diy solar

diy solar

Off grid security system development

HAWAII-UNPLUGGED

Hi, I'm new to the forum, please excuse any mis-steps.

After having lived off grid and remote for a number of years, and seeing many properties get robbed/cleaned out...down to the catchment tanks, I've developed a bit of necessary paranoia. So far, I have lost my front gate and some yard chattel, that's annoying but not life altering. But it got me thinking about security, and running security camera systems on low power consumption systems.

The summary is that I really like having IR cameras with high megapixels but at 12-18 watts each at night, plus the nvr, etc, it runs into a bit of a hit with 8 cams.

So I came up with what I think is a nice solution. Its a management system on a linux platform on an sbc with PoE. Im targeting half or less power consumption of a grid tied nvr. I want to develop it into a product, so I put my ad up on Indiegogo. What I'd like from this forum is feedback, like if its of interest, other needs, etc. Also. id prefer not to be banned for posting a link lol. I would like to consolidate the discussion there, but here sees like a good place to start.

Thoughts? thanks in advance.

I dont understand your product as it already exists.

Many POE cameras support RTSP which any NAS running a NVR app can connect to and record video.

In the world of $.40/w solar panels lamenting 200w a day seems very 1990's solar thinking.

ok, maybe I should make another thread about how to get awesome prices on stuff shipped to Hawaii, because my local prices are a dollar a watt for panels, and batteries make that markup blush. 90s thinking? Totally guilty.

But thanks for the input, connecting to the real world is hard from here.

because my local prices are a dollar a watt for panels, and batteries make that markup blush. 90s thinking? Totally guilty.
Dollar a watt is about the going rate if you're buying 100w panels off of Amazon so for your neck of the world that's pretty good. I saw 100w panels at the Home Depot in Guam a few times and just couldn't imagine paying over $300 for a 100w panel.

I feel your pain dude, and unless you are buying an entire container worth and can sell them all, the price for shipping through Matson is killer. The fact that they're currently 11x average rate doesn't help either. :cautious:

Back