diy solar

diy solar

Not All CNN Fuses Are Acceptable For a 48 volt System!

HRTKD

Boondocker
Staff member
In the process of designing a 48 volt system and identifying all the parts and supplies that need to be purchased I found that I had to be very specific about what class(*) of CNN fuse I use. Not all of them are rated for a 48 volt system. Welcome to my rabbit hole. :)

The Victron Lynx Shunt requires a CNN fuse, which is not provided by Victron. Try to find a CNN fuse on the Victron website and you'll come up up empty.

Signature Solar, Current Connected and Solar Supply House sell a 325 amp/80 volt CNN fuse. Signature Solar and Solar Supply House make it sound like the fuse they are selling is a Victron item. "Victron Fuse CNN 325A/80V for Victron Lynx Shunt" and "Victron 325A/80V CNN Fuse f/Lynx Shunt", respectively. I'm not convinced that it is an actual Victron product, and (in my opinion) it shouldn't be represented that way. Current Connected is honest about what they're selling and titles it as a "CNN Fuse for Victron Lynx Shunt". Current Connected is also selling different amperage ratings of the CNN fuse, which is nice for us consumers that don't blindly buy whatever is being listed. 325 amps is much higher than I needed.

According to the Littelfuse datasheet there are two different classes of CNN fuses: CNN and CNN_E. The CNN class is rated up to 48 volts. To be clear, this rating is NOT acceptable for a 48 volt system which spends most of it's life well above 48.0 volts. The CNN_E class is rated to 80 volts. While none of the three vendors used as examples in the paragraph above provide enough detail, it's safe to day that they are selling the CNN_E class since they do specify the 80 volt rating in their webpages.

Not to deter anyone from purchasing from Current Connected but I needed a few other fuse types and Current Connected didn't have the amperage ratings that I wanted. I purchased CNN (class E, of course) and Class T fuses from Mouser.com for a 175 amp rating. Mouser does a very nice job of providing a full set of specifications either right there on the product page or in a datasheet linked from that product page. I knew exactly what I was buying with all that information available. The (minor) downside of Mouser is that I ended up paying shipping. The full set of Victron components on my purchase list are more than enough to qualify me for free shipping on most sites.

I contacted Current Connected for a CNN datasheet, which they didn't have. However, they did confirm that the CNN fuse they're selling is actually rated to 80 volts.

* - I use the word "class" to differentiate the two voltage ratings for the CNN fuses. That wording is my own. Nobody else calls out the voltage ratings as different "classes".

Last edited:
Not to derail this. Have you tried to find a 48 voltage nominal disconnect switch? I was told Blue sea has them but none I find shows greater than 48 volts.

Thanks for the fuse information. It's always in the details!

diy solar

diy solar
Back