diy solar

diy solar

Off grid solar air conditioning system for my parents studio

D

davelondon

My parents live in the UK, which is usually a pleasant temperature. However recent heat-waves in the summer (40C / 104F) have meant we're thinking about adding air conditioning. They're currently spending a large slice of their monthly budget on heating in the winter, so we'd like to do this without adding to their electric bill in the summer. Also, in the winter we'd like to use the system in heating mode to reduce the heating bill.

I've been doing lots of research into a similar system for a truck based camper, but it's possible I'm ignoring cheaper / better solutions. Perhaps you can take a look at my ideas / the components and give me your thoughts?

They have a studio outbuilding, about 6m x 4m with a roof that is always in the sun. It's built recently with good insulation, so we're thinking about a small 12,000 BTU system in this space. I think we can fit about 12 x 400w panels on the roof.

I like the idea of a 48V native aircon system, so we don't need an inverter. I was planning on using the Hotspot Energy system in the truck, but there's now a similar Chinese system which is re-sold by many alibaba merchants for less than a quarter of the price. I've been chatting with Solar Green who seem to be very knowledgable about the system and quoted me $418 for the air conditioner plus $780 for shipping to the UK (including import tax).

We'd like to use the system in the evenings after the sun goes down, so a battery backup is essential. I have 16 x 280Ah EVE LiFePO4 cells which I'm happy to donate to the project. I was planning on using these cells in the truck project with an Overkill Solar BMS, and that seems like a good choice here too.

Assuming 12 of these 425W panels, arranged in two strings of 3S2P, we could use two Victron 150/45 MPPT controllers (about £350 each). Perhaps there are cheaper options?

We'll install the system in the studio, and monitor it for a year. If it works well and there's an excess of power generated, we'll think about adding another similar aircon unit (or maybe two) to the main house.

Panels£2,145.6012 x 425W Trina Vertex S Mono
Brackets / installation£500.00???
MPPT controllers£700.002 x Victron MPPT 150/45
Cells£0.0016 x EVE 280Ah LiFePO4 (already have these)
BMS£167.33Overkill Solar BMS
Aircon£351.12Super Green Solar TKFR-35GW/DC-H with R410a
Aircon delivery and import tax£655.20
Cables / fuses£200.00???
Total£4,719.25

Questions:
  • Is these a better / cheaper way do do this?
  • Am I mad going for a 48V DC aircon system?
  • Am I mad going for a direct-from-China aircon system with no reviews?
  • What's the easiest / cheapest way to mount the panels on the roof? We'll be doing this DIY to save cash. The roof is a normal flat-roof construction (plywood with a bitumen waterproof membrane) at a 7 degree angle.
  • Any better / cheaper MPPT controllers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Using a solar estimate tool for their location in the UK, this is my estimate of the total energy generated by the installation. Running the aircon on full (750W) for 24 hours uses 18kWh, so we can work out what percentage of this is generated each day for each month:

MonthTotal energy per monthAverage energy per dayAverage energy per day for 12 x 425W panelsAfter additional system losses (~10%?)Max load @ 100% duty cycleSolar provides % of max duty cycle
kWh per kW of solar array capacitykWh per kW of solar array capacitykWhkWhkWh
Jan240.804.13.718.020%
Feb391.306.66.018.033%
Mar762.5312.911.618.065%
Apr1103.6718.716.818.094%
May1274.2321.619.418.0108%
Jun1334.4322.620.318.0113%
Jul1334.4322.620.318.0113%
Aug1103.6718.716.818.094%
Sep852.8314.513.018.072%
Oct511.708.77.818.043%
Nov290.974.94.418.025%
Dec200.673.43.118.017%

Am I mad going for a direct-from-China aircon system with no reviews?
Link?
a normal flat-roof construction (plywood with a bitumen waterproof membrane) at a 7 degree angle
Making a better angle to face the sun will help. Having some panels (for 1 SCC?) facing a little east to catch morning sun, and some west to harvest later will smooth out charging to better match use.

Seems reasonable. Is this cheaper than buying electricity in the long haul?
Will you be nearby to keep this system running? Tech skills and interest fades around 70 ...

Here's the aircon system:

The same system seems to be available from lots of suppliers on alibaba - e.g.:

Will you be nearby to keep this system running? Tech skills and interest fades around 70 ...

