diy solar

diy solar

Off-Grid Pool Pump Setup

pbm1204

I am looking to setup a small off-grid solar setup to power my 1HP Pool Pump. I would like to have the ability to switch between grid power and solar power if I need to run the pool pump. I am thinking 4 x 320W Renogy Panels, Renogy Rover 20AMP MPPT Converter, Renogy 2000W Inverter 12V to 120V AC and a battery for startup of the pool pump. Do I need a larger inverter or will this one work for the 1280 Watts from the panels and draw from the pool pump? Any and all input is appreciated.

1hp pool pump is likely going to have a ~1200W run power and as much as a 6000W surge.

You'll rarely see 1280W from the panels - likely closer to 950-1000W for the middle 3-4 hours of the day.

Recommend you start with the DIY checklist in my signature. It seems you haven't yet defined the needed load.

I am looking to setup a small off-grid solar setup to power my 1HP Pool Pump. I would like to have the ability to switch between grid power and solar power if I need to run the pool pump. I am thinking 4 x 320W Renogy Panels, Renogy Rover 20AMP MPPT Converter, Renogy 2000W Inverter 12V to 120V AC and a battery for startup of the pool pump. Do I need a larger inverter or will this one work for the 1280 Watts from the panels and draw from the pool pump? Any and all input is appreciated.
All In One (AIO) solutions that can blend AC grid power with available solar power might be a solution for you. When the pump starts, you will still need a large enough inverter to carry the load. But you can set an AIO up so that if solar is available it uses it and adds from the grid if/as needed. The starting load of the pump is largely dependent on both pump size and type of start system that it uses. If it is PSC (Permanent Split Capacitor type motor, you will see less startup load. But if a capacitor start type, the starting load is large, like Sunshine says.

the 1200w pump kit sold on amazon/ali/etc have a DC motor and a MPP and will do what you want... ( google: Solar Swimming Pool Pump 1200w )

That being said, the same panels, if hooked to an existing PV system, and you ran a typical 220v VS pump, it would draw 1200-1600w for a minute while priming in the morning, and 150w while running slow all day... leaving all those extra PV watts to go to the grid, your batteries, or your AC or whatever...

If you can modify it to use a dc treadmill motor you will have much success as i have seen someone do this using a 180vdc 900w motor running directly from 1.5kw of solar with no battery or inverter. It only runs when the sun is shining, but that's enough.

Back