diy solar

diy solar

On The Fence

LanduytG

Solar Enthusiast
My 12 LiFePO4 cells for a total of 840ah are on the boat and hope to have them around June 1st. Just ordered six 24v 255 watt Canadian Solar panels from santansolar.com $454 shipped. Now what I'm on the fence about is inverter and SCC. Leaning toward the Victron Multiplus 3000 but tell me way I should get something different. Also if I went with Victron then I would want to lean toward Victron for the SCC but they are way more expensive. What should I get?? By the way this is going into my 40ft 5th wheel RV.

Greg

I may be biased since I went with almost all Victron, except for the inverter since they don't offer anything in the 4000 watt, 24 volt area. The way all of their components communicate and are readily accessible with my laptop or smartphone app is pretty great. They are considered top tier equipment for a reason and from everything I've researched, they are very reliable. If you have Victron related questions, we have a Victron expert that post here named Justin from Bay Marine Supply. They have good prices and fast shipping and saved me a few dollars over ordering via Amazon.

You say, "a total of 840ah", this is quite an unusual statement within the context of cells. Just checking, when you buy, say, a 100AH cell, that's 100AH at 3.3V, if you then add another three in series, that's 100AH at 12V, if you add another four, that's 100AH at 24V - you don't cumulatively add their capacities when connecting cells series.
Leaning toward the Victron Multiplus 3000
I hate being a 'victron fanboy' but I can only speak from my own experiences and everything I've bought from them has just been bulletproof. My MultiPlus is going on for five years old now; it's a trouble-free work horse. One thing to consider, take a look at their Color Control GX, if this device is something that appeals to you, then maybe their all-in-one (EasySolar) will appeal to you too (Inverter/Charger/SCC/Control). I dare say it will be cheaper than buying all the individual components.

You say, "a total of 840ah", this is quite an unusual statement within the context of cells. Just checking, when you buy, say, a 100AH cell, that's 100AH at 3.3V, if you then add another three in series, that's 100AH at 12V, if you add another four, that's 100AH at 24V - you don't cumulatively add their capacities when connecting cells series.

I hate being a 'victron fanboy' but I can only speak from my own experiences and everything I've bought from them has just been bulletproof. My MultiPlus is going on for five years old now; it's a trouble-free work horse. One thing to consider, take a look at their Color Control GX, if this device is something that appeals to you, then maybe their all-in-one (EasySolar) will appeal to you too (Inverter/Charger/SCC/Control). I dare say it will be cheaper than buying all the individual components.

Nothing unusual at all 4s3p of 280ah cells. So 280x3=840ah.

I ended up buying all Victron MultiPlus, SCC, and BMV. I don't realy need the color display and I don't like all in one products.

Greg

Back