diy solar

diy solar

NYC Solar Code is so restrictive and blows badly. Are they kidding me? Just one panel in the front yard and you need permits!

mikeinnyc

NYC Solar Code FMA

(15) Accessory power systems, including, but not limited to, generators, solar energy systems, fuel cells, batteries and other energy storage systems, provided that:

(i) all equipment shall be subject to the following location, enclosure, and screening requirements, as applicable:

(a) all generators and cogeneration equipment accessory to buildings other than single- or two-family residences shall be completely enclosed within a building or other structure, except as necessary for mechanical ventilation;

(b) all other types of equipment, including generators and cogeneration equipment serving single- or two-family residences, may be unenclosed, provided that such equipment is located at least five feet from any lot line. However, if the area bounding all such equipment, as drawn by a rectangle from its outermost perimeter in plan view, exceeds 25 square feet, such equipment shall be screened in its entirety on all sides. Such screening may be opaque or perforated, provided that where perforated materials are provided, not more than 50 percent of the face is open;

(c) where any equipment is located in a front yard, the entire width of such portion of such equipment facing a street, whether open or enclosed, shall be fully screened by vegetation; and

(ii) the size of all equipment, including any screening or portions of any building or other structure enclosing such equipment, shall not exceed:

(a) an area equivalent to 25 percent of a required yard, or rear yard equivalent, and in addition, in front yards, is limited to an area not exceeding 25 square feet. However, for corner lots, one front yard may be treated as a side yard for the purpose of applying such size restrictions;

This is a Joke. That's ONE PANEL LIMIT 3 x 5 or 15 sq feet I have a south-facing front of my house with the front yard and the rear of the house is fubar covered in shade and high taxes. NYC wants a PERMIT for ONE PANEL in the front yard. No wonder why all my rich neighbors left for Texas, Tennessee, and Florida.

I feel like I have no shot of even doing anything solar. I always follow the rules and regulations but this time I'm Pissed off.

I'll find a way... at best Im getting a 4kwh system. I'm stuck here for now but I'm planning my escape from the country of NYC.

I would like to put this on my detached garage roof. I can fit 18 panels minus the fire code. I'm hoping this can be done because I have 25% of my backyard to use with no code problems except I have no sunlight. maybe a few hours a day before my house shades my backyard. At least my garage is east - west facing so that could work as well. Hoping for more clarification but honestly, I'm not liking this approach.

Here's more code like I need more coding.

Solar Energy Applicability of Code

So I finally spoke with NYC and oh my... They don't even know what specific dept is in charge. Either the Fire Dept or the building dept, or EPA or all.

They did say that we can use solar using a "non-permanent attached solution." Not attached to any PERMANENT structure It was almost like they encouraged this other option like they knew something. So I will be doing a non-permanent solution. maybe wheel out my panels in the front yard and rear yard. They will not be attached to my house. That's my public-facing statement.

Well stay safe with a temp install. GFCI doesn’t work as well on solar circuits (DC or AC) as you might expect so you want to be careful with a temp installation… On DC often the circuits are still energized after a fault, and on AC you can’t use a regular GFCI breaker or receptacle since there’s a power source on both sides and code explicitly says you cannot use a GFCI in backfeed like that unless it is listed for it.

Maybe try asking for copy of approved plans on Nextdoor for your neighborhood. I’ve responded to such requests & met people in person to show the plans of what’s been approved.

Well stay safe with a temp install. GFCI doesn’t work as well on solar circuits (DC or AC) as you might expect so you want to be careful with a temp installation… On DC often the circuits are still energized after a fault, and on AC you can’t use a regular GFCI breaker or receptacle since there’s a power source on both sides and code explicitly says you cannot use a GFCI in backfeed like that unless it is listed for it.

Maybe try asking for copy of approved plans on Nextdoor for your neighborhood. I’ve responded to such requests & met people in person to show the plans of what’s been approved.
That's a good idea but I know for certain now that I don't make a good residential Roof solar candidate with my home. It sucks but If I could use my detached garage that would be really great at a fully useable 20' x 20' non-occupied space. My main goal is to at least power my servers which have an APC in front of my equipment. I had an advertised tv Solar come out and basically quote me 60kmin to 100k. I do need a new roof but they couldn't guarantee that my bill would even be half. For 100k that will be my downpayment on another home in a different state.

