seems these batteries use VIP BMS with Bluetooth (and low temp protection). If anyone sees this in the future and knows anything about these BMS, please reply and dump whatever information you know; hard to find anything online.

Back