diy solar

diy solar

Off the shelf inrush limiter / input surge limiter

Roswell Bob

Solar Enthusiast
I am looking for an inrush limiter to mitigate the charging spike when powering up inverter. I am aware of the REC unit. I am looking for other options. I'm not interested in manually connecting resistor. This has to be automatic.

Have you seen this:

Have you seen this:

This is good, but - What happens when the BMS disconnects inverter from say an overcurrent or battery cell undervoltge event? When the BMS reconnects the inverter to battery there will be a large inrush current. Maybe large enough to clear the 125A Class T fuse. No? That is why I am interested in automatic. I have spoken to Inverter vendor and he is supposed to be sending me the input capacitance.

I am looking for an inrush limiter to mitigate the charging spike when powering up inverter. I am aware of the REC unit. I am looking for other options. I'm not interested in manually connecting resistor. This has to be automatic.
I'm a bit confused by what you have described. There is a situation when powering up the inverter, but you want it to be automatic. Does the inverter power up automatically?

If it is a normal situation where you power turn on a switch, it seems that the resource that @FilterGuy pointed to is the answer. I built my precharge switch having not read the document, but then I read it and realized I could use his handy-dandy label for my switch. Great! The resource is great, and doing the precharge is a good idea for systems connected to Li batteries, which can deliver way more current than your inverter (or its capacitors, or your wiring) want to see.

This is good, but - What happens when the BMS disconnects inverter from say an overcurrent or battery cell undervoltge event? When the BMS reconnects the inverter to battery there will be a large inrush current. Maybe large enough to clear the 125A Class T fuse. No? That is why I am interested in automatic. I have spoken to Inverter vendor and he is supposed to be sending me the input capacitance.

I have worried about the BMS turn on/off, but have no good design to prevent the potential issue. I worried a lot about that till I had more experience with real-world systems and have not seen problems......that I am aware of.

It is quite common (and desirable) for a system to disconnect an inverter at low voltage - and automatically reconnect when charging resumes. All of my auxiliary systems are setup this way.

A good example is having a RC aircon set to stay on until low voltage is reached, then system shuts down until PV charging resumes.

It is a great example of why two complete systems are a good idea when you are off-grid.

I use REC precharge units, ZEVA used to make a similar unit - not sure if he still is. Search EV forums to find what they use.

Why don’t you want to use the REC?
It's not that I don't want to use it - I actually have no reason not to. I am just interested to know what alternatives exist.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably go with the REC unit. I'm unsure what I need for the BMS input tho.

Why don’t you want to use the REC?
How would this work without a contactor? $70 for the REC precharge and $177 for a contactor seems mighty steep when you could do the same thing with $10 worth of parts off amazon.

REC-precharge1.png

Last edited:
I have worried about the BMS turn on/off, but have no good design to prevent the potential issue. I worried a lot about that till I had more experience with real-world systems and have not seen problems......that I am aware of.
It is very possible that a (clever) BMS can charge a capacitor bank. I recently did a very large circuit breaker for a client. The spec was to charge a large 1000v capacitor bank when closing the breaker. Breaker was near 100 SiC fets in parallel.

If the case temperature of the mosfet is known then it is fairly simple to do. Pick a maximum junction temperature. Since the thermal impednce is known the only variable is power. The power can be limited to keep Tj<Tjmax. The voltage across the fet is measured and maximum current is calculated. Gate drive voltage controls the current directly. So in a nutshell by controlling the gate drive voltage the maximum junction temperature can be controlled.

With enough fets in parallel a brute force method might be used. Just stay inside the FBSOA curve I suppose.

The problem would be blown Class T fuses. I've been trying to get Signature Solar to give me the input bus capacitance so I can figure out if the problem is real or if I am over engineering it.

I'm a bit confused by what you have described. There is a situation when powering up the inverter, but you want it to be automatic. Does the inverter power up automatically?

If it is a normal situation where you power turn on a switch, it seems that the resource that @FilterGuy pointed to is the answer. I built my precharge switch having not read the document, but then I read it and realized I could use his handy-dandy label for my switch. Great! The resource is great, and doing the precharge is a good idea for systems connected to Li batteries, which can deliver way more current than your inverter (or its capacitors, or your wiring) want to see.
No. It is the BMS that powers up automatically.

The problem would be blown Class T fuses. I've been trying to get Signature Solar to give me the input bus capacitance so I can figure out if the problem is real or if I am over engineering it.
I understand the conceptual problem, and I used to worry about it a lot. Even though there are reports of blowing a fuse when hooking up an inverter, I have not found it to be a problem when the BMS turns on/off in the real world. I suspect there are a couple things that mitigate the problem:

1) The FETS in the BMS do not turn on instantly like a switch. This means that by the time the FETs are full on, the capacitors are partially charged.
2) Even with a fast blow fuse, the remaining energy of the pulse is low enough that it does not blow the fuse.
3) I try to make sure the loads and chargers are set up such that they shut down before the BMS does. This means the event of the BMS shutting down and subsequently turning back on is rare.

It could be that I am just lucky, but if the suspected problem was common, I would think we would see a lot more reports of it here on the forum.

BTW: I really don't like using contactors/relays like the REC system requires......but that is a whole different thread.

It is very possible that a (clever) BMS can charge a capacitor bank. I recently did a very large circuit breaker for a client. The spec was to charge a large 1000v capacitor bank when closing the breaker. Breaker was near 100 SiC fets in parallel.

If the case temperature of the mosfet is known then it is fairly simple to do. Pick a maximum junction temperature. Since the thermal impednce is known the only variable is power. The power can be limited to keep Tj<Tjmax. The voltage across the fet is measured and maximum current is calculated. Gate drive voltage controls the current directly. So in a nutshell by controlling the gate drive voltage the maximum junction temperature can be controlled.

With enough fets in parallel a brute force method might be used. Just stay inside the FBSOA curve I suppose.
If it is built into the BMS it is even easier than that. Just dedicate a FET or two to a pre-charge circuit and put it in series with a resistor that limits the current. Turn the pre-charge on first and once the voltage gets high enough turn on the main bank of FETs. The capacitors do not have to be fully charged. Even charging them to half the battery voltage will probably reduce the surge to a low enough level to eliminate all possible problems. (For safety, you would want to limit the time the pre-charge is allowed to be on and if it is exceeded, shut everything down with an error. This would prevent the resistor from getting too hot. Alternatively, use a high wattage resistor and heat sink so even if there is a dead short on the output, the resistor does not overheat)

I understand the conceptual problem, and I used to worry about it a lot. Even though there are reports of blowing a fuse when hooking up an inverter, I have not found it to be a problem when the BMS turns on/off in the real world. I suspect there are a couple things that mitigate the problem:

1) The FETS in the BMS do not turn on instantly like a switch. This means that by the time the FETs are full on, the capacitors are partially charged.
2) Even with a fast blow fuse, the remaining energy of the pulse is low enough that it does not blow the fuse.
3) I try to make sure the loads and chargers are set up such that they shut down before the BMS does. This means the event of the BMS shutting down and subsequently turning back on is rare.

It could be that I am just lucky, but if the suspected problem was common, I would think we would see a lot more reports of it here on the forum.

BTW: I really don't like using contactors/relays like the REC system requires......but that is a whole different thread.
Ok, share your parts list.

Use 3 relays, otherwise 1 each. figure another buc or two for wire and crimps and so forth. Maybe we can afford your $7 box :)

Back