I saw Will's backyard scattered panels on the floor only feeding a tesla and I thought why not? I also saw this video Solar Power WITHOUT Permits! I looked at the code again and I found that he was right. BESS is not prescribed in the NYC Construction Codes, NYC Electrical Code, NYC Fire Code. Why would you install these batteries inside a house I really would not. I would never back-feed into the grid or an electrical outlet. That's so sketchy it's not funny but I'm sure this stuff happens.

NYC Electrical Code - the entire system must be listed (UL, or other recognized label) I'm sure these foreign knockoffs will just print the UL labels

Last edited:
NYC Solar Code FMA

(15) Accessory power systems, including, but not limited to, generators, solar energy systems, fuel cells, batteries and other energy storage systems, provided that:

(i) all equipment shall be subject to the following location, enclosure, and screening requirements, as applicable:

(a) all generators and cogeneration equipment accessory to buildings other than single- or two-family residences shall be completely enclosed within a building or other structure, except as necessary for mechanical ventilation;

(b) all other types of equipment, including generators and cogeneration equipment serving single- or two-family residences, may be unenclosed, provided that such equipment is located at least five feet from any lot line. However, if the area bounding all such equipment, as drawn by a rectangle from its outermost perimeter in plan view, exceeds 25 square feet, such equipment shall be screened in its entirety on all sides. Such screening may be opaque or perforated, provided that where perforated materials are provided, not more than 50 percent of the face is open;

(c) where any equipment is located in a front yard, the entire width of such portion of such equipment facing a street, whether open or enclosed, shall be fully screened by vegetation; and

(ii) the size of all equipment, including any screening or portions of any building or other structure enclosing such equipment, shall not exceed:

(a) an area equivalent to 25 percent of a required yard, or rear yard equivalent, and in addition, in front yards, is limited to an area not exceeding 25 square feet. However, for corner lots, one front yard may be treated as a side yard for the purpose of applying such size restrictions;

This is a Joke. That's ONE PANEL LIMIT 3 x 5 or 15 sq feet I have a south-facing front of my house with the front yard and the rear of the house is fubar covered in shade and high taxes. NYC wants a PERMIT for ONE PANEL in the front yard. No wonder why all my rich neighbors left for Texas, Tennessee, and Florida.

I feel like I have no shot of even doing anything solar. I always follow the rules and regulations but this time I'm Pissed off.

I'll find a way... at best Im getting a 4kwh system. I'm stuck here for now but I'm planning my escape from the country of NYC.
I can’t believe anyone would choose to live under an iron fist regime like that… ….Blame the voters who keep voting for all the free stuff, no jail for nothing, and all the goofball legislators that are willing to give it to them so as to guarantee their vote .
When you rob Peter to pay Paul you can always count on Paul’s support…

UPDATE 7/28/2023

Yes Solar can be installed -NYC DETACHED GARAGES
Here's an update after speaking with an architect.
Yes we can install solar on NON LIVEABLE FULLY DETACHED GARAGES
1) The garage must be or have been permitted and have permits.
2) Fire code is N/A
3) No renters or the homeless can be living inside the garage. It must be a garage no beds etc.
Solves a big problem with House Insurance with solar above living space. Yes, that's a thing now.
2023-Solar-Guidebook.png

UPDATE 7/28/2023

Yes Solar can be installed -NYC DETACHED GARAGES
Here's an update after speaking with an architect.
Yes we can install solar on NON LIVEABLE FULLY DETACHED GARAGES
1) The garage must be or have been permitted and have permits.
2) Fire code is N/A
3) No renters or the homeless can be living inside the garage. It must be a garage no beds etc.
Solves a big problem with House Insurance with solar above living space. Yes, that's a thing now.
View attachment 159843

Great that It's allowed!, but do you still require a solar panels installation permit to proceed with installation on the non liveable fully detached legal garage?

Back