Yeah it's definitely a bit more complicated than a single box solution, but my Dad is pretty handy with this stuff, and if we DIY the whole project then it should be pretty simple to diagnose problems if they come up later.

Here's the aircon system:
You should start a thread asking for feedback "48V DC Split Mini - any thoughts?"

I dunno. I love my Pioneer split mini. I really like the idea of a DC version running from solar and batteries but know nothing. There are some here who have experience with DC split minis.

Making a better angle to face the sun will help. Having some panels (for 1 SCC?) facing a little east to catch morning sun, and some west to harvest later will smooth out charging to better match use.

Yes optimising the placement of the panels isn't something I've thought about... and I guess this will depend on the bracket system we decide on...

I really like the idea of a DC version running from solar and batteries but know nothing.

Yeah I've seen several reviews of the Hotspot Energy system and they all say it works flawlessly. It's pretty expensive though @ $2,000 without shipping. Also they won't organise shipping to the UK, so I'll need to get a shipping company to pick up from their warehouse in the USA and handle all the export / import paperwork. Probably very expensive. I'll add a thread about the Chinese version.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should start a thread asking for feedback "48V DC Split Mini - any thoughts?"

I like the idea of a 48V native aircon system, so we don't need an inverter. I was planning on using the Hotspot Energy system in the truck, but there's now a similar Chinese system which is re-sold by many alibaba merchants for less than a quarter of the price. I've been chatting with Solar Green who seem to be very knowledgable about the system and quoted me $418 for the air conditioner plus $780 for shipping to the UK (including import tax).

FYI this was a misunderstanding: the 48V DC system is $732 USD + $800 USD shipping, which is making the 48V DC system a bit more expensive than the 240V DC system, so I'm leaning towards 240V.

My parents live in the UK, which is usually a pleasant temperature. However recent heat-waves in the summer (40C / 104F) have meant we're thinking about adding air conditioning. They're currently spending a large slice of their monthly budget on heating in the winter, so we'd like to do this without adding to their electric bill in the summer. Also, in the winter we'd like to use the system in heating mode to reduce the heating bill.

I've been doing lots of research into a similar system for a truck based camper, but it's possible I'm ignoring cheaper / better solutions. Perhaps you can take a look at my ideas / the components and give me your thoughts?

They have a studio outbuilding, about 6m x 4m with a roof that is always in the sun. It's built recently with good insulation, so we're thinking about a small 12,000 BTU system in this space. I think we can fit about 12 x 400w panels on the roof.

We'd like to use the system in the evenings after the sun goes down, so a battery backup is essential. I have 16 x 280Ah EVE LiFePO4 cells which I'm happy to donate to the project. I was planning on using these cells in the truck project with an Overkill Solar BMS, and that seems like a good choice here too.

Assuming 12 of these 425W panels, arranged in two strings of 3S2P, we could use two Victron 150/45 MPPT controllers (about £350 each). Perhaps there are cheaper options?

We'll install the system in the studio, and monitor it for a year. If it works well and there's an excess of power generated, we'll think about adding another similar aircon unit (or maybe two) to the main house.

Panels£2,145.6012 x 425W Trina Vertex S Mono
Brackets / installation£500.00???
MPPT controllers£700.002 x Victron MPPT 150/45
Cells£0.0016 x EVE 280Ah LiFePO4 (already have these)
BMS£167.33Overkill Solar BMS
Aircon£351.12Super Green Solar TKFR-35GW/DC-H with R410a
Aircon delivery and import tax£655.20
Cables / fuses£200.00???
Total£4,719.25

Questions:
  • Is these a better / cheaper way do do this?
  • Am I mad going for a 48V DC aircon system?
  • Am I mad going for a direct-from-China aircon system with no reviews?
  • What's the easiest / cheapest way to mount the panels on the roof? We'll be doing this DIY to save cash. The roof is a normal flat-roof construction (plywood with a bitumen waterproof membrane) at a 7 degree angle.
  • Any better / cheaper MPPT controllers?
I'm going with a Hot Spot unit. Wouldn't touch a ChinaCCP product for anything these days. Here is what your $ will go to fund when you send it to ChinaCCP these days: https://community.apan.org/wg/tradoc-g2/mad-scientist/m/articles-of-interest/440821

Back