diy solar

diy solar

Off grid Garage system set up

Ktmart119

I am very new to the solar world but have recently built a 22x24 garage that I want to power with a stand alone system.
I believe, to run a three to four lights for a minimal amount of time at night, two garage door openers and one or two outlets for charging batteries, I will need a 2 panel 12v 400 watt solar system with two batteries. I know I will need the inverter, controller etc., so what I am looking for are the basic steps for installing the system to a circuit panel and if that will work.

I would build a simple hand cart like Will builds on youtube. Look for this title.

Build a Mobile 48V Solar Power System in 10 Minutes!​

When you run your circuits, just use plugs, not a panel.
The advantage of this is that it is mobile when you need it.

And whatever you first calculate as your needs, plan for more. It's amazing what one often wishes to power with solar once you get started. I would also rethink a 12V system. I built a 24V system to power some sheds two summers ago, and wish I had gone 48V.

I would build a simple hand cart like Will builds on youtube. Look for this title.

Build a Mobile 48V Solar Power System in 10 Minutes!​

When you run your circuits, just use plugs, not a panel.
The advantage of this is that it is mobile when you need it.
Great video, thank you. Where do you purchase the actual panels? The only places I am finding, only allow a minimum of 10 panels and I only need 3.
I do not want it to be mobile as the garage is never moving and I am not going to take the system with me when I sell so that is why I want to run it through a panel. Thank you for the help and information.

I'm saying don't use a circuit panel.
I meant mobile as in taking it to a friend in need.
For that few solar panels you have to go used or split an order with someone else.

When buying just a few panels, it's hard to beat Amazon. Also check with your local electrical supply, they may carry the larger wattage panels.

With the freight charges on panels, you really need a good dozen or two to justify the expense.

Great video, thank you. Where do you purchase the actual panels? The only places I am finding, only allow a minimum of 10 panels and I only need 3.
I do not want it to be mobile as the garage is never moving and I am not going to take the system with me when I sell so that is why I want to run it through a panel. Thank you for the help and information.
Maybe try the Facebook marketplace.

What batteries? If car, then you need a full size system. If the inverter batteries, what are the outlets for?
Power tool batteries, i.e. DeWalt, Makita etc.. Not a car. Outlets are for plugging in the batteries into for charging.

I'm saying don't use a circuit panel.
I meant mobile as in taking it to a friend in need.
For that few solar panels you have to go used or split an order with someone else.
Got it. Thank you. I may have some one to split an order with. Thank you again.

